Looking to add more front seats dome light in 4dr - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Looking to add more front seats dome light in 4dr

My 08 4dr JK doesn't have enough dome light for my liking. I've thought about finding a rear view mirror with map lights on the bottom to add some additional light up in front of me. With the dome light overhead and slightly behind the 2 front seats, the front seat lighting is lacking. Anyone else already BTDT as far as adding better lighting for the front 2 seats? Let's see and hear what you did.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Bestop overhead console that has a built in dome light, two pockets, a place to attach a garage door opener, and an extra power plug. The best part is the light.

Clayton 4.5" suspension, 37" KM2 tires, Mojave wheels, Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts
Clayton/AEV high steering kit, Teraflex SS, Poly inner axle sleeve/C-gussets/lower control arm skids, River Raider Breather Hose Extension Kit
post #3 of 28 Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks. I just looked on Bestop site and didn't see anything. Do you know if it's discontinued or from another vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

You can run LED strips up in the footwells. You won't see the LED's just the light that they put out. Also you can run LED strips on the center console just below the lip. I think I have 3 on the center console.

something like this in the footwells and under the rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Granite Guru

I couldn't find it on their website either. I found it here:

http://m.oconeeoffroad.com/site/mobi...nsole%2FDetail

I really like it. Easy to install, although I left the wiring to someone else... Just two wires need to go through firewall to battery if I recall.

Clayton 4.5" suspension, 37" KM2 tires, Mojave wheels, Tom Woods front and rear drive shafts
Clayton/AEV high steering kit, Teraflex SS, Poly inner axle sleeve/C-gussets/lower control arm skids, River Raider Breather Hose Extension Kit
post #6 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunWagon View Post
I couldn't find it on their website either. I found it here:

http://m.oconeeoffroad.com/site/mobi...nsole%2FDetail

I really like it. Easy to install, although I left the wiring to someone else... Just two wires need to go through firewall to battery if I recall.
Sorry to burst your bubble but it says discountinued.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 28 Old 07-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Rock God

Garage

I added some led strips from local auto parts store.

You smell that?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That overhead console looks like it would fit the bill perfect....too bad it's discontinued. I'd bet the price is what led to it's demise....not enough sales. Oh well....the search goes on for additional lighting for the front seating area.

Is there power available in the front windshield area or has everyone that added lights and put pics up here just ran a hot line down to the battery or other power supply?
post #9 of 28 Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i did the same thing as USMGC up there. gives off abunch of light. i also took 2 headlamps from walmart, took the strap off, and double sided taped them to the soundbar.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #10 of 28 Old 07-29-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

All of these options look good....but I'm mainly looking for some sort of lighting that I can place overhead. I need it overhead so it will help with seeing/reading at night.
post #11 of 28 Old 07-29-2012, 12:43 PM

I will post a pic tonight of my center console lights. What do you want to read that you need lights? Shouldn't you be concentrating on the road more?

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 28 Old 07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Wheeler

I'm working on the same problem in my '08 right now. Not enough light in the front or the back at night. I've looked in Auto Parts stores, marine stores, Cabelas, Academy, Quadtratec, etc. etc. for some sort of easy-to-add light(s) that are bright enough.

For me, I won't be using these that often, but when you need 'em, you need 'em. Even something that's battery operated would probably work, but most of those don't put out enough light to do any good.

However, at Cabela's, I ran across a Coleman brand LED tent light, that runs on AAA batteries and puts out 60 lumens. In the Jeep at night, it's plenty bright enough. And for the JKU, one of these can be velcroed to the front of the factory sound bar to light up the front (and read those maps), and to the back panel of the hardtop in the rear, for more luggage area lighting.

Don't yet know how long the batteries will last in these (going to use Lithiums), but I'm going to start with these. If they don't work, I'll try some LED lights that are wired to vehicle power.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Rock God

I just want interior light to find stuff. at night when your broken down or helping a buddy with a problem and you want to find tools it is nice to be able to see under the seats or in front for stuff.

I also want rock lights but there is no way it should cost $200 for a light setup. still researching that one.

so I went to a tool and parts shop that we have up here in Canada called princess auto. most everyone would like this store. found some small in interior lights. going to hood them up to the dome light circuit. trying just 2 for now. Will get more as i need. probably four more for under the seats. these are $3.00 each. will post up results if anyone is requesting to see what I am doing.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Update on this thread....I added a few footwell lights to the two front seats and that has improved the interior light. I got footwell light sockets from a late 90's Chevy truck at PYP that take a 194 blade type bulb. Hung them from the bottom of the dash and wired them to the dome light circuit, white/yellow wire on pass. kick panel. I was surprised how much they helped with the dimly lit interior of the JK. I still have a mirror to wire in.

I got a factory rearview mirror with Autodim & LED map lights from an 01 Chrysler Sebring convertible at PYP also. I have not wired it in yet as I'd like to find constant 12v to tap into so I can have the map lights on without using the dome light circuit that the footwell lights are tapped into. Anyone know where I can find constant 12v as close to the upper windshield as possible?

I went thru a few different rearview mirrors w/ maplights. The lenses on most of them cast the light in the wrong place since the JK dash sticks out flat on top so far. Any of them would work and help but finding one with the right angle on the maplights has been a challenge. I think this LED one is as good as it's going to get. That is unless I happen upon a junked '13 JK to grab a mirror out of. Dealer wants almost $300 for a '13 JK lit mirror....no thanks!
post #15 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Update on this thread....I added a few footwell lights to the two front seats and that has improved the interior light. Hung them from the bottom of the dash and wired them to the dome light circuit, white/yellow wire on pass. kick panel. I was surprised how much they helped with the dimly lit interior of the JK. I still have a mirror to wire in.

I got a factory rearview mirror with Autodim & LED map lights from an 01 Chrysler Sebring convertible at PYP also. Anyone know where I can find constant 12v as close to the upper windshield as possible?I went thru a few different rearview mirrors w/ maplights. The lenses on most of them cast the light in the wrong place since the JK dash sticks out flat on top so far.
nice. I havent done this but I read it is a yellow/white meaning a yellow with white stripe. which is it?

Love the mirror upgrade. I will be looking for that myself now. will the autodim work? I am guessing yes.

as far as power I will keep an eye out for power that you would want on the ignition circuit. there is the cirgarette lighter power supplies, the fuse box under the dash may have some circuits available.
but there is a more ideal circuit that the rear interior light is on. when you push it the light switches on. I would try and have those map lights setup to come on with the doors and when the map light is pressed. you could use the same circuits that the rear interior lights use. that would be the best ones. you know one of the circuits, just need to open up that rear interior light to find the color of the other circuit.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #16 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yellow wire w/white stripe in passenger kick panel
post #17 of 28 Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

I added four light bars from oznium.com and they are ridiculously bright. I have one on the front and rear of the sound bar and front and rear if the rear bar.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352433286.525962.jpg
Views: 1438
Size:  45.4 KB
post #18 of 28 Old 11-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Rock God

your sisters are cute. what are their phone #'s? LOL

oh and yeah what was the part # you used for the lights?

Last edited by JeepUpKeep37s; 11-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.
post #19 of 28 Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

I used the piranha LED tubes, but they don't sell them anymore. I have about 10 of them sitting here in warm white (PM me as I can let a few go). The new 360 tubes look pretty slick and are the size of a pencil. These would be nice because you could just have one underneath rather than one on each side like I do. http://www.oznium.com/linear-lights
post #20 of 28 Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Granite Guru

This, direct fit, great light light output.
http://northridge4x4.com/lighting/li...interior-bulbs
post #21 of 28 Old 12-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
This, direct fit, great light light output.
http://northridge4x4.com/lighting/li...interior-bulbs
been looking at these.

any pics of installed?

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #22 of 28 Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used 10 dollar LED from the truck stop. Each one has 3 lights!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #23 of 28 Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 PM

look to rigid industries.com has a kit it is the A-series you can download the master catalog to you'r jeep file
post #24 of 28 Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoastfocus View Post
I added four light bars from oznium.com and they are ridiculously bright. I have one on the front and rear of the sound bar and front and rear if the rear bar.
Attachment 58594
how did you tap into the dome lights
post #25 of 28 Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Got some interior lighting for Christmas!

and installed:

These things are pretty bright!! I ran both sets of wiring to where the little floorboard light is on the driver side. The black wire with white strip I spliced into the yellow with white strip wire and the black wire into black on the factory wiring.

They are made by Custom Accessories as 10" LEDs...got them at walmart.

U.S. Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode