Issue with LED fast blink. Help appreciated. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Issue with LED fast blink. Help appreciated.

Hey everyone. I installed my Warrior Products corners with LED's about 4 months ago. They're great products and worked great for about 3 months. Then just awhile ago, I started to get a fast blink issue only on my passenger side. My driver side is not affected and works like a charm.

I say it's a fast blink issue, but not what you think. Here's what happens:

The issue is with my high beam tail lamp on the pass side. The low beam is for the driving light, the high beam is for the brake/signal. Whenever I start my Jeep up, the issue isn't there. High beam light comes on when I brake and signal. Now it's when it gets weird. When I'm going 50 or slower and around town, nothing goes wrong. The minute I hit a highway and maintain 60 or more mph for any period of time, the light goes off. No signal, no brake light, and the fast blink comes on.

I shut the Jeep off at a stop light, turn it back on, the issue goes away.

WTF.

First I thought it was the LED. Told Warrior Products, they told me to swap LH and RH lights and see if it was the lights. It wasn't. The issue was still on the pass side.

They sent me a new resistor. Changed that out. Re-spliced and re-soldered everything. Checked all my connections. Taped the heck out of every exposed wire. Didn't work either. Hit a highway, lose my high beam light.

Not exactly sure what's going on. Something tells me it's my Jeep's electronics. I also have a hunch my Jeep just doesn't like LED's. So my next move is to switch back to my halogens and see if the issue goes away. If it does, my Jeep Hates LEDs. If it's still around....... then maybe I chance going to a dealership to get my electronics checked out and pay an arm and a leg to get it fixed.

I'm somewhat at wits end. Anyone have this weird issue happen to them? Or theories?

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

Well I think it's a WP product issue. I have the steel rears and after I unlock the doors, then open any unlocked door my passenger side brake-light/LED flashes once. It's the only one that does this. I don't have any other LED's on my Jeep right now.

From the time they were installed (around April 5 or so) until present it does this and the dealer installed mine since they were doing everything else.

Tech said it was a relay or something causing my issue. Load resistor could be bad???? I don't know maybe they're not getting the juice they need over 60...don't know why that would be.

I would check to see how they are wired again, proper ground (if needed). I didn't see what came in the box so no instructions.
----------
Installation guide: CLICK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

Last edited by DisaMent; 05-16-2012 at 08:05 AM.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the same flashing light happen when I open doors as well. Always on the pass side only. Yours fast blinks too?

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I think my wife mentioned that to me once. She hasn't said anything about the tail lights extinguishing prematurely or when I'm over 60 mph. I'll go out front and check and post back.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #5 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Wheeler

I installed led front amber run/blink bulbs and it makes my blinkers fast blink. I am getting ready to install rear led tail lights/blink, do I need anything special or do I just tap into the exist wiring?

09 rubicon 4d on 37 MTRs, 17" soft 8s,1.25 wheel spacers, 3.5 rubicon lift, synergy drag and ball joints, RIED knuckles, welded u joints,trused and gusseted housing,RUFF STUFF HD tie rod, 5.38s, outlaw diff covers, custom bumpers by me, tantrum lights, hid headlights,LED run lights,flow master short exhaust, relocated evap,and more to come...
post #6 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doddfactor View Post
I installed led front amber run/blink bulbs and it makes my blinkers fast blink. I am getting ready to install rear led tail lights/blink, do I need anything special or do I just tap into the exist wiring?
Depends what lights you're getting I would imagine. There appears to be two options when installing the WP steels. THe install instructions are under post #2.
-----------------
OP - the wife said that they do not blink fast, just appears like it since there is not a dim-to-full-on-bright on the LED's. She also hasn't noticed anything odd, or wrong, with the WP steels. I haven't had anyone rear-end me yet.

Maybe check the wiring again, don't know really.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #7 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doddfactor View Post
You would probably need to install a resistor in parallel to the LED to fool the system into thinking the loads are similar to your stock setup. That gets rid of the fast blink.

post #8 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
You would probably need to install a resistor in parallel to the LED to fool the system into thinking the loads are similar to your stock setup. That gets rid of the fast blink.
is there a specific one? I had to do this on my HID headlight setup also. I tapped it in through the selinoid.

/

09 rubicon 4d on 37 MTRs, 17" soft 8s,1.25 wheel spacers, 3.5 rubicon lift, synergy drag and ball joints, RIED knuckles, welded u joints,trused and gusseted housing,RUFF STUFF HD tie rod, 5.38s, outlaw diff covers, custom bumpers by me, tantrum lights, hid headlights,LED run lights,flow master short exhaust, relocated evap,and more to come...
post #9 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have PSC corners and Truck-lite LEDs and have the same two issues on the passenger side. I have a resistor on both sides. Posted up something about it a while back. Seems several folks have this issue ...doesn't really bother me.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #10 of 23 Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I have PSC corners and Truck-lite LEDs and have the same two issues on the passenger side. I have a resistor on both sides. Posted up something about it a while back. Seems several folks have this issue ...doesn't really bother me.
It doesn't bother me either except when I want to turn right lol. Mine's a DD so I might have to ditch my LED's and go back to standard bulbs.

post #11 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bumping for more input...

post #12 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Bumping for more input...
my lights came from 4wheeldrive hardware they had genrite stickers in the box but I just think they are trucker lights wich is fine, I bought 2 1/4 inch white LED for the rev light.

post #13 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Granite Guru

Something is up with the resistor kit..to make the leds flash right there are in line resistors to help the voltage output. My or fab led lights did this. Ran ok for a few weeks and now the right side has an issue..got a new resistor kit from them and now all's kosher
post #14 of 23 Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Granite Guru

throw a diode and a cap = solve more than likely 99% sure on this.

Maker of Black box, In-cab winch control and other electronics
Want to make wiring easy and painless?
Order your "Black Box" today!!

post #15 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Turns out the issue is with my jeep. I reinstalled my stock lamp, ran it down the freeway and the exact same issue occurred on the stock setup.

Being that this is such a specific failure mode (on highways and at speed) and that it affects a stock setup as well, I'm thinking it's an issue with my TIPM. Will continue digging.

Wanted to say thanks to warrior products and their amazing customer service. They helped me thru the entire process and were very prompt and friendly. I am very happy and impressed by them!

post #16 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Your factory tail light WILL CONTINUE to blink fast for a bit after switching back. It takes a bit to re-set.

go to auto zone/pep boys/whoever, go in the lighting section, look for the LED replacement light and right there should be a resistor kit for like $12.
wire it in.

here is mine wired in and completely heat shrunk (they are white ceramic)
post #17 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the resistor. I bought it with my WP corners. I actually didn't have any issues running my LEDs for the first three months. Then my electronics went bad and all my issues began.

post #18 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 01:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I have the resistor. I bought it with my WP corners. I actually didn't have any issues running my LEDs for the first three months. Then my electronics went bad and all my issues began.
thats...odd mine blinked fast as soon as I connected them.

so its still doing it with ALL factory lights? Are all lights working? did you replace the electronic blinker relay?
post #19 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Granite Guru

Every vendor is selling the same damn resistor in regards to rear tail lamps led replacements.
And frankly it's a miracle if anyone's jk doesn't fast blink or throw a code with led tails.

The problem is a 3157 bulb has a specific resistance that the computer looks for.
The only way to stop the fast blink and or codes is to match the 3157 bulb within +\- 10%

I actually had a resistor custom made so that the resistor plus the led tail adds up to the
proper load and resistance for a 3157 bulb.

Works like a charm, it looks like I might be signing up for vendor status.

Sorry for the partial hijack
post #20 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzer View Post
Every vendor is selling the same damn resistor in regards to rear tail lamps led replacements.
And frankly it's a miracle if anyone's jk doesn't fast blink or throw a code with led tails.

The problem is a 3157 bulb has a specific resistance that the computer looks for.
The only way to stop the fast blink and or codes is to match the 3157 bulb within +\- 10%

I actually had a resistor custom made so that the resistor plus the led tail adds up to the
proper load and resistance for a 3157 bulb.

Works like a charm, it looks like I might be signing up for vendor status.

Sorry for the partial hijack

Cool! Where'd ja get it made?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #21 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

jP Magazine...Page 31...Center of page.

Don't know how much they are but they suggest an LED Flasher Module to replace the factory one.

P/N shown is GCD-TJ0106...looks like it's for TJ. This particular has OFFROAD ONLY on it.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #22 of 23 Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisaMent View Post
jP Magazine...Page 31...Center of page.

Don't know how much they are but they suggest an LED Flasher Module to replace the factory one.

P/N shown is GCD-TJ0106...looks like it's for TJ. This particular has OFFROAD ONLY on it.

Read that ...that one is for a TJ.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #23 of 23 Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Read that ...that one is for a TJ.
I pointed out that is was for a TJ in the post. It was merely a reference point to get the OP to search for. I checked though and there IS NOT a LED flasher module for the JK that is available yet.

Here is the Warrior Products P/N for the resistor kit: Part No. 2905

I'm pretty sure I will eventually have the same issue.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode