A short in my steering column? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

A short in my steering column?

I few weeks ago i noticed that when i tried to use the momentary (3 blinks) right signal, sometimes it wouldn't work the first time.

Well, a few days ago i tried to use the signal and...the wipers wiped once! After checking that my hands weren't near the wiper switch and that my sanity was in check, i realized trouble was brewing.

Now the right signal only works if applied all the way on, if not all dash lights flash!

Anyone else ever experience similar shorts? Just asking before my trip to the dealership.

TIA

Adam
First Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(heavily modded and wheeled!)
Last Jeep:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Wrangler MT/R 35x12.5x15 on Soft 8's for the trails.
Duratrac 35" on Dick Cepek's for DD'ers.
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Rock God

Might not be a short, all kind of weird things happening if the battery is on it's way out so get the battery tested.
Also sometimes a computer reset resolves such issues (disconnect battery for 10 - 30 Minutes)

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

It could be the multifunction control switch that is in the steering wheel, it controls your wipers, lights etc.
Mine went bad in my 08 and the dealer chased after it for 7 weeks before they finally narrowed it down to the switch.
My symptoms were different than yours though. It kept waking up the guage cluster and draining the battery. While chasing the issue, they replaced the TIPM twice, guage cluster and several other items.
Good luck.

Last: RUCON - 2008 Rubicon, Silver 4Dr, Auto, RC 2.5" Lift, Superchips, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Schrockworks Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, KC SlimLites, Raptor Lined Fenders/Grill/Bumper/Hardtop
First: RECON - 2008 X, Flame Red 2Dr, 6 Spd, Trailmaster 4.5", 37 MTRs on 17" XD Addicts, Hypertech Programmer, Air Raid CAI, ORFab Front Bumper, KC SlimLites.
US Army (Retired) - Operation Enduring Freedom 2004-2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks fellas.
My battery is about a year old.
It acts like a short because if i hold the stalk for a while without pushing it past the detent, after doing nothing for a few moments, all dash lights flash once then the turn signal goes on. If I initially push the stalk right past the detent, it will activate the turn signal, albeit after a slight hesitation. Seems pretty consistent now. Guess that switch is bad.

Funny thing is, I don't even use the turn signal as much add i should! Lol

ok, in it goes! :-(

EDIT: if I hold the switch in momentary position, it turns on the windshield wipers and the parking lights and stays that way until I do something else. in other words the parking lights are not flashing like a loose wire or short, the switch is going haywire. Hopefully this is a simple swap.

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
5.13s, TF 2.5" Coil Lift, LCAs, & track bar, Mopar bumpers, WARN 9.5ti, diff covers, lots o' skids, EVAP relocated, breathers extended, ALLGIG, backup cam, Soundcoat Absorbtion Panels, and more...

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 07-02-2012 at 05:43 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08RedRecon View Post
It could be the multifunction control switch that is in the steering wheel, it controls your wipers, lights etc.
Mine went bad in my 08 and the dealer chased after it for 7 weeks before they finally narrowed it down to the switch.
My symptoms were different than yours though. It kept waking up the guage cluster and draining the battery. While chasing the issue, they replaced the TIPM twice, guage cluster and several other items.
Good luck.
winner! Multifunction switch was the culprit. Fixed under extended warranty

AdamIsAdam

Adam
First Jeep:

Last Jeep:

Sunburst Orange

Ordered 11/14/08
Shipped 11/25/08
Delivered 11/28/08

Mods:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode