Installing Nav head unit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Installing Nav head unit

Hey guys, newb here hoping someone can steer me the right direction. I picked up a Pioneer AVIC X930 BT for dirt cheap the other day and I'm looking for what I need to install it. 08 JK Unlimited, factory head unit with single disc and Sirius. I want to keep the Sirius subscription as well. Quotes I'm getting for install seem ridiculously high, 450-500 range which is about what I paid for the unit. I know there is a Sirius connection kit I need but what else is driving the price? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

The OEM harness that interfaces between your aftermarket head-unit and the factory wiring & can-bus (~ $150). Then about ~ $30 - $50 for installation bracket. Then you have to remove a bracket at the very back of radio opening depending on the depth of your head-unit. Then you have labor.

Add it all up and you still don't reach $500.

Assuming you are in NC, where are you located?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
post #3 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The extra cost must be the Sirius equipment then. Still seems steep for what it is. I'm in Charlotte, NC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Pioneer is about the only head-unit I will use. Go to their website and find the part number for the Sirius tuner, then search for the part number online (like Amazon, or a general search through Google Shopping). Then take all of your parts to the installer of your choice.

Call Crutchfield tonight or in the morning and ask them for the harness interface for your vehicle based on the head-unit you want to install. Tell them you want to look at it online. Get the part number, search for it online.

Basically, buy all of your parts first, bring them to the installer. It should not take them more than 1.5 hours if you take care of a couple of things first like removing the existing Sirius antennae and interface to the factory head-unit...and go ahead and run the aftermarket Sirius antennae and cable along the same route that the OE unit is running. If you have a hardtop it will take longer than with a soft top, as the antennae is located at the top right under the sound bar padding.

I'd offer to do the install but I think I'm about 4 hours to the east which is a bit far. If you need further help just PM me.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #5 of 5 Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the info. I ended up on Amazon and ordered all of the parts from them. Picked up a used (like new) interface harness for $33 the DDin kit for $9, and the antenna adapter for $9. The most expensive was the Sirius stuff. Had to get a vehicle tuner and interface for that at $111. Saved almost $150 from what the installer quoted me. Should all be here tomorrow and installed on Thursday. Can't wait, heard great things about this unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode