Let's see if we can make sense of all this..... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Let's see if we can make sense of all this.....

Ok, I have a 2011 bone stock jk. Stock stereo, no amp. I upgraded the soundbar speakers and was dissapointed. This leads me to believe that the factory radio limits the power to the rear speakers, right?. If that is the case, then would it be possible to use a bone stock stereo out of say a 2011 nitro in place of mine(I NEED to keep the stock look). I figure, any other stock stereo will not limit the output, right?. If this will work, I will THEN use an amp to push the 4 speakers.

Does this make sense? .

Please advice.

Thanks.

Gonzzo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Or go into the back of the deck and splice the front and rear together , you will have no fade but they will sound like the front
post #3 of 7 Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah, I thought of that but some times my son wants to listen to some stuff that I don't so I fade the speakers to the rear. Some times I fade sounds to the front so he can sleep.

Thanks for your input though.

Gonzzo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Rock God

Maybe get an impedance adapter AKA: line level converter. Run your soundbar speaker wires to it and then RCA's to an amp. Then from the amp to the rear speakers. it's an old school way of adding an amp but it will allow you keep the head unit stock.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's where I get stumped!. If I use a line level converter, wouldnt i be using a degraded signal since the head unit already messed with it?. Wouldn't I just be pumping up a "de-tuned" signal?.

Thanks for your help and keep it coming!.

Gonzzo.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The only way to get the sound quality you're striving for is going to cost more than a decent head unit and sub to match your new speakers. I started out with stock RES head unit and Infinity Reference coax speakers front and rear. Sucked! Secondskin Damplifier in the front pods and bar, no more resonance, still sucked! Added sub with line level tap, better, but still had a weird mismatched sound. Finally gave up on the crappy RES head unit and went with a Clarion Media HU with Bluetooth and an internally amplified Bazooka sub. The Clarion has HP and LP filters and a PEQ so I was able to tune out odd frequencies. Sounds night and day better.

The reason the stock HU sucks so bad is because of their built in sound nanny. They build a bass contour into the volume control so that as your volume increases, your bass reduces to avoid blowing speakers and avoiding warranty repairs. Lame as that is...

You can add something like the JL Audio Cleansweep or the MTX ReQ AND external amplification, but now you're spending more money and time than it's worth it to keep stock. Just my. 02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 06-24-2012 at 10:00 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Now, JKCTAZ makes sense! . I did not know there where devises like the ones he mentioned, worth looking in to. But, a fast look at the Jo cleansweep and its price, JKCTAZ makes a good point. Need to really think hard on this. New head unit with amp, or, cleansweep with amp......

Thanks gang!.

Gonzzo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode