Electrical Bug - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Electrical Bug

Can you help? Here are my symptoms:

When I hit the auto lock button, the horn doesn't doesn't chirp. Not a big deal, just wondering if someone else has had that issue and has a fix.
The compass doesn't work (I checked the compass module above the stereo and it is still connected).
The center circle for my AC control doesn't light up. The light behind the air speed level doesn't work along with the AC button and recirc button (probably needs something just plugged in).

None of these things bother me. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Granite Guru

I know it sounds crazy. First thing, check to see if your battery terminals are corroded then unhook the battery and wait 15 minutes. This has fixed some of my crazy electrical issues.

Rock Krawler 3.5
8 RK flex arms
Front and Rear RK Trac bars
Tera flex 2.5 bump stops
Procomp 17x9
315/70/17 Duratracs
Bilstein 5100s
XRC 10 winch
Homemade front and rear bumpers
jks disconnects
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun01 View Post
I know it sounds crazy. First thing, check to see if your battery terminals are corroded then unhook the battery and wait 15 minutes. This has fixed some of my crazy electrical issues.
Positive or negative terminal?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM

JK's are controlled almost completely computer controlled. They communicate through a system/protocol called CANBUS.

I hate to sound negative, but enough strange symptoms typically isn't just 'coincidence' ...

You can try removing the terminals, both of them.

I'm not sure if I would personally go this route, but after you've disconnected the leads from the terminals, you can touch the leads/wires to each other. All this does is act as a direct short to remove any stored electricity in capacitors. I hope there's someone who can do a better job of explaining this than I, but by completely removing all the electricity from the system - anything that isn't hard memory would be lost. In this case, that's exactly the state you want to get back to - original.

If at the original state, you still experience symptoms - you have a more significant issue. See the dealer.

There is always a change that data wires were damaged & that's the cause. Without the proper tools, that can be a great task - track down a pinched/shorted/cut data wire. You can't test data lines for voltage. You can check if they're live or not, buts very difficult to trigger the fluctuations in voltage you might need to test the circuit.

All I would try at this point is to disconnect the negative terminal, let it sit for 15 min or so. Reconnect.if problem persists, see the dealer if you decide it's driving you nuts.

p.s. while a needle in a haystack is always fun, if you have the time, you can always pull carpet & dash looking for damaged data lines. There's no tests needed when you can visibly see a damaged wire ... Best of luck !!
post #5 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I think I'm going on a wild goose chase...or looking for a needle in a haystack. Last night I threw the wonderful p0481 engine code. Come to find out it was just a blown fuse (M34) controlling the fan. So, the good news is that I was able to replace the fuse and the check engine light was off this morning. The BAD news is something tripped that fuse. I need to find out why. When searching that code through all of the jeep forums, what I described is pretty common when throwing that code. If it continues to be an issue I will need to track down the short and hopefully it is just a dirty connection.

post #6 of 6 Old 08-24-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Anyone know where the Cooling Fan 2 Relay Control is located? I haven't blown the fuse (yet) but I still want to look around and make sure everything is kosher and yes, by kosher I mean blessed by a Rabbi and free of pig shit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode