How wet can the Jk get? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question How wet can the Jk get?

with a 2010 sport jk. if i leave the doors and top off and it rains in NJ, (besides the carpet and seats have marathon waterproof seats) how WET can the Jeep get without messing up the stock radio and other stuff i may need to worry about?

I wonder because the weather man sucks at his job like usual and getting lazy on taking stuff off and on last minute with all the other stuff i have going on.

Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
Jim- 2010 Natural Green Pearl, 6spd, hardtop/soft top, RK 2.5" max travel lift kit,

"No Hesitation"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I have been caught in several downpours with the top off (it's Oahu) and no issues. Just dont try to U-Boat it and you should be fine....now the carpet on the other hand....once it gets soaked, it will forever smell like wet dog! LOL

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok just making sure.. i need to find time to herculine the tub. I was just curious thanks

Jersey
Crew
Jim- 2010 Natural Green Pearl, 6spd, hardtop/soft top, RK 2.5" max travel lift kit,

"No Hesitation"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Well last Friday for about 45 miles the rain wasn't falling it was pouring sideways, no top and no doors, spider web shade that offers no help, dash stayed soaked along with the my gig and no issues, I washed it all out with the water hose as well when I got home, pulled it into the garage and sat a fan in the back on a towel over night. No issues.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #5 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Rock God

My aftermarket head unit is died after one rain storm. Screen works but no buttons. And CB is mounted above rear view mirror and it's done too

Sent from my iBrick
post #6 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have been caught in afternoon thunderbangers several times and clean inside and out with a power washer... as in standing on top of the cage and spraying downwards. I don't soak the dash and don't submerge it.

No issues at all.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Wheeler

About the same here, I run no doors and no top usually and the inside has been in some pretty good Florida thunderstorms without an issue. The radio and all the controls are all working fine (I don't have the NAV screen radio). Only issues were not pulling out the drain plug in the jack storage compartment and trying to get all the damn water outta the cup holders!
post #8 of 21 Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Rock God

Drill a couple drain holes in the bottom of the cup holders. Problem solved!

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #10 of 21 Old 07-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Wheeler

I think that will be tomorrow's project. Thanks!
post #11 of 21 Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
As in, drill all the way through? That works?

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Rock God

I guess depending on which options/console you have it could make a difference. I think if you have power windows there are electrical connections under the cup holders. I haven't personally done it but others on here have.

If you want to get fancy you could drill a hole in the bottom of the cup holder and connect a piece of tubing that feeds down to one of the factory drain plugs. Might be over kill though.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #13 of 21 Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Rock God

These pics are from a storm we got on Friday. It was 35 mins long, sideways rain. My hard top was ON and I had an inch of water in the cup holders. I'm gonna do the holes in the bottom of the cup holders. I hope I never get a full rain with top of but if I do, oh well. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786613.272148.jpg
Views: 6689
Size:  60.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786632.337460.jpg
Views: 6386
Size:  52.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341786675.507530.jpg
Views: 6530
Size:  48.2 KB
Attached Images

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
post #14 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Rock God

I've had my Jeep in the rain many times. So far the only problem I've had is the horn shorting out (that's a fun 4 am project- trying to find the right fuse to pull before the blaring horn wakes the neighbors).

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
post #15 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JCKnauer22

knock on wood, i haven't had any issues. i've driven in many storms over the last 4 years and it's been left outside topless and doorless through many more. only issue i ever had was last week. it had rained fairly heavily overnight and when i was driving to work the next morning (on a beach towel, of course) the radio kept switching back and forth between the inputs. kept switching to AUX then back to AM/FM. annoying because i was listening to a CD at the time lol. it sat in a sunny parking lot for 8 hours while i worked and when i drove home it was fine again

I met a wild-eyed spinster on the back of a bus
She asked if there was any part of her I'd like to touch
When I told her "Yer nuts!" she got mad at me
And lectured on female anatomy...
post #16 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Granite Guru

I left mine doorless and topless in a storm last year that dumped about 3" of rain in a hour. It was the most rain the Airport here had ever received all at once. As far as the Jeep went everything factory was perfect. But my aftermarket stereo and amps were done for. After that I upgraded everything to marine grade audio equipment and have never had an issue since.

You can live in your Jeep, but you can't off-road your house.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You may be fine, I wouldn't make a habit of it though. There's nothing special or Marine grade about the Jeep's electronics.

Hypothetical question, same answer:
"with a 2010 Charger Convertible. if i leave the top down and it rains in NJ, how WET can the car get without messing up the stock radio and other stuff i may need to worry about?"

Extreme example WK.... Skip right to 12:30

2006 Grand Cherokee Quadra-Drive II HEMI SWAMPED testing snorkles after it floats - YouTube

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't have carpet anymore and clean my interior with a pressure washer once a year at the end of the season. Seems to be fine so far, I just don't aim it at the dash.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #19 of 21 Old 09-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Granite Guru

How did you end up fixing this? Mine is having similar issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I've had my Jeep in the rain many times. So far the only problem I've had is the horn shorting out (that's a fun 4 am project- trying to find the right fuse to pull before the blaring horn wakes the neighbors).

post #20 of 21 Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKOS View Post
How did you end up fixing this? Mine is having similar issues.
It ended up being the clockspring. That's a bundle of wires in the steering wheel and a steering wheel angle sensor. PITA to replace and should almost be considered a Jeep consumable. On my '13 I had it replaced twice in four years.

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
post #21 of 21 Old 11-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Well, I had full hydro when the problem started, so the clock spring was broke due to the nature of the orbital valve. I figured the broken ribbon must be shorting out so I removed it and still had the problem. Later I disconnected all the plugs to the clockspring and still had the issue. I then replaced the PCM and still had the issue. I read somewhere that a guys winch solenoid was shorting and drawing power and the horn beeping and lights flashing was the systems way of telling you there’s a short somewhere. I think my issue must be a short as well.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode