trailer light install, cannot get connector loose... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

trailer light install, cannot get connector loose...

I got the rugged ridge hitch + trailer lights kit and everything is fine with the kit but I have to take the drivers side tail lights loose from the connector and put this harness between the two. How hard can that be right? Well everything I try and do is a disaster... I absolutely cannot get the tail lights free from the connector. Its like the glued it together from the factory or something. I thought maybe im crazy, so i tried the passenger side and it comes apart very easy. Ive just about broken it now, ive used two pairs of channel locks to pull them apart and it will not come loose. Can I connect the harness on the passenger side or is there something special about the drivers side? ugh...

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

anyone know if i can use the passenger side tail light for the trailer harness or does it have to be drivers side?

post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mine was snug but not like that. Try and see if it works on the ps, I thought the plugs were different but maybe not.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Mine was snug but not like that. Try and see if it works on the ps, I thought the plugs were different but maybe not.
nah they are the exact same. I truly think they glued the drivers side or something. I used two channel locks and tried to pull them apart and couldnt. I just didnt know if the drivers side was wired in some priority vs the passenger side or not.
guess ill just wire it up and see what i get...

Last edited by savage; 05-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
nah they are the exact same. I truly think they glued the drivers side or something. I used two channel locks and tried to pull them apart and couldnt. I just didnt know if the drivers side was wired in some priority vs the passenger side or not.
Early on I read stories of dealers splicing and hard wiring trailer harnesses in before they realized there was a kit from mopar. It's got to be better than that. <shrug>

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

the only other thing that i can think of is that when i pop the tail light cover off the jeep, i can look through the body and see through it to the ground on the drivers side. on the passenger side it has that expandable foam sprayed inside so there is no holes/gaps. I guess its possible somehow moisture has helped it seize. I dunno. Oh well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode