Auxillary Lights??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Auxillary Lights???

I'm wanting to put auxillary lights on my jeep but with so many to choose from, it's hard to decide which ones to get. I don't want low end, low dollar lights and I can't afford top dollar ones either. What I want to do is put two on the A pillar, 4 across the top of the light bar, and maybe two on the bumper. Does anyone know how well the WARN wireless lights work? I'm also looking at PIAA, and HELLA. If anyone has any suggestions I'd surely appriciate it...

Thanks,
Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-26-2012, 10:20 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

My money would be on Hella 500FF's if you're going halogen. Inexpensive, and they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-26-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

That's a good combo... they've made my list. Hoping to get more input from others too so I can narrow it down. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not exactly "cheap," but not exactly what I'd consider overly expensive, either, but I'm running the HIDX 7" on my a-pillars. For the whole kit, including lights, wiring, switch, etc. I think I paid $275 shipped and they're bright as hell. They're a Euro driving beam, so they're pretty much a cross between a flood and a spot, providing a wide pattern right in front of the vehicle and reaching out for a pretty good distance (up to a mile as claimed by HIDX), too. I've been hog hunting with them and was able to get a scope on a deer on the other side of the property from where I was, which was a good half mile away. And no, I didn't shoot the deer, as it was out of season.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Rock God

What is your budget dollar wise? $100 a light?
Your talking about eight lights, for what?
I reaaallly like my rigid 50" bar but I know its out of reach for most. Before that I had installed 3 4" hidx lights that are definately brighter than headlights. Only downside to them is the take 15-20 seconds to warm up, so on again off again operation isnt kosher.
There are plenty of options out there. Do you already have the windshield bar? How about 4" hidx on the a pillar and a rigid hood mounted on bdf mounts?

post #6 of 15 Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Rock God

Really depends on your budget, and exactly what you're looking for. But two half decent HIDs will kick the snot out of a bunch of halogen lights. However if it's all based on looks (which was kind of hinted at) then get some cheaper ones. With HIDs and LEDs coming down in price, I wouldn't even look at halogen lights. HIDs and LEDs put out a shitload more light.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For all your protection needs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #7 of 15 Old 05-30-2012, 04:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've never been disappointed with PIAA lights.

580 Drivers (7" dia.)

510 Xtreme White SMR Floods (4" dia.)

Rack
2-580 Drivers, 2 - 580 Floods (7" dia.)
Bumper
2-540 ION Fogs (6" dia.)

/

Last edited by Loki646; 05-30-2012 at 04:51 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Granite Guru

I like the IPF 968 lights, used them on my Cherokee very often. The typical round slim style, but they have a unique reflector that throws the light a little differently than the usual lights. I would have used them on my JK but I want to keep everything a notch above the average stuff and use only HID or LED for lighting on this. I have a pair of the 7" HIDs on my front bumper, and use them when I get the chance on backroads. If you really need extra light, it's hard to beat those for the price! Tons of light and the color temperature makes for better contrast than normal halogen lights.

For looks, the PIAA lights are usually the best looking with the reflector designs and the tinted lenses. Hella Black Magics are cool as well. For cost, the Hella 500s are probably the best choice from all of the reputable brands. KC Apollos are right behind them (plastic housings instead of the steel housings from the KC Slimlites).

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #9 of 15 Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Decent lights for not alot of money.... Never disappointed in my Hella 500s. The new FFs are even more gooder.

Lord, give me patience. I'm afraid that if you give me strength I'll need bail money too.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Led light bar across the hood and be done with it , trail worthy fab has them

post #11 of 15 Old 06-03-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for all the input, much appriciated! I definately don't want junk on my jeep and I don't want to go over the top either. I'm looking good quality lights that can shine like it's day time. I'd like to be able to turn them on/off as needed in case of on coming traffic. It sounds like the HID's wouldn't work for that. All this is still in idea's, nothing firm yet. I'm looking at all options... I only want to do this once.

Again, thanks for all your responces
post #12 of 15 Old 06-04-2012, 07:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With the HID's, yes it does take a few seconds for them to warm up the first time you flip them on. If you have to turn them off, though, you can turn them right back on without having to wait for them to warm up again unless you leave them off for a while. So if you turn them off and then right back on, it's not an issue. More than welcome to come check mine out anytime.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Rock God

For the price of 4 sets of nice halogen lights you could easilly get a 20" light bar from most of the major companies, and have as much, if not more light than the halogens.

The less expensive, but quality halogen and HID lights will run between $150 and $250 per set for a total between $600 and $1,000. In that price range you can afford up to a 40" Rigid E series, or for about another $150 you could get the 50" E series, and have way more light with an instant on and off. For a bit more you could get the Baja Designs lights which are a bit niver than the Rigids.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
For the price of 4 sets of nice halogen lights you could easilly get a 20" light bar from most of the major companies, and have as much, if not more light than the halogens.

The less expensive, but quality halogen and HID lights will run between $150 and $250 per set for a total between $600 and $1,000. In that price range you can afford up to a 40" Rigid E series, or for about another $150 you could get the 50" E series, and have way more light with an instant on and off. For a bit more you could get the Baja Designs lights which are a bit niver than the Rigids.
If you're looking for something that performs forget about halogen lights. I'm sure there still some decent ones out there... but HIDs and LEDs still provide way more light if you're okay spending a few bucks.

You're in Texas... I'm sure that just on this forum alone there has to be someone with a LED and someone with some HIDs that you could meet up with to compare them so you can see them in person. This is important... Lighting is pretty subjective. Everyone has a different opinion on "decent". I've spent probably close to $2500 on different HIDs over the last 2 years - and still haven't found that ideal balance for what I want. Or maybe I'm just being unrealistic - who knows.

HIDs will run ~150 a light. However I doubt you need more than 2-4 (depending on lights, looks, placement, etc). As someone already said you can dim the HIDs for oncoming traffic and turn them back on again without having the warm up time (I do this all the time).

If you're looking to save a couple bucks, you can get a set of LF lights, then buy a kit online to put 75/100w HIDs in them. This is the route I took. Pair of 170 LF 100w HIDs on the hood and once I get my bumper bar will put those in my 240s and put the 75w ones on the hood. Depending on how you do it, kit costs between 150-300 plus the LF lights.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #15 of 15 Old 06-10-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks again everyone... and Shortbus, I might have to take you up on the invite. Jaker, that LED light bar is impressive!!! Definately has me thinking about one. I looked at the price of a Rigid 50" LED for the top of my windshield and just about fell out of my chair!!! $1500.00??? Really?? Outside my price range. Anyway, I'll probably be like Riptide and slowly buy until I can find the 'right' combo... for starters I have a pair of 520 PIAA xion(?) lights on their way from a forum member that I'm going to mount on the bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode