Another Random Electrical Gremlin Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Another Random Electrical Gremlin Question

Hey everyone, so I have a 2009 JKU that is having some random electrical weirdness. I bought it November of last year and it is certified used and It's still stock with no aftermarket upgrades…yet. Here's what's going on:

Problem 1:
Several times during the week if I lock the door with the remote I get the horn but the doors won't lock. Sometimes it will lock after a 2nd or 3rd push of the button. If it doesn't, then I'll use the button on the door but even then it will take a few tries before it actually locks.

Problem 2:
Also a random occurrence, several times during the week the driver side window won't roll down when the button is pressed, sometimes it just takes a few tries sometimes it takes a few minutes of messing with it to actually get it to work. Only happens on the driver side window though, I haven't had any problems at all with the other 3.

Problem 3:
Another random occurrence, If I drive with the main headlights and fog lamps on and turn the lights off when I get to my destination. Sometimes the main headlights don't turn off. I have to turn the switch back to on and then back off again. I have noticed that this only happens if I have all 4 lights on (main + fogs)

Problem 4:
The red security light, I think it's the security light. A red dot over on the right side of the cluster. Will blink while I'm driving.
I haven't noticed this lately but I haven't really been paying much attention either, actually I kind of forgot about this problem until I started typing this out. But I have seen it happen randomly on several occasions. But the last occurrences were several months ago.

I took it to the dealership a couple of weekends ago. They couldn't replicate any of the problems (of course). They noticed some software was out of date, so they upgraded everything. However all the random problems are still there. They said if the problem is still there to bring it back, which I plan to but I figured I would ping the group here to see if anyone else had similar problems or offer any wisdom I can take to the dealership. Thanks guys!

Roads? Where we're going we don't need... roads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Granite Guru

Problem #3:
The lights have a delay and will turn themselves off after a few minutes. The rest of these things can be chalked up to gremlins.
Its a Jeep thing...

Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and vulnerable, if you want to toughen up, grow a vagina. These things can take a pounding!
post #3 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Granite Guru

Does it have the Rubicon sway bar setup? If so, you may have mud in the connector. Chrysler, in yet another stroke of genius, put an unsealable electrical connector down low where it will collect mud and short out the CANBUS node. Once, mine got so bad that my radio quit working. After I cleaned it and slopped some dielectric grease on it, everything worked fine.

Your problem sounds bus related to me. Those are a real PITA to track down. Or, it could be your TIPM going bad. With luck, it is just water in a connector somewhere. If you are real lucky, it didn't destroy the connector yet.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for your replies.

Alter Ego, No sway bar set up, it's an Unlimited X. I think I did read through your post regarding that or a similar one. Would Jeep have installed the wiring for a sway bar in a non-rubi vehicle?

Ms. Wheeler if there is a delay when the lights turn off wouldn't it happen all the time then? I think next time that happens I'll hangout and see if it shuts off by itself.

The comment about water in a connector has me thinking, could be just a coincidence. I moved to Seattle a month after I purchased the vehicle. I didn't have any of these problems in Texas.

post #5 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklaver View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Alter Ego, No sway bar set up, it's an Unlimited X. I think I did read through your post regarding that or a similar one. Would Jeep have installed the wiring for a sway bar in a non-rubi vehicle?

Ms. Wheeler if there is a delay when the lights turn off wouldn't it happen all the time then? I think next time that happens I'll hangout and see if it shuts off by itself.

The comment about water in a connector has me thinking, could be just a coincidence. I moved to Seattle a month after I purchased the vehicle. I didn't have any of these problems in Texas.
Mine doesn't always play the waiting game either and I didn't know it had a delay on it till I was at a gas station and a nice old man told me I left my lights on. When I turned around and started back to the jeep to shut them off they went out by themselves.

Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and vulnerable, if you want to toughen up, grow a vagina. These things can take a pounding!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Rock God

Something to consider:

The headlights will go out and stay out if they are turned off before the engine is turned off.

The headlights will remain on for a period if they are turned off after the engine is turned off, or until they are briefly turned back on, then off.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Something to consider:

The headlights will go out and stay out if they are turned off before the engine is turned off.

The headlights will remain on for a period if they are turned off after the engine is turned off, or until they are briefly turned back on, then off.
True.
I haven't used the delay much at all so I didnt take that into consideration.

Last edited by Ms.Wheeler; 07-02-2012 at 07:06 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
Something to consider:

Ha!, sho-nuff, thank you.

One down, 3 to go!

post #9 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Granite Guru

Good luck on the rest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode