Power inverter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Power inverter

Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions/advice?

I'm looking for something that I can use in the XK on our AZ trip next month and something that I could hardwire to my JK when we get back.

It'd be used for a rice cooker (300w) and other small stuff, but nothing huge. The ARB fridge is designed to run off 12v so that's not a worry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 AM

I'm interested in this as well.

I was hoping to find someone who had installed the Mopar power inverter (the one that puts an outlet on the center console.
post #3 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Wheeler

a 1000Watt power inverter from TrippLite is a decent model. I have it installed on my jeep and it's been about 4 years now and running great. Sometimes I wished I had gotten a lorger one to use with a drill. But I use it with my cooler, GPS, phone, Ipad, Kids DS, and portable DVD player and a few other items. It has four outlets and I made a short extension cord with a 3 way. Some of the power adapters cover some of the outlets on the unit so the three-way comes in handy. You just need some thick power cables - Audio store. I mounted my tripplite under my drivers seat.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Rock God

I installed a 3000 watt in my JK and has 4 outlets spread throughout the jeep. One of which is located outside the vehicle opposite where you fill up the gas tank. 2 outlets in the back seat area and one up front.

I'm sure I'll think of something
post #5 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Wheeler

Pictures?
post #6 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iking19 View Post
Pictures?
DEFINITELY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #7 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iking19 View Post
Pictures?
I'll try but no promises. I just don't know how to do it. If you want to give up a cell phone number I can text them. Thats easy.

post #8 of 41 Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Granite Guru

email me the pictures and I can post them for you if that is easier.

PM if that works
post #9 of 41 Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Wheeler

Inverter

I use a 100 watt inverter with a squid power strip to power a laptop and to charge a jumper battery. When we are camping I run a microwave over powered by a 2000 watt inverter which is hooked to the battery for cooking. Nice setup and works very well
post #10 of 41 Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

I installed a 1000w under the passenger seat. Two outlets. Hooked directly to battery. Had to buy some 10ft cables but thats about the worst of the install. Ive used it to run a fridge, compressor, waffle maker, and disco ball. Not all at once.

2012 Rubicon Unlimited

Its almost done!!!!!!!!!!!
-Dan Jones
post #11 of 41 Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

you know that is a good idea never thought of that. i installed solar and a dc to ac inverter on my toy hauler but now gonna need to do the inverter on jeep. Never thought of those uses for it like to run a drill or whatever.

just the simple bare necessities to get from point A to point B and back again
08 4dr rubicon,poly performance,rockhard,superwinch,37's wild peaks,plus a really nice stereo.
post #12 of 41 Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca starman View Post
you know that is a good idea never thought of that. i installed solar and a dc to ac inverter on my toy hauler but now gonna need to do the inverter on jeep. Never thought of those uses for it like to run a drill or whatever.
The one thing to be careful of, is if you offroad with the doors off and deep water.... and it's located under the drivers or passengers seat...good things will NOT happen.
post #13 of 41 Old 08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah,that wouldn't be pretty.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

EX-JC
post #14 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

Here are the pictures from O2Bdrty...Ill let him elaborate more if anyone has questions (i just assisted in posting the pictures).

post #15 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Granite Guru

Forgot to add...looks like a really clean install thanks for the pictures! Assuming you have a tuffy security deck next to the inverter right?
post #16 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbeachrat View Post
Forgot to add...looks like a really clean install thanks for the pictures! Assuming you have a tuffy security deck next to the inverter right?
Yes sir. We flattened out the shelf and bolted it down. On the other side is my air tank for on board air

post #17 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Wheeler

That is a nice clean install O2BDrty.
post #18 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

OK, so if I was going to install an inverter, what kind of minimum wattage do you need for something like a drill, or a grinder? I'm kind of an electrical retard, so sorry if thats a dumb question.
post #19 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
That is a nice clean install O2BDrty.
I had some help. Theres no way I could do anything that nice!!!!!! Thanks though.

post #20 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
OK, so if I was going to install an inverter, what kind of minimum wattage do you need for something like a drill, or a grinder? I'm kind of an electrical retard, so sorry if thats a dumb question.
I'm not the person to ask. I'm sure someone will chime in.

post #21 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookylynx View Post
Power = Volts x Amps.

Example - Drill consumes 7.2 amps at 115 volts. Multiply 7.2 by 115 and you get 874 which is your power or watts. Keep in mind that is nominal power, not inrush, so calculate at least 20% more capacity so with the example I gave i'd look for something 1100 watts to run that one device at the minimum. Probably a 1500 watt unit in reality. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #22 of 41 Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Inverter output is rated in watts. Some appliances are rated in watts and others in amps. To convert from amps to watts multiply by 120 (voltage). Add up the watts for all the devices you'd want to run at the same time and get an inverter rated to handle that load. I suggest choosing a model that's 30-50% higher than you need for a safety margin.

Now things with a motor in them are a potential problem. Is the amp rating the maximum start-up draw or nominal running draw? I don't know, I've never tried to run something with a motor off an inverter. The rating air conditioners I know is the nominal running power, start-up draw to get the fan and compressor motor in an AC is 2.5X to 3X the normal power draw. My guess is that for tools the max amp draw is what is stated on the tool. Also, if the device has a built-in fuse or breaker that would be a reliable indication of the maximum draw.

Be careful to mount the inverter someplace protected from water. I'd be concerned about mounting one under the seat. Off-roading through deep water or just a leaky top can result in a lot of water collecting under seats, which tend to be the low point in the tub. Also make sure to use the proper gauge wiring for the load and distance to the battery, and put a fuse or breaker in-line in the wire as close to the battery as possible.

When choosing an inverter try to get one that puts out a sine-wave (best) or modified sine-wave (not as good) waveform, has low-voltage cut-off (to save your battery from being run down too low) and GFCI protection (to prevent electrocution). These tend to be more expensive, but it's worthwhile to protect your life and your rig.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 08-11-2012 at 09:02 PM.
post #23 of 41 Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Wheeler

Hey O2Bdrty... What size cable are you running to yuor 3000 Watt inverter all the way in the rear of your jeep... DO you have a 2 or 4 dr? I got a 3000w last year for xmas, still havent installed it yet though.
post #24 of 41 Old 08-12-2012, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by YETI-09 View Post
Hey O2Bdrty... What size cable are you running to yuor 3000 Watt inverter all the way in the rear of your jeep... DO you have a 2 or 4 dr? I got a 3000w last year for xmas, still havent installed it yet though.
They are regular battery cables that are being used. Its a 4 door.

post #25 of 41 Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Damn, you'd think Bump and I actually knew something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode