Fogs on w/ High Beams??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-16-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Fogs on w/ High Beams???

I'd like to override the low beam only thing with my fogs. Have thought of replacing them with driving lights and using the factory fogs in the back bumper if I can use the wiring already handy it would be nice.

Anyone know what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
JWP
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNate View Post
I'd like to override the low beam only thing with my fogs. Have thought of replacing them with driving lights and using the factory fogs in the back bumper if I can use the wiring already handy it would be nice.

Anyone know what to do?
I'm curious about this myself. I'm doing the same thing in moving the factory fogs into the rear bumper.
I think the easiest way to do this will be to tap into the harness before the fog light relay on the wire that comes out of the column. This way if you turn the fogs on they are no regardless of your high or low beam setting.

2011 Rubicon
Teraflex leveling kit
Smittybilt XRC Flares
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
35x12.50-17 Goodyear MTR
post #3 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
I think the easiest way to do this will be to tap into the harness before the fog light relay on the wire that comes out of the column.
There is no wire from the fog light switch to the fog light relay. The multifunction switch uses the LIN bus to communicate with the instrument cluster which uses the CAN bus to communicate with the TIPM and turn on the fog lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Rock God

Less trouble just to rewire front and rear and use independent switches. I wired mine direct off the battery so as not to have these issues. The factory power system is very sensitive and any excessive draw may cause partial shutdown.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM
JWP
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Less trouble just to rewire front and rear and use independent switches. I wired mine direct off the battery so as not to have these issues. The factory power system is very sensitive and any excessive draw may cause partial shutdown.
that is about what I have decided. that or deal with only running my fog lights with low beams

2011 Rubicon
Teraflex leveling kit
Smittybilt XRC Flares
17x9 Mickey Thompson Classic II's
35x12.50-17 Goodyear MTR
post #6 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Well I left the OEM fogs in the front and used some cheapie driving lights in my rear bumper.
I'm sure the lights on on low only could be reprogramed but I don't know if it would be easy. I wondered if it could be done with another relay tied into the headlight high beam but I've heard to many people complain of issues.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
that is about what I have decided. that or deal with only running my fog lights with low beams
Well if Fog lights are used for the purpose they are intended for then they don't have to work with high beams since the blinding reflection created by the high beams would negate the small vision advantage gained by the fog lights

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #8 of 14 Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Well if Fog lights are used for the purpose they are intended for then they don't have to work with high beams since the blinding reflection created by the high beams would negate the small vision advantage gained by the fog lights
True. But since the stock lighting is so fantastic, I'd like to be able to have the fogs on to help illuminate at least a little bit better than those fantastic stock High beams.

If I could I'd replace the stock lights with high output highbeams, and replace the fogs with driving beams. I've driven enough in thick fog that having tried many different lights in many different rigs I can tell you the only ones that seemed to actually work were the Hella fogs. But even with them I would say they really are not worth the bother.
I'd much rather light up the dark wet roads at higher speeds farther out. Moose are not easy to see and in the fog you should be driving slower anyway.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Anyone ever figure this out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #10 of 14 Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

The new Superchip Flashpaq was able to do this on my 2013. Just select it from the menu, and bam... fogs whenever you want.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #11 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Granite Guru

Get better headlights, in a lot of states fogs on with high beams is illegal (in Pennsylvania it's illegal), that's why they came from the factory only working with the low beams.

2013 Sahara Unlimited

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”
post #12 of 14 Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

I've got HID's. The light pattern with HIDs on high and the Rigid Fogs on is awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #13 of 14 Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 AM
Wheeler

I have the Bullydog GT tuner for jeeps on my '13 and has the option to keep them on with high beams
post #14 of 14 Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Wheeler

I have the superchips flashcal .I turned the fogs on with my high beams with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode