Got my AEV procal wet... -_- - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Got my AEV procal wet... -_-

... well more like submerged in mud. So while wheelin a few months back at Creek I decided to take on the frog hole and not to my knowledge my AEV ProCal ended up on the floor taking a swim. Obviously its totally dried out now but now that I need to reprogram my ECU Im afraid to plug the damn thing in! My biggest fear is it shorting and frying the ECU mid tune. Should I be worried? Should I crack it open and clean it with alcohol? I just dont want a stupid $150 tuner to fry my much more expensive ECU! I believe that now that im tuned I cant even get a new procal to reprogram. Any advice? Thanks.

09 X, 3.25" Rough Country Lift, NO SWAYBARS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 34 Swamper's, KC 130w Daylighter, Smittybilt SRC Rock Rails, AEV Snorel, HF Badlands 12000lb, Ace Tube Fenders, River Raider extended breathers, Poison Spyder Hood Louvers
Current projects: off road trailer.
Future upgrades: lockers, long arms, Drive shafts, Humvee 37's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I would crack it open to at least inspect the circuit board traces. Whenever you get PCB's wet the potential to have traces short out is possible if any moisture or iron deposit is left behind. Alcohol won't help much, you would need contact cleaner or something that dries quickly and is safe for the epoxy coating over the traces. Maybe contact AEV and see what they can do, possible low cost exchange while salvaging your VIN? I would be very reserved about plugging it in until you know the internal condition though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

I would contact AEV and see if it's sake to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I would contact AEV and see if it's sake to use.
This

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Put it in a brown paper bag full of uncooked rice for a couple of days. Works for cell phones.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

If a cell phone shorts out, you get a new cellphone. If the Procal shorts out...
post #7 of 8 Old 08-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Rock God

It won't have shorted while unplugged. The main problem you would have is if it has corroded internally from the water. Electronics are very water tolerant provided they are sealed, (of course), or off when they get wet. But, if the traces or contacts corrode, all bets are off.

I worked in avioincs for 20 years and the typical cleaning method was to wash in soapy water, rinse in clean, then rinse off the water with isopropyl alcohol (it doesn't leave a residue). Then usually dry in an oven at 80 degrees Celcius for half an hour.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode