Best windshield lights? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Best windshield lights?

All,
Been reading quite a bit about windshield lights, but having trouble determining what I need because everyone's situation seems a little different.

I'm new to the jeep and don't do any significant wheeling(yet) but spend plenty of time on unlit mountain roads and some back-woods driving. Looking for some additional long-throw lighting to be mounted at the windshield, ideally connected to highbeams and coming on automatically.

Recommendations on best option? See a lot of people going to D2's, but wasn't sure how their range compairs to a traditional halogen or HID spot. I prefer the look of something like the IPF's, but could be talked into D2's if they're best for my needs.

So what is best option for long range, and for being able to hook in(hopefully SOMEone makes plug and play) with my high beams? I'd really prefer not to need a separate switch in the cabin.

Thanks for your help,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Wheeler

D2s are made in America and are brighter then you can imagine. D2s have my vote
post #3 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I don't doubt the brightness, but are the "spot" versions focused enough to outperform more traditional spots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Absolutely. I didn't bother with the spots, I have the driving pattern (combo of spot and flood.)

Can see for a mile with them. Amazing lights. Going to get another two sets, one set for the bumper and another for the rear.
post #5 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Wheeler

Go with the D2s. You won't be sorry. I personally do not think you will need a light that projects long distances unless you are moving at higher rate of speed. The D2s do everything I have needed them to do.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
post #6 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Granite Guru

I have the D2 spots and are great, wanna get a pair of duallys for the factory foglight holes once the cashflow starts flowing again

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #7 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have the D1 spots on the windshield and even those are impressive. You can't go wrong with Rigid... USA made, nearly indestructible, and pretty much lifetime of the vehicle lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 51 Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I have the D1 spots on the windshield and even those are impressive. You can't go wrong with Rigid... USA made, nearly indestructible, and pretty much lifetime of the vehicle lights.
Same here, I think the originally duallys are enough and half the price of the D2s.

Ron
post #9 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the vote is for D2's, as I somewhat expected. So the next question, can I wire them so they work automatically with the high beams? I'd love something fairly plug and play if possible. I have the HIDProjectors retrofit kit and built it myself(they are awesome, btw), which wasn't a big deal, but I am somewhere between newb and tinkerer. I can figure out the hookup for the D2's if needed, but would need some instructions.

Also, last question. What mount do you recommend to minimize glare? I've seen some reports of issues with glare on the hood, and I have a white jk, so I assume that's worst case scenario?
post #10 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso77 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like the vote is for D2's, as I somewhat expected. So the next question, can I wire them so they work automatically with the high beams? I'd love something fairly plug and play if possible. I have the HIDProjectors retrofit kit and built it myself(they are awesome, btw), which wasn't a big deal, but I am somewhere between newb and tinkerer. I can figure out the hookup for the D2's if needed, but would need some instructions.

Also, last question. What mount do you recommend to minimize glare? I've seen some reports of issues with glare on the hood, and I have a white jk, so I assume that's worst case scenario?
Yes. You would need to mount them on a relay harness (you can use a $10 off the shelf HID harness from ebay) and tap into the high beam circuit for signal only. THe actual power will be getting pulled from the battery.
post #11 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I would run a switch so that you can control them when high beams are not on. Tied into the high beams you are limiting yourself. Not that hard to wire in a couple of lights with a relay and a switch. I have a good wiring diagram that works for me (caveman).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #12 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Rock God

An LED light isn't going to have the throw of an HID, or even a good halogen spot light. Out of all the LED lights out there at the moment the only light that comes close to matching an HID light for the throw is the Baja Designs Squadron light with 3600 lumens per light, which is a bit more than an HID light.

At the same time the light can't be collected and reflected as effeciently as an HID light since there isn't a single pinpoint light source, and this is why an LED light can't be concentrated and thrown as far. An LED spot beam is usually in the 20-30 degree range, and an quality HID sopt beam will be in the 8-10 degree range due to the differences in how the light is generated.

If you are only looking for distance then the HID light is the way to go since they can illuminate about 900 yards down the road with usable light, which is about 30.5 seconds warning at 60 mph. This is further than your eyes can really see small details like a deer in the road, so you will not outrun the lights at all. The Dually D2 will light up about 140 yards down the road with usable light (your stock headlights on bright have more distance), which is only about 4.0 ahead of you at 60mph. A Baja Designs Squadron will light up about 400 yards down the road with usable light which is about 13.5 seconds of warning.

Based on speeds and reaction times this means that HID is good for 80+ mph, Rigid is good up to about 40 mph, and Baja Desings is good up to about 80 mph.

Jon

08 Rubicon

Last edited by JeepinJon; 08-24-2012 at 08:23 AM.
post #13 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Some good info right there

Bryan
post #14 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Rock God

If your main goal is a driving light I would mount them on the bumper. The light from a windshield mount reflects off the hood and back at your eyes and actually will decrease their effectiveness. Windshield lights are better used to light the area to the side of the vehicle so you can see around tight turns in the trail and throw a lot of light over a large area. IMO windshield lights are pointless to use as driving lights but everyone does because they look cool. My rigid dualies are aimed down and to the side and are aimed perfect for lighting the trail while climbing a ledge (since the headlight would be pointed at the sky) or making tight turns. They don't throw any light further than my headlights so I never use them on the street.
For night driving on back roads you should be looking to use a light that is around the same height as your headlights or slighty lower, either on the bumper or a light bar in front of the grill.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #15 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to JSingr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badd Andy View Post
I have the D2 spots and are great, wanna get a pair of duallys for the factory foglight holes once the cashflow starts flowing again
Would you know if they are they are part # 50231 driving white?

tia
post #16 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow, thanks Jon and Lilwb for the info. Based in Jon's description, I think HID is the best for my situation, since I'm looking to prioritize throw over width. That being said, to Lil's point, if I go with a focused HID beam, am I still ok with windshield mounts or will glare be an issue? I have to admit I love the look of mounting them there, especially since I feel you need a good aftermarket bumper before you can mount lights on it. Am I wasting my time by not mounting spots to the bumper instead of the winshield?
post #17 of 51 Old 08-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Owner: TWF

I'm going to have to vote for our T2's. These are from our new ProSeries line.

I have them in stock. These little dudes put off more light than your headlights on high. They also come with a watertight switch, inline fuse, as well as the harness. They have brackets on the that make them very easy to bolt up.

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #18 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Wow, thanks Jon and Lilwb for the info. Based in Jon's description, I think HID is the best for my situation, since I'm looking to prioritize throw over width. That being said, to Lil's point, if I go with a focused HID beam, am I still ok with windshield mounts or will glare be an issue? I have to admit I love the look of mounting them there, especially since I feel you need a good aftermarket bumper before you can mount lights on it. Am I wasting my time by not mounting spots to the bumper instead of the winshield?
Ya I thin that on the windshield would be a waste. You can get a inexpensive light mount that sits in front of the grill. Sell it if you need to but the one I'm thinking of might still work with a new bumper. Check quadratec.com

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #19 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Granite Guru

I have some windshield lights, I would not do it again. To much glare, from the hood. Jeep is white, other colors might work better.

post #20 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Granite Guru

I run the D2 driving beams on the windshield and they leave a lot of light on the hood. So much that I am thinking about moving them to the bumper to preserve night vision.
post #21 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. I'm thinking I may skip the windshield lights. Love the look but not worth the hassle from the sounds of it. Will probably hold off until I upgrade the bumper at some point and ass some spots then.
post #22 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Owner: TWF

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm thinking I may skip the windshield lights. Love the look but not worth the hassle from the sounds of it. Will probably hold off until I upgrade the bumper at some point and ass some spots then.
I hope you do not get ass spots. That sounds painful

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #23 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Rock God

I have a dark blue jeep and I have no problem at soul with the glare from the hood. But I also just have the oldfashion kc spots.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #24 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 YJ View Post
I'm going to have to vote for our T2's. These are from our new ProSeries line.
I can't find them on your website.????
post #25 of 51 Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Banned

Got rigid duallys. Dig em.

They glare way less off the hood than my old incandescents did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode