MyGig/Uconnect Activation w/ Bluetooth - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

MyGig/Uconnect Activation w/ Bluetooth

Hey all, newbie here. So the dealership said it will cost about $500 to activate the uConnect on my 08 Jeep JK Sahara. I have the MyGig touchscreen with nav. I would love to get the hands free bluetooth going. From looking at the forum it seems that I can just buy a mic and get to the engineering menu to activate. When I hit the uconnect button it says it isn't available or recognized. The question is, do I also need a bluetooth connection kit? Or is that already installed on the MyGig system for my Jeep? Thanks for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Granite Guru

I ended up having to install a lockpick on my head unit along with the Chrysler mic. That unlocked the Bluetooth and gave me iPod controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Okay, so the bluetooth is installed, I just need to find a way to unlock it? Wondering why the dealership quoted over $500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

I forgot what the buttons to press to get into the programming mode, but all I did was bought a $20 mic from costal tech and turned on the u-connect on the radio. $20, or $500... Seems like an easy choice. I'm sure the instructions are on this site somewhere. If not, I know they're on Jeepforum.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #5 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just to clarify, you just installed the mic, got into the programming screen, finished the setup and bluetooth was working? I'll buy the mic today if that's all I need to do. I have some threads saved to show how to get into the programming mode.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellcarey View Post
Just to clarify, you just installed the mic, got into the programming screen, finished the setup and bluetooth was working? I'll buy the mic today if that's all I need to do. I have some threads saved to show how to get into the programming mode.
Exactly, after installing the mic that I purchased here I hit the Menu, Seek Up and Seek Down buttons at the same time to enter engineering mode. Then go to about the 4th or 5th page and select Enable JK HF/VR and you're done. Saved $480.... You don't need the lock pick stuff unless you want to install a back up camera, and watch dvd's while driving...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Exactly, after installing the mic that I purchased here I hit the Menu, Seek Up and Seek Down buttons at the same time to enter engineering mode. Then go to about the 4th or 5th page and select Enable JK HF/VR and you're done. Saved $480.... You don't need the lock pick stuff unless you want to install a back up camera, and watch dvd's while driving...
Or want iPod/iPhone control

post #8 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakemanPa View Post
Or want iPod/iPhone control

Don't think that was an option for my 2008. No need for me with the 30gig hard drive. Plenty of music to listen to.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fantastic information. Thank you. And I also have the 30 GB hard drive so I don't use the iPod controls. The DVD player might be nice for the kids but it hasn't come up as an issue yet. Thanks.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

You're welcome. One other thing, do not pay the dealer to update the software. That's another thing you can do yourself.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellcarey View Post
Hey all, newbie here. So the dealership said it will cost about $500 to activate the uConnect on my 08 Jeep JK Sahara. I have the MyGig touchscreen with nav. I would love to get the hands free bluetooth going. From looking at the forum it seems that I can just buy a mic and get to the engineering menu to activate. When I hit the uconnect button it says it isn't available or recognized. The question is, do I also need a bluetooth connection kit? Or is that already installed on the MyGig system for my Jeep? Thanks for the responses.
go to this website for mygig stuff. everything you need. latest downloads for MyGig and Gracenotes located here for free. good luck.

http://mofv.com/mygig/

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 05-11-2012 at 07:15 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Granite Guru

Definitely update on your own. It was very easy. I change my music up a lot, so I like being able to plug my iPod in and let the music roll. O got tire of copying music to my usb drive and then copying it over to the mygig hd.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
hey, i just came across this thread while doing a search....

so, if i do the HF/VR enabling, will i be able to play my iphone music via Bluetooth??

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #14 of 16 Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
hey, i just came across this thread while doing a search....

so, if i do the HF/VR enabling, will i be able to play my iphone music via Bluetooth??
nope...

I'm saying that based on you having a 2008. It only activates the hands-free telephone operation functions. For whatever reasons, they haven't released an update to allow streaming.

Footnote: You don't need a lockpick to control/play your iPod with some years of the mygig. I have a Mopar cable connected to an iPod classic in the glovebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWalker View Post
nope...

I'm saying that based on you having a 2008. It only activates the hands-free telephone operation functions. For whatever reasons, they haven't released an update to allow streaming.

Footnote: You don't need a lockpick to control/play your iPod with some years of the mygig. I have a Mopar cable connected to an iPod classic in the glovebox.
thanx... so, after doing that, i just install the Mopar mic and i have the telephone function via bluetooth, right??

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
post #16 of 16 Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Granite Guru

This is a lie. I bought a Mygig RER for my 2009 and you just need to buy the mic and hook it up then you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I think I would rather hunt feral cats for food then to grocery shop at a walmart.
2009 Sahara JKU

TO DO LIST

[]4.5 Clayton
[]37" Copper STT/Mud grapplers
[]pro comp 7069 (black)
[]River Raiders Narrow fenders
[]XRC front bumper
[]XRC Rear Bumper
[]VKS Fab - Bolt-on 4 Door Sliders
[]tramp stamp (river raiders/jeep swag)
[]20" LED bar
[] dirtdog 4x4 3 piece net
[]MBRP off road exhaust
[]Mygig RER 730N

only on a 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode