Any Audiophiles here? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Any Audiophiles here?

I recently bought a Porsche that had a high end sound system.

Kicker 5 channel amp

4 Boston Acoustic mid-range/tweeter
2 10" subs

The music is starting to cut out at higher volume. I checked the voltage at the amp when it's off and the car running ..... it's 13.47V. When the amp/head unit is on, it drops to 12.2V.

I haven't checked the ohms yet but that's my next move.

It had an Eclipse head unit and it did it. I ordered a new Kenwood head unit (KDC-BT952HD) which is fucking awesome, but it's still doing it. I'm pretty sure it's either a voltage or issue with one of the subs.

I've been out of the audio scene for 20+ years and only have basic skills. What are you thoughts from you audio geeks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Granite Guru

I would look at the main power wire. The Amp and Radio should be sourced from the large constant power.

I don't know the power of the amp... but here is a simple chart for power cable. For grounds, I try to keep the same or larger guage wire.

If your dropping voltage after the proper power AND GROUND. Next up would be the battery then Alternator. Make sure it's got enough amperage to carry to load of the car AND radio. Hope this help.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks!

I'll check the gauge but it's thick and the power and ground and less than 10".

Not sure how old the battery is. Also have to check to see if there is a higher output alternator available.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Thanks!

I'll check the gauge but it's thick and the power and ground and less than 10".

Not sure how old the battery is. Also have to check to see if there is a higher output alternator available.
Also there may be a voltage regulator for the alternator as a replacement part. That wold save some serious coin. Sometimes this is also an external unit. Just wanted to toss that out there also. Good luck....
post #5 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

The amp is a Kicker ZX700.5

http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/...0c01%20web.pdf

, Granite,
post #6 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Some people claim 940W+ out of that amp. (nice unit BTW) What head-unit are you running? Need to add the Watt total to the amp. A quick guess puts you at 4ga wire.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Amp could be going into protection mode? Is it getting hot?
Just my first 2 thoughts.

Make sure on that amp that the high level/ low level input switch is on right setting.
If you are not getting enough voltage the light on the amp will let you know as per manual. Yellow led on end panel.

You smell that?

Last edited by Rottenbelly; 07-06-2012 at 06:29 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I did some troubleshooting of the system this morning and found the problem.

I started disconnecting sets of speakers. First the subs, then the rear, and with only the front speakers and that Gain turned way down, it was still cutting out.

That led me to believe it was a voltage issue. Battery, alternator, or bad wire(s). BTW, it has 1/0ga wire for power and ground. Each wire is about a foot long.

I made sure the ground sold and it was. Ground to a stud in the trunk where Porsche has a major ground.

I was going to swap batteries with my truck but the cover to the inline fuse on the 1/0ga positive wire was off. I pulled the fuse out and when I did, it fell apart. I installed a new 30A fuse and tried the radio and it was blasting fine without cutting out. I hooked up the rest of the speakers and set the gains, and it's rocking. Simple problem and now it's solved.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

BTW, I installed this head unit in it yesterday and love it.

It has two sets of Boston Acoustic component speakers (front doors and rear side panels).

, Granite,

Last edited by BigMike; 07-07-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode