CB antenna mounting question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

CB antenna mounting question

Is it possible to do away with the mounting bracket completely and mount the antenna directly onto the spare tire carrier by drilling a hole through the top?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Rock God

You can if you ground the antenna or run a self grounding set up. I was going to go that way but ended up with a TF mount instead.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Okay I figured so. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
You can if you ground the antenna or run a self grounding set up. I was going to go that way but ended up with a TF mount instead.
x2 on the Teraflex mount. Nice and easy without all the extra fuss. I did have to grind a little of the powdercoating off, but other than that everything went smooth.

Only think I'll advice with the antenna, get a spring base.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Kkuntz does the spring do anything other than protect your antenna from snapping on low hanging branches?
post #6 of 19 Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by G31TER View Post
Kkuntz does the spring do anything other than protect your antenna from snapping on low hanging branches?
Yep, makes it about 3" taller!

Some antennas are more flexible than others, I have a 3' FireStick that is too rigid. If you haven't gotten an antenna yet, research to find one that is a little more on the flexible side. I think Firestick makes a more flexible model that I may end up getting sometime, I'm a fan of their screw-style tip for tuning.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #7 of 19 Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Yep, makes it about 3" taller!

... I think Firestick makes a more flexible model that I may end up getting sometime, I'm a fan of their screw-style tip for tuning.
The one your thinking about is called the Firestik FireFly. 40% lighter and more flexible.

I don't have any personal experience with CB's or antennas. I have been researching them way too much though.

[RANT] I was reading someone who said that with a spring the antenna would wave like crazy in the wind and whip back and hit the roof at times. I'm kind of thinking of not using a spring and maybe just getting an extra antenna (Spring = $10 Antenna =$20). I might do a quick release and do a 2' and then get like a 4' or 5' for trail stuff. Then I would have a back up.

From what I have read it is not ideal to have the antenna sandwiched between the tire and the back of the Jeep. That creates a lot of interference with the waves. I would guess if you get recomended 1/3 of the antenna above the hood it would work good enough for most. It is best to use a hood/cowl mount on the driver side. If you want to go in the rear a raised mount (above the tire) like the Arizona Rocky Road Antenna Mount is a good choice. I'm going to try to mod something like that one shown below.

[/RANT]
post #8 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

My setup cost me $9 bucks from a truck stop. Radio Shack has 'em too. Screw paying $40 bucks for a simple antenna mount. That's retarded.
Attached Images

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
post #9 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster76 View Post
The one your thinking about is called the Firestik FireFly. 40% lighter and more flexible.

I don't have any personal experience with CB's or antennas. I have been researching them way too much though.

[RANT] I was reading someone who said that with a spring the antenna would wave like crazy in the wind and whip back and hit the roof at times. I'm kind of thinking of not using a spring and maybe just getting an extra antenna (Spring = $10 Antenna =$20). I might do a quick release and do a 2' and then get like a 4' or 5' for trail stuff. Then I would have a back up.

From what I have read it is not ideal to have the antenna sandwiched between the tire and the back of the Jeep. That creates a lot of interference with the waves. I would guess if you get recomended 1/3 of the antenna above the hood it would work good enough for most. It is best to use a hood/cowl mount on the driver side. If you want to go in the rear a raised mount (above the tire) like the Arizona Rocky Road Antenna Mount is a good choice. I'm going to try to mod something like that one shown below.

[/RANT]
I'm not a big fan of the springs either but they do serve their purpose. I run a quick disconnect for my antenna because I only have about 2 inches clearance getting in the garage and you'd be surprised the amount of damage the stiff ass antenna I have does to the inside of an insulated garage door!

I went with the 3 foot because I thought I would be able to squeeze into the garage with it on but now that I know I can't, I will eventually get the 4' more flexible Firefly antenna.

.....and I totally agree that $40 is way too much for a mount but we know anything for a JK is twice as much as for anything else.

post #10 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
we know anything for a JK is twice as much as for anything else.
...Ain't that the truth! Thanks for the help guys. I ordered a 3' Firestik II, if it suits my needs I'll keep it, if not I'll upgrade eventually to a 4' antenna. Now I'm just waiting for the UPS guy to come visit me again
post #11 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Rock God

I just got back from NAPA and picked up the antenna stud needed and a HD spring. It is supposed to bend when pressure is applied but be sturdy enough not to whip in the wind.....time will tell.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
I just got back from NAPA and picked up the antenna stud needed and a HD spring. It is supposed to bend when pressure is applied but be sturdy enough not to whip in the wind.....time will tell.
Keep us updated J-ROD!
post #13 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #14 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM

Talking Found a link for ya

Quote:
Is it possible to do away with the mounting bracket completely and mount the antenna directly onto the spare tire carrier by drilling a hole through the top?
If you haven't drilled a hole you might want to check this out
thread -->Installation of a FireStick Firefly Antenna on Spare Tire Mount (drills hole no mount)

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the springs either but they do serve their purpose. I run a quick disconnect for my antenna because I only have about 2 inches clearance getting in the garage and you'd be surprised the amount of damage the stiff ass antenna I have does to the inside of an insulated garage door! ...
I'm sort of thinking that a spring and a quick disco would be a good combo for the base of the tire carrier location. It'll pushed the antenna up where it isn't as sandwiched by the tire and serves a purpose.

There is a 2' Firestik that you could put on there for daily driving, but I'm guessing that you would get crap reception with it.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you! That is exactly how I want to install mine
post #16 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rooster, do I have to attach the ground wire to the FireRing or can I attach it to another part of the tire carrier?
post #17 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 AM

You probablly want to check this out FireRing Stud Mount Installation

This seems to be the most traditional way to do the mount

Quote:
Rooster, do I have to attach the ground wire to the FireRing or can I attach it to another part of the tire carrier?
Good call going with the FireRing space is going to be pretty tight if it is anything like the 2012 carrier.

From what I have read It seems to me that it would be actually better to ground to a different part of the tire mount (like to a different bolt) to prevent what is called a ground loop (mentioned in this thread "GOOD GROUND" ). Then run that to somewhere on the tub like the bolt for the sub. It is best if you dremel the paint off to get a good connection. Personally I think I would try it first before removing the paint, but I don't even have 1000 miles on mine.

If after tuning the SWR still sucks. Like over 2. I might try the ground on the fire ring side.

I would make sure to not put a grounding wire to the side with the nylon washer. To me that would sort of seem to defeat the point of why the washer is there.

RANT OF THE DAY = Tuning
In the end it is a CB and your really only going to be able to get about 5 miles if you jump through all the hoops. Maybe 1-2 miles if you don't ground and tune everything great. The most important thing is to test the SWR and adjust the antenna. If your under 2 on channel 1 and 40 then your not going to ruin your CB. If it is above that then you need to keep working on it.

I would check out the CB Antenna Tuning Instructions from this page -->http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...l#installation

This is a good reference page too http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

QUICK NOTES FOR TUNING
In a perfect world channel 1 and 40 would have the same SWR for the best antenna tune possible, even if the SWR is high.

If your SWR on channel 1 is lower then 40 then you antenna is long
If your SWR on channel 1 is Higher than 40 then your antenna is short

If it's high on both try to ground better.

Make very small millimeter changes when tuning and put the cap on when testing.

If you add a spring/ quick disco/ flag you should check your swr and adjust your antenna

After you get the antenna tuned then spray the inside of the cap with some hair spray before putting it back on. That should help to keep it from coming off. It's how we put grips on mountain bikes.

Last edited by Rooster76; 04-20-2012 at 02:22 AM.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you for all of your help Rooster, you've been a wealth of knowledge. It seems to me that there are multiple ways to ground a cb antenna and guys will argue it either way. I'm going to mount it on another section as you suggested to avoid potential ground loop. Now my CB just needs to arrive from Amazon so I can get it installed!
post #19 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Keep us updated J-ROD!
up and down the interstate all weekend and it barely moved in the wind. but it does flex well when pressure is applied near the top of the antenna....I think this will work just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode