Weird dually D2 thing going on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607
Weird dually D2 thing going on

I got these from Jason at rebel and installed them in the lod fog mounts with the bdf mounts and wired them into the oem fog light plug.(I got a male plug off of eBay)

Anyway my wife starts driving me nuts saying that the little lights on the side keep blinking, keep in mind I'm pouring sweat trying to grease the front end and pull the front rotors to have them turned, it was freaking hot today. Well finally after many your driving me fng nuts comments she finally points to the d2's not the little blinkers, so I still think she's nuts and never see it, finally they started like a SOS blink but it was REAL faint. I know it's not the lights and it's the oem wiring and canbus crap but why in the hell is it doing all of this with all of the lights off, key out and doors locked?

It's sort of possessed, any ideas? There are no pinched wires anywhere.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The fog lights are powered with pulse width voltage. Most people just use the fog light wires to trigger a relay which in then feeds power from the battery to the auxillary lights. Sucks, but that is what is happening. The current at the fog light plug is being pulsed. If you had a fast enough meter or scope you'd see waveform on that circuit. I'd wire to the battery and use a relay in conjunction to the factory fog circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

That's fine and I can understand the pulse width but I can't understand why any electrical pulse or flow is happening with everything off.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Slow and Low

It has something to do with LED's and the system self checking itself because it's looking for more resistance or something.
My Genright turn signals and markers do the same shit after I shut the thing off, but only for about as long as the accessories stay on (when you have the doors off). It's never killed my battery or anything. It's never caused any problems.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Garage

Same here.. did Dually's on Smurfette and they "strobe" or "pulse" for a couple of minutes or so.

I could wire in a relay, and get power from the battery but I would sooner just wire them to the sPOD but Jenna wants them to work from the factory stalk switch. We will live with the pulse.. doesn't seem to hurt anything.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #6 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Granite Guru

I heard that the dealership will turn off the pulse in the bus if requested. HAven't checked myself but I got the info from a reputable source who had it done.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Wheeler

I had the exact same issue. Someone else here on the forum recommended using HID flicker cancelers. I picked up a pair of HID "error decoders" off of eBay, and it solved the problem. (this one: item # 330763124700)
For some reason, it seems to be more prevalent with the spot beam pattern.
Hope this helps.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Slow and Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by just eric View Post
I heard that the dealership will turn off the pulse in the bus if requested. HAven't checked myself but I got the info from a reputable source who had it done.
Gonna have to call BS on this one, unless you can prove it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I can't but I know someone who supposedly can. He said he had it done when after having the JW Speaker headlights installed. We'll see if he chimes in...
post #10 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 04:02 AM
Granite Guru

Mine do it too. No biggie. Oddly only the left does it. Do both of yours or just one side? I wired direct to factory canbus system too. I just figure Heep had a capacitor in the system some place that was bleeding down.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
+1
Maybe talking about the low voltage DRL feature which can be programmed but highly doubt that the "normal" bulb saver PWM can be programmed out of the TIPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earfixr View Post
I wired direct to factory canbus system too
Hmmm if you wired directly to the factory canbus system then your Heep wouldn't be running anymore and would have fried every control module that is connected via the CAN bus Data Network system

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #12 of 14 Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

I had a set of amber duallys that did this. Replaced them with a set of D2s that don't. Nothing changed in the wiring. I feel like something is different in the circuitry of the lights themselves.

- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #13 of 14 Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine do the same thing. No biggie. Had a guy ask me what it was. I told him it was the alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
TrailDuty.com

LEDs are very quick to turn on and have pretty much zero warm up time, unlike halogen bulbs. The same pulse thing is happening with halogens, but you don't see it as the pulse is gone before they react. My LED turn signals flash when you open the doors, same thing happens with the factory turn signals, but because the halogen bulb is so slow to come on you never see it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode