Can you enable wifi without the Internet plan? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-17-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Can you enable wifi without the Internet plan?

Is there any way to enable the wifi in my jeep without signing up for a monthly Internet plan? I want to hook up my apple tv so I can air play my phone on my car monitor so all I need is for my phone and apple tv to be on the same wifi network. I don't need the Internet as my phone is already connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Why do you want to complicate things with an Apple TV when you could play your phone through the AUX cable with a car charger? Either that or load all the music into the built-in HDD and play it like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's not all about the music. For example I find that inputting a destination using the voice commands is slow, unreliable, and a generally frustrating process. On the other hand, Siri gets addresses right about 90% of the time and I don't have to waste breath confirming every piece of info I say. With the new turn by turn navigation integrated into ios6 ill probably use that for navigation. Plus there's a bunch of other use-cases for air play that are not available to me through the aux jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Granite Guru

What do you mean enable wifi? Did you buy the Autonet modem without a contract? or are you speaking of the Mygig showing wifi in a setting? if so the Mygig doesn't connect to internet in any way and never will...Not fast enough. The new networking/canbus system that Chrysler is working to get in all vehicles and get away from the Mercedes system is Much faster and the Uconnect Access will have all that OnStar has/does and more...
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircody View Post
The new networking/canbus system that Chrysler is working to get in all vehicles and get away from the Mercedes system....
What Mercedes system are you talking about?????

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
Granite Guru

post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2012, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great more crap that doesn't work!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Wheeler

I would HIGHLY advise you consider bluetooth instead of AppleTV...
I personally love my AppleTV in the house, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate the lag in a car.
Switching songs on AppleTV is painfully slow.

Here is a guy that setup an AppleTV in his car with an Airport express... Maybe this will help shed some light:
Apple Airport Express / Airplay Wireless Music Streaming in Car - YouTube
post #9 of 15 Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Still don't see what that has to do with Mercedes

On the other hand also not sure what the OP exactly intends to do but my guess is that he want to stream the phone screen onto the MyGig display which should be possible with a Lockpick directly without the need for AppleTV and a Wifi network.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #10 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
What do you mean enable wifi? Did you buy the Autonet modem without a contract? or are you speaking of the Mygig showing wifi in a setting? if so the Mygig doesn't connect to internet in any way and never will...Not fast enough. The new networking/canbus system that Chrysler is working to get in all vehicles and get away from the Mercedes system is Much faster and the Uconnect Access will have all that OnStar has/does and more...
I thought we had the ability to subscribe to a mobile hotspot service from mopar. Essentially creating a wifi network to connect devices to the Internet over their cell network.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
I would HIGHLY advise you consider bluetooth instead of AppleTV...
I personally love my AppleTV in the house, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate the lag in a car.
Switching songs on AppleTV is painfully slow.

Here is a guy that setup an AppleTV in his car with an Airport express... Maybe this will help shed some light:
Apple Airport Express / Airplay Wireless Music Streaming in Car - YouTube
Yeah I will use Bluetooth for music for sure. I think I'll mostly use the Apple TV for AirPlay mirroring so I can use the iOS navigation instead of the unbelievably crappy OEM navigation. Also I'll watch the occasional video on it.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Still don't see what that has to do with Mercedes

On the other hand also not sure what the OP exactly intends to do but my guess is that he want to stream the phone screen onto the MyGig display which should be possible with a Lockpick directly without the need for AppleTV and a Wifi network.
When Benz owned Chrysler, their CanBus and other Technologies where put into the Chrysler products. Like the CrossFire was built by benz and Benz's crossover was/is chrysler....The MyGigs never were planned to connect to celluar network. They aren't built to do that or be able to.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALCYONTSF View Post
I thought we had the ability to subscribe to a mobile hotspot service from mopar. Essentially creating a wifi network to connect devices to the Internet over their cell network.
A hotspot? Only way you can have a hot spot (network) is to have a main provider to serve the hotspot, like Sprints phones can. My phone can have 10 devices feed internet from it, but it has to be near my phone. Hot spots lie at McDonalds, StarBucks etc...you have to be in the store or close by....The only thing that can do that is like the Google City Wide WiFi....they set up wifi antennas all over the town that google lives for the city to use.....

The way that Chrysler was first to offer internet in the car was a seperate company, called AutoNet, which is a celluar network comapny. They install a modem in truck and that acts as a hotspot/wifi....but it never could or did hook up to the mygig....
post #14 of 15 Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
I think this would be easiest too. I believe the LockPick supports RCA in, and you can get a cable to do RCA out from your iPhone. Just plug them together and all done!

07 X - Flame Red - 6 Speed - 5.13s - 37x12.50 MTR/Ks - ProComp 7069s 17x9
RK 3.5" X-Factor LA - WTOR Hydro Assist - Rubicon Axles F&R - Trussed & HD Brackets
PSC Flares, OR-Fab Front Bumper, Genright Rear Bumper, Poly Sliders w/ PSC Armor
post #15 of 15 Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM
V8 dreams

i'm a little confused on what you're trying to do, but would a jailbreak not work? i can run my laptop off my phone's 4G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode