Dash Light Fiasco - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac
Dash Light Fiasco

so, the other day we were in the heep, went around a turn a lil too fast and the ESP system kicked in. it stopped as i eased off the gas and drove fine the rest of the way to the Target. When we came out and started driving away the esp/bas, abs and brake light came on after driving about a mile.

since then the lights seems to come on randomly and when they are on, i can force the system to "kick on" and it seems to work fine.

i just left my local (my cousins) shop where we put the jeep on the code scanner, even went for a drive with it hooked up and we arent getting any codes at all.

so, my original instinct was a wheel speed sensor, as i had the same lights on when the right front sensor was bad, but that threw a code right away and the speedo didnt work. this time, everything seems to work but the lights are lit. and YES we had the code reader hooked up while the lights were on...

anybody have any insight as to what this could be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramaniac View Post
so, the other day we were in the heep, went around a turn a lil too fast and the ESP system kicked in. it stopped as i eased off the gas and drove fine the rest of the way to the Target. When we came out and started driving away the esp/bas, abs and brake light came on after driving about a mile.

since then the lights seems to come on randomly and when they are on, i can force the system to "kick on" and it seems to work fine.

i just left my local (my cousins) shop where we put the jeep on the code scanner, even went for a drive with it hooked up and we arent getting any codes at all.

so, my original instinct was a wheel speed sensor, as i had the same lights on
when the right front sensor was bad, but that threw a code right away and the speedo didnt work. this time, everything seems to work but the lights are lit. and YES we had the code reader hooked up while the lights were on...

anybody have any insight as to what this could be?

Hey Nick did you try pulling the battery cables? The same lights have been on for us for a year now. Gives that Christmas look to the dash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #3 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Hey Nick did you try pulling the battery cables? The same lights have been on for us for a year now. Gives that Christmas look to the dash.
hey Dave,

yeah, i forgot to add that i had the battery D/C'd for about an hour on friday.

its really weird that there are times we are driving and they never come on...

on another note, i just received the papers from PennDot about turning in my drivers license.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM
JKO Addict!

You'll get them back hang in there.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Brake Fluid Level??

aka- Brian

08' JKU on 38's... parted out and SOLD
13' JKU Rubi... On HOLD, 04' LJ to suppliment
Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions
post #6 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otnoc311 View Post
Brake Fluid Level??
Hmmm.... hadn't thought of that one... ill check that in the morning.

anyone else have any ideas?

i had a thought that maybe one of the tone rings is cracked and thats whats causing the intermittent situation

post #7 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

My grandpop's F-150 shows an ABS and Brake Light when the fluid goes low.

aka- Brian

post #8 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

my curiosity and insomnia got the best of me and i walked out the check the brake fluid level. its just above the minimum level... first stop in the morning is pep boys for a bottle of Dot 3...

i also check the oil and noticed it was about a qt low as well.... that could explain the ticking sound on start up!

thanks for the advice Brian! hopefully this is it! will post back after i top the res off

post #9 of 17 Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

No problem brother, take care of yourself.

aka- Brian

post #10 of 17 Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok...

i checked the brake fluid last night and it was indeed low. i just returned from a trip to pep boys... the ride there was uneventful. no dash lights lit. i topped the fluid off in the parking lot and as soon as i turned out of the driveway it was like xmas on my dash... the only difference between the ride there and the ride home was a left turn.

im guessing that maybe there is a bad wheel sensor or a connection problem that loosens the wire on one side or the other causing a fault?

im open to any more suggestion....

Bueller... Bueller? anyone?

im having enough trouble selling the jeep as it is, i cant imagine a prospective buyer being turned on by a dashboard full of trouble lights...

post #11 of 17 Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im bumping this hoping someone else will read this and chime in...

i also have an idea, see what the masses think... the lights dont come on until i hit 20mph. im still not getting a trouble code. no matter what i do to try to get one. my idea is that there is something interfering with a wheel speed sensor ability to correctly gauge the wheel speed. maybe a cracked tone ring, grease or brake dust or just plain dirt in the way. the obvious problem is which wheel is the problem.

c'mon guys... someone has to have some sort of idea????

post #12 of 17 Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just went over the whole thing again... no bad fuses, relays all seem to be working and yet the lights stay on. i wont be able to pull the wheels until at least tomorrow.

i do want to add that the cruise control is working, so from what ive read that eliminates the steering wheel and clock spring. its possible that the steering wheel needs to be recentered??

post #13 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Hmmm.... hadn't thought of that one... ill check that in the morning.

anyone else have any ideas?

i had a thought that maybe one of the tone rings is cracked and thats whats causing the intermittent situation
Could also be the Dynamics sensor... its under the console and gives gforce/yaw/// i have seen those go bad for no apparant reason, personally, i would have the codes read to be sure
post #14 of 17 Old 07-09-2012, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Could also be the Dynamics sensor... its under the console and gives gforce/yaw/// i have seen those go bad for no apparant reason, personally, i would have the codes read to be sure
Never thought about that sensor, will look into it.

As for the codes, I've had it on a code scanner multiple times, once while driving and it has no codes stored at all

post #15 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

for anyone interested...

the xmas tree decorations that were lighting up my dash board are all now gone. just as mysteriously as they appeared and lingered, they turned off.

the only variable that occured in the whole time is that it rained the day turned off. thinking it was a dirty sensor i got a can of brake clean and sprayed all 4 wheels down then followed it up with a thorough blast from a power washer. 150 miles since they went off and they are still off...

post #16 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
for anyone interested...

the xmas tree decorations that were lighting up my dash board are all now gone. just as mysteriously as they appeared and lingered, they turned off.

the only variable that occured in the whole time is that it rained the day turned off. thinking it was a dirty sensor i got a can of brake clean and sprayed all 4 wheels down then followed it up with a thorough blast from a power washer. 150 miles since they went off and they are still off...
Sounds like the time I went over to Wharton and had a wicked vibration at about 70mph. Wheeled all weekend and on the way home, the steering was quiet as a mouse.

post #17 of 17 Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I figured it was just an accumulation of dirt and debris in one of the wheels, probably left over from a Wharton trip

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode