Blower motors quits periodically - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Blower motors quits periodically

My 07 wranglers blower quits on occasion. Already replaced resistor. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 AM
JKO Addict!

blower? Do you mean the heat/AC?
post #3 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Yes. The heat/ac blower motor. It'll quit every so often. When u restart the jeep it'll start back working.

Last edited by Joshrey; 04-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-19-2012, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if it was module controlled. I'm assuming it doesn't seem to be putting out any less volume, but it just shuts off? Have you looked for debris in the box?

Pop out the glove box, you may have to turn the key on and hit "recirc" to see the blower, but it's worth a shot.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm having similar issue with an 08 JKU (purchased in Oct 11). Sometimes (more frequently lately) if I turn on jeep, the blower motor won't work (at any speed). A few times, also, my front 2 windows (rear 2 are fine) won't operate.

If i turn jeep off and wait (10-15 seconds seem to be sweet spot) then start jeep back up, works fine.

I called local dealers, noone heard of anything. Called and opened ticket with jeep customer service (it's pending). Basically noone said they can do anything without reproducing issue.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Well lets hope you're not resurrecting all old forum threads here

First try a complete system reset by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes.
Check that the fan (squirrel cage behind the glove compartment) is turning easily and while there check the motor connector and cables.
In the end it can be many things including a faulty TIPM

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #7 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

any chance that the plug is loose? I had an issue with mine where I didn't get it tight enough (had the dash apart to hardwire some stuff) and it would work most of the time but not every time.

2012 Silver Rubi. AEV 2.5" lift, JCR Dagger front bumper, Superwinch EPI 9, JCR engine skid, ACE side steps, RR 7" HID lights, Wired HDH switch panel
formerly- 2001 Yellow XJ, 7" longarm, lockers, bumper, winch, armor, lights, etc
post #8 of 15 Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Rock God

I had to replace mine, super easy, took less than 5 minutes....

"Freedom through Strength"
post #9 of 15 Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 AM

I'm leaning towards faulty TIPM since it also affects my front 2 windows at the same time but not always.

restarting vehicle fixes both at the same time when it happens.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

just a suggestion. Try the wiggle test. See if you can duplicate the fail. Otherwise look up the wiring diagram and confirm what is common between the two failures, and then focus there.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #11 of 15 Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM

What did you end up finding was the issue? I'm having the same problem. Fan is on and off a couple times then just quits... Powering off (the ignition) then back on fixes it, sometimes for days, sometimes for minutes...

Thanks,
post #12 of 15 Old 03-02-2015, 09:59 PM
Rock God

I can tell you this.

If the a/c heater blower fan motor only comes on if switched to high then change resistor.

If it is off at any speed then it turns on if you give the motor a wack then change the motor,

If it is off and comes back on by only turning off the jeep and turning it on again then change the TIPM.

If all of that doesn't fix the problem then change the switch.and A/C heater control module cause that is all that is left.

Or go to the dealer and save some money.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #13 of 15 Old 12-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Wheeler

My 08 Rubicon started that same thing and after research it seems that the pin connection between the Power control module and its base(where the fuses are) was making an off- on connection to the blower motor for AC/or heat relay. I didn't really want to take it apart, sooooo, I looked behind the glove box and found the two wires going into the blower and find the one that has power when the fan is turned on. two wires, one goes to the resister and then on the switch on dash to ground. The other goes to the blower motor relay in the PCM. I spliced into the hot wire next to the blower motor and ran it out under the hood to a relay of my own from Napa auto. The hot wire to the coil activates it and the heavy wire relayed wire, goes to the plus + terminal on the battery. The wire from to coil goes to a toggle switch on the dash and back to activate the relay I installed.
Works great, no problems all summer to date. OR you can take it to he dealership and have them fix it......for a price!
post #14 of 15 Old 12-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Wheeler

My 08 Rubicon started that same thing and after research it seems that the pin connection between the Power control module and its base(where the fuses are) was making an off- on connection to the blower motor for AC/or heat relay. I didn't really want to take it apart, sooooo, I looked behind the glove box and found the two wires going into the blower and find the one that has power when the fan is turned on. two wires, one goes to the resister and then on the switch on dash to ground. The other goes to the blower motor relay in the PCM. I spliced into the hot wire next to the blower motor and ran it out under the hood to a relay of my own from Napa auto. The hot wire to the coil activates it and the heavy wire relayed wire, goes to the plus + terminal on the battery. The wire from to coil goes to a toggle switch on the dash and back to activate the relay I installed.
Works great, no problems all summer to date. OR you can take it to he dealership and have them fix it......for a price!
post #15 of 15 Old 12-09-2018, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rand View Post

duplicity ...
You've won the award for DV:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode