SPOD and radio gremlins - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

SPOD and radio gremlins

Just picked up a new to me 07 JKU Rubi. Previous owner installed SPOD and lots of accessories. Two sets of KCs, Tantrum rock lights, CB and winch all on SPOD. He also put in a REN mygig.

Not sure the two are related but at times, the SPOD won't power on at all. Then randomly it will start working. I've notice at times the radio is slow to power on once I crank the jeep, sometimes 2 or 3 minutes...like no power is being sent to it.

I've checked the ground wires and fuses and all seem ok. First priority is the SPOD...I'm probably going to replace the radio anyway. Any thoughts on what would cause the SPOD to intermittently work??

Thanks.

SOLD: 2007 JKU Rubicon : Rescue Green : 6 Spd : 3.5" RE Lift : Rancho 9000 shocks : 35" Nitto TGs : KMC Misfits : Bulldog Fab Front Bumper/Skid : Skidrow Engine/Trans Skid : PSC Evap Skid : PSC RockerKnockers : Warn M800 Winch : SOLID Diff Covers : Poly Perf Tie Rod : Cobra 75 : KC Windshield and Bumper Lights : Tantrum Rock Lights : Dual Tops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Rock God

The sPOD has ONE main power line, to the battery positive, it's pwr fuse is in that line, has a red cover and should be right next to the outside of the batt.---

The fuse should be OK, but check the positive conns (both ends) and the fuse, it's a biggun. 60 amp I think-

Good luck

JIMBO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #3 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Exactly the spod is designed so your not hacking into the factory wiring harness. I say the two issues are not related.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Adventure Jeep Packages/Parts
480-788-7245 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Perfomance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Customs Ripp Superchargers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the input. I'll check both again tonight. Didn't check the fuse...could be a lose connection maybe. I hope that's all it is.

Radio issue is probably coincidence in timing and I'll have to pull it to make sure all the connections are tight.

SOLD: 2007 JKU Rubicon : Rescue Green : 6 Spd : 3.5" RE Lift : Rancho 9000 shocks : 35" Nitto TGs : KMC Misfits : Bulldog Fab Front Bumper/Skid : Skidrow Engine/Trans Skid : PSC Evap Skid : PSC RockerKnockers : Warn M800 Winch : SOLID Diff Covers : Poly Perf Tie Rod : Cobra 75 : KC Windshield and Bumper Lights : Tantrum Rock Lights : Dual Tops
post #5 of 7 Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM
JKowners Vendor

sPOD guy here...

apollojeep,
First and foremost you mention the winch attached to the sPOD? What are you controlling on the winch using the sPOD? I do NOT recommend this!
I would check all connections. Especially the battery terminals.
Is your engine running when this happens? How old is your battery. I'm thinking that if your voltage is drooping below the 10.6 volts, then our LVCO circuit is doing it's job and cutting the power off to our system.
As far as I can tell by your description, it sounds like the battery is not producing enough voltage to handle all the accessories.
A battery is like a piggy bank. If you keep taking out without putting back you will soon have
nothing. Present day battery power requirements are huge! Consider today’s vehicle and all the
electrical devices that are powered by a battery. All these electronics require a source of reliable power.
The average battery life has become shorter as the energy requirements have increased. They
say the average lifespan of an OEM battery is somewhere around 6 – 48 months depending
on usage.
When your OEM battery finally fails, replace it with a good AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt) battery such as
the Odyssey or DieHard Platinum battery. Remember that your battery’s sole purpose is to
start your vehicle! Your alternator is what powers your accessories. So please try to keep your engine running when
powering any electrical devices!

Let me know what the outcome is.
Or call me any time.
661-755-8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollojeep View Post
Just picked up a new to me 07 JKU Rubi. Previous owner installed SPOD and lots of accessories. Two sets of KCs, Tantrum rock lights, CB and winch all on SPOD. He also put in a REN mygig.

Not sure the two are related but at times, the SPOD won't power on at all. Then randomly it will start working. I've notice at times the radio is slow to power on once I crank the jeep, sometimes 2 or 3 minutes...like no power is being sent to it.

I've checked the ground wires and fuses and all seem ok. First priority is the SPOD...I'm probably going to replace the radio anyway. Any thoughts on what would cause the SPOD to intermittently work??

Thanks.

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #6 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPOD-guy View Post
apollojeep,
First and foremost you mention the winch attached to the sPOD? What are you controlling on the winch using the sPOD? I do NOT recommend this!
I would check all connections. Especially the battery terminals.
Is your engine running when this happens? How old is your battery. I'm thinking that if your voltage is drooping below the 10.6 volts, then our LVCO circuit is doing it's job and cutting the power off to our system.
As far as I can tell by your description, it sounds like the battery is not producing enough voltage to handle all the accessories.

Let me know what the outcome is.
Or call me any time.
661-755-8139
Thanks sPOD-guy!! I did a little more troubleshooting this morning. Before cranking the jeep, all switches worked. After about 2 minutes of engine load, they cut off. After shutting engine down 20 minutes later, switches did not immediately work. This could definitely point to battery isssues but I would expect a dummy light at 10.6. Maybe Jeep has it set lower. Wish this thing had a gauge. I'll put a meter on it tonight and see if that tells me anything.

The battery isn't OEM but I have no idea how old it is. Its a duralast I think...needs to be replaced most likely, for good measure.

Thanks for the help!

post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM
JKowners Vendor

Any time!

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode