Radio delete? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Radio delete?

Anybody yanked the factory radio completely out and made some type of plate where you can just run your radio straight from your phone/ipod to an amp or two? Only problem I'm seeing is I wouldn't have a remote wire for the amps but in reality we are talking a toggle switch or jumper from the ignition to cure this... Any other problems I'm missing here? 99.9% of the time I don't listen to FM radio and my clock is NEVER right and it bugs the shit out of me. my thinking is chunk it all run a pair of amps and have my phone sit in its place with the CORRECT time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

(EDIT FOR TALKING OUT OF MY BUM... ignore)
don't forget that the CANbus electronics run through that harness too.
it's not just speaker wires and power.

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS

Last edited by SCOUT37JK; 04-29-2012 at 12:46 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info I guess that kind of kills that idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Unplug the radio and run it, I don't see the radio and can bus causing you any grief.

All that you need is a headphone jack to RCA to go to an aftermarket amp, the normal remote wire can be a toggle switch or run off the switched ignition, we should be able to make you a delete plate or we can find you a pocket or something.

You may want to look into x overs that are made for this, like taking the left and right signal and making it front, rear and left, right to keep an almost true stereo sound, not that you can really tell in a jeep?

If you need help let me know, I used to do only custom high end audio and alarm so we could probably come up with something that you will be very pleased with. I'd make it a stand alone system and bypass the can bus system

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Rob that's what I was planning to do just wasn't sure about it effecting other junk. I'm thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to make a plate outta some sheet metal and go with it. Half considering remote mounting the head unit if it becomes a pain and rewiring everything straight to the amp..

As of now I'm thinking about running 4 JL 6.5 (m series marine) and getting rid of the sound bar crap completely by just welding up a couple pieces of sheet metal to hold them. The front may be tri my trying to get to sue to my cage though! I need to pull it out anyway and have it blasted and repaired.

Amp wise I'm leaning towards the fusion marine ms-da51600. Still haven't decided on a sub but do know it will be built into a false floor in the cargo area. I'm leaning towards image dynamics as in my younger days I used to compete with a couple ID Maxs that I loved. This round won't get them though!

It wont be as nice as my old set up I had back in the day with focal components ran on lunar amps and my idmaxs but hell it's a jeep that gets wet.. .. Alot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

correction, I assumed the factory radio like other modern systems ran the can bus through the stereo... I was pulling apart my radio today and found that I was wrong.
it is just a simple wire harness for the audio and antenna.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335725027.653028.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  42.0 KB

I'm also deleting my stereo and adding a simple panel to house my switches and an aftermarket radio/media player.

stupid simple for me.

post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUT37JK View Post
correction, I assumed the factory radio like other modern systems ran the can bus through the stereo... I was pulling apart my radio today and found that I was wrong.
it is just a simple wire harness for the audio and antenna.Attachment 50649

I'm also deleting my stereo and adding a simple panel to house my switches and an aftermarket radio/media player.

stupid simple for me.
I was reading a thread where the Poster was getting all types of error messages when he pulled his radio before getting/installing a newhead unit. Have you tried driving with the head unit unhooked?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

ATTENTION: If you delete or replace your head unit with an AEV ProCal installed, you will need to reinstall the radio to completely remove the ProCal. I was involved in a transactions with someone that replaced their head unit and couldn't get the AEV tool off their Jeep to sell it clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
ATTENTION: If you delete or replace your head unit with an AEV ProCal installed, you will need to reinstall the radio to completely remove the ProCal. I was involved in a transactions with someone that replaced their head unit and couldn't get the AEV tool off their Jeep to sell it clear.
Dude, glad you pointed this out.This is something that is not pointed out on their website nor was it mentioned by Jeff at AEV in out face-to-face conversation. Thank you sir.

OP, I'm sure there is a way to get what you want but you may burn through some money and harness adapters trying to figure it out without interfering with the can-bus.

I would just buy a cheap ass head unit, half-din, with iPod controls then you have a location to mount a CB underneath it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran

~
~
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

my stereo is the base unit, AM/FM CD.

I have the SC flash paq. I ran the jeep for a bit and no lights popped up on the dash.

post #11 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm switching my head unit, but I've been driving around for a couple of days with the large hole in my dash. No lights or alarms.

Now, in this picture, what is the white/grey stripe wire off the connector (next to the yellow power wire)? I have all the others figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUT37JK View Post
it is just a simple wire harness for the audio and antenna.Attachment 50649
Is it the Acc switched power wire?

2007 Wrangler 2dr X
post #12 of 13 Old 05-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

check this out. I have a friend that has one in his 89 range rover although I have yet to physically see it. He says it's the cats meow. http://www.ocarusa.com/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SwPQkdACJIU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go Play Outside.

Last edited by benny; 05-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_campede View Post
I'm switching my head unit, but I've been driving around for a couple of days with the large hole in my dash. No lights or alarms.

Now, in this picture, what is the white/grey stripe wire off the connector (next to the yellow power wire)? I have all the others figured out.

Is it the Acc switched power wire?
I think those two next to the power are linked to the dimmer and the CPU for when the doors are off. I think...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode