Has anyone heard of an aftermarket radio causing havoc on a 2012? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Has anyone heard of an aftermarket radio causing havoc on a 2012?

I recently bought a '12 Rubicon with a non-nav radio. I immediately had a Pioneer nav head unit put in and it worked flawlessly until I had a lift, Speaker LED headlights, tires, wheels, fog lights, driving lights, winch, led rear brake light, and reverse light installed.

Right after I had the lights ,etc. installed, my ABS, Sway Bar, Traction control, descent control, lights started coming on, as well as my speedo needle going from 80 to 20 to 80 again while the PRND lights were flickering.

I had an AEV Pro-Cal installed to see if the speedo problem would be resolved. It wasn't
I took it to the dealer who said my radio was throwing codes all over the place, and that I would have to put a stock head unit in to resolve the issue.
I then had the shop who did the aftermarket work check it on their end, and they actually took the jeep to a local dealer to check it out for an electrical glitch.

After replacing several modules, including the rear brake light module, and the steering , or traction module, the lights kept coming on.

They checked everything, and finally took out the radio and ran it. the lights didn't come on.
Now, I am pretty sure I have to go with a Chrysler nav head unit.
Has anyone had this issue , or heard of it? I think it was a combination of my aftermarket radio and the electrical items on the same circuit that caused this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Have you tried a different aftermarket head unit?
post #3 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

the Pioneer costs about 1400.
I was told that anything other than a Mopar/chrysler will cause the computer to search for the radio which it doesn't seem to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Rock God

if you unplug the new head unit does it all go away?

2011 Cosmo blue Unlimited Sport- stock for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I didn't get a chance to unplug it myself. It's at a dealer and today he disconnected the radio altogether, and it showed a "dead radio" . without the radio connected, the problem went away.
It's a weird situation.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by af3ten View Post
I didn't get a chance to unplug it myself. It's at a dealer and today he disconnected the radio altogether, and it showed a "dead radio" . without the radio connected, the problem went away.
It's a weird situation.
Yes, it does cause strange things to happen, and if the install wasnt done with care, it could be feeding the bus bad info and freak EVERYTHING out...
We had a vehicle in and could not flash the PCM because the aftermarket radio was there.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You're right, It's freaking everything out.
One of the very first things we checked was the installation of the radio. Apparently, it was done correctly. Then we checked the alignment of the steering wheel to see if that was making the traction lights come on. Then they actually disconnected each of the aftermarket items I had installed. Then they ran tests on every wore, loop, circuit, they could. I can't say they didn't try to see if it was something other than the radio.

I think together with the aftermarket lights, etc. this radio is not a good match.
But, if it's a choice between keeping the radio, and having the stock headlights, I'm switching out the radio and going with the better headlights.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So, after all, it turned out to be a loose ground wire.
So, the aftermarket radio wasn't the issue after all. However, the radio does throw codes, but that's because it's looking for a factory unit to provide updates and other info to.

Thanks for everyone's advice and help..
post #9 of 13 Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

So then am I to understand that I will not be able to install an aftermarket NAV radio in my 2012 without lingering problems? Been looking at the Kenwood DNX9990HD with a PAC C2R-CHY4 interface. Not gonna be very happy if I drop that kind of change only to find out there are continual issues from thrown codes.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Granite Guru

It won't throw anything too outta wack. With that module it interfaces with the canbus and tells it a radio is there..won't be an issue unless you have a factory infinity system and u uninstall the amp..will say no amp found when you flash with obd2
post #11 of 13 Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

I do have the infinity system, but no plans to upgrade the amp in the near future, just the HU (for NAV) and maybe the speakers at some point down the road. But honestly, I'm OK with the sound right now. Main thing is the NAV functions and I love my DNX8120 I have in my truck. NAV has always been spot on and it was a substantial improvement in SQ as well. Bluetooth phone interface has always worked well too. I guess I'm just a Kenwood fan, 'cause I've always preferred their HAM gear as well. Taking a hard look at the Yaesu FTM-10R dual band right now though (but that's for another thread). Thanks for the info. I guess if it were too big of an issue, Quadratec wouldn't be selling kits for the 2012s. Just got spooked by the discussion on this thread.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Granite Guru

As long as your run a can bus interface adapter no codes will be thrown. So upgrade and be marry!! Beer
post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Cool. Thanks!

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode