Help needed. Complete electrical failure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help needed. Complete electrical failure

So I have searched and I must say the new site configuration stinks for searching.

Anyway, I suffered a complete electrical failure today. 2008 jku with 65k miles and a sears platinum battery with about 20k miles. This started on my way home from the store. Mistreated up and heard a whirrrrrrr that increase frequency with rpms. Started driving home and one by one warning lights kit the dash like a Christmas tree. Finally the dreaded lightning bolt and the jeep cutoff as I pulled in the driveway. )thankfully). What gives? I have tried the battery disconnect, no start. Jumping it off doesn't work. No clicks or noise at all when I truth start it. No lights. And I can pull no codes with the super chips.

Anything else I should try before I tow it to the dealership? Does it sound like an alternator? Or something bigger (tipm or PCM)?

Any help is appreciated

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Aboveumall.com Muffler Relocation
Woods Evap Relo
Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
Rough Country quick discos
Rough Country double steering stablizer
wussy interior mods galore
2 Sunshine Kids carseats that exactly match the stock fabric
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Terminals looks good, clean? Check battery voltage, should be 12.6 or above. If not, either your battery lost a cell or the charging system is having issues. Or a combination of the two items above. If your battery is below 12.6, try charging it and get it back in the vehicle. There were a couple of threads about this not that long ago and I believe the evil was bad ground connection at the battery. Stubexrube had the same thing, couldn't jump it, but when he cleaned the terminal it was fine if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Terminals look good and clean. I tightened everything down. I haven't put the metering it yet. I figured it wold jump if it was bad battery but seems these things can act screwy with a bad batt.

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Woods Evap Relo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof2 View Post
Terminals look good and clean. I tightened everything down. I haven't put the metering it yet. I figured it wold jump if it was bad battery but seems these things can act screwy with a bad batt.
Computers in today's cars have to see a well-charged battery or the engine dies.
Try have the battery tested. That'll tell you whether it's dead and/or any good internally.
That has to be step one.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Any update? I hope for your sake it isnt the TIPM. Im going through this issue now and the Jeep has been in the shop for over 6 weeks.

Last: RUCON - 2008 Rubicon, Silver 4Dr, Auto, RC 2.5" Lift, Superchips, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Schrockworks Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, KC SlimLites, Raptor Lined Fenders/Grill/Bumper/Hardtop
First: RECON - 2008 X, Flame Red 2Dr, 6 Spd, Trailmaster 4.5", 37 MTRs on 17" XD Addicts, Hypertech Programmer, Air Raid CAI, ORFab Front Bumper, KC SlimLites.
US Army (Retired) - Operation Enduring Freedom 2004-2005
post #6 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Been out of town...but I got a new battery, installed it and then heard the alternator crapping out. Thing darn near caught on fire. So I shit it down and ordered a new alt.

Wil be installing that later today and will post an update.

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Woods Evap Relo
post #7 of 9 Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Now, are you certain your old battery was bad? Just curious. I do realize you possibly found the issue.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #8 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It was the alt.

Yeah, the battery was bad. Fortunately it was a sears platinum,with full replacement. What I can't figure out it how the alt fried the battery. Oh well, everything appears a-ok now.

I have lost alts before and not had them behave like this. These gals are finicky to say the
Least

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Woods Evap Relo
post #9 of 9 Old 04-22-2012, 01:16 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The internal regulator malfunctioned. It happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode