Check engine light post repair - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Check engine light post repair

Hi guys,

Have a 2011 Unlimited. About 5 months ago, had to have the throttle body adjusted due to some rough idling. Got a check engine light at the time. Since then, no issues. However, whenever I turn the key to the "ON" position (before turning to "Start", where all the electronics turn on), the check engine light keeps coming on. Then, when I start the engine, it goes away. Not sure WTF is going on - maybe it's not a big deal, but I hate seeing it come on every time I go to start the car and the last time I took to the dealership, nothing changed. For just under a year since I purchased, I don't expect ANY lights to remain on that shouldn't.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Granite Guru

i am pretty sure that when you turn the key from off to power( not start) all the system lights run checks. the engine light stays on. once you turn the key again and start the jeep if there is no codes/engine problems the light goes out almost right away.

So-Cal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Krew O.G.
RKDONKY (work in progress)
'11 JKU Rubicon, bright silver
post #3 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks jk zero - sounds like its normal perhaps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

The Check Engine (Along with nearly every light on the dash) comes on when turning the key from off-to-on. The Check Engine light should go out with in a few seconds of the engine starting. Every Vehicle works this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Dash lights

ESP/BAS,Anti-Skid and ABS lights come on at start and don't go out. And the brakes drag fo a bit when I star to roll. Auto zone founnd no codes and thoughts
post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbuch9309 View Post
ESP/BAS,Anti-Skid and ABS lights come on at start and don't go out. And the brakes drag fo a bit when I star to roll. Auto zone founnd no codes and thoughts
The most common reason for this is an alignment issue or something bent in the front end. The brakes are reacting to a misalignment in the front end geometry and the system is trying to keep you safe. Check the tie-rod (most common bent part of the system) and then look at everything sale. Check for loose bolts or even broken welds. If nothing is visually wrong, go somewhere that has s trusted alignment rack and get it aligned.

Hope this helps?

post #7 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Lights could be due to a trashed wheel sensor. The dragging could be the uphill assist just doing its thing. See if it does the same thing on a downward incline when you're getting going. If it does not drag the brakes a little on the downward incline, your Jeep is functioning normally.

Have you tried to disable ESP/ABS by pressing the button on the dash that looks just like the light? Maybe you disabled it at one point and forgot to swap it back?

post #8 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Lights could be due to a trashed wheel sensor. The dragging could be the uphill assist just doing its thing. See if it does the same thing on a downward incline when you're getting going. If it does not drag the brakes a little on the downward incline, your Jeep is functioning normally.

Have you tried to disable ESP/ABS by pressing the button on the dash that looks just like the light? Maybe you disabled it at one point and forgot to swap it back?
Good call Dan! I always overlook the sensor. Hopefully its something simple!

post #9 of 9 Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Check the ground wire on the driver's side fender by the brake master cylinder. I did some electrical work and forgot to put the ground back on and had the same symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode