DIY rock lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

DIY rock lights

So I found these 30mm marine LED lights from oznium... After measuring it turns out they are the perfect size to fit into the two flat spots on the fender support. Having trimmed my fenders some time ago (and a few sets for others since then) it clicked that these might work for rock lights. I did a bit of measuring and the oznium light is 30mm in diameter. Perfect size for the fender supports. So, off we go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here are some pics from the install...
Attached Images

post #3 of 13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here are some pics with my wife's camera. Switch panel was my mounting the 3 daystar switches on the a-pillar. Rewired my Rigid SR-50 to it as well. The pic with the NUCLEAR OR-Fab was with the flash (I put reflective orange tape under it...). There is one pic with the lights on with no flash then a compare of the SR-50 and the rock lights from the same spot. Getting night shots to do the lights justice is hard. There is also too much ambient light in the neighborhood for a good contrast pic.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Rock God

pics of ground illuminated? curious to see how that location works out
post #5 of 13 Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I am not sure I can really get one that does it justice. I am no photographer and we had issues just getting a decent pic where the ambient light did not wash everything out. Let me check with a friend at work tomorrow and see if he can get a good pic sometime. There is some tire shadow but it does a pretty good job since they are angled out properly.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
pics of ground illuminated? curious to see how that location works out
Here ya go. The wife and I were into the wine tonight so they may not be the most "stable" pics around... It was hard to capture how wide the light pattern really is. The "warm" light is from the neighborhood light posts. Was a good bottle of merlot...
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Wheeler

I have been thinking of using those for rock lights. I have a couple wired under the hood and in my storage compartment in the back. They are freaking bright!
post #8 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Granite Guru

I have to say, that looks great. PN for those lights??? If you only were to do one light per front fender, which location would you have chosen?

Thanks,
Brent

Last edited by Brent13; 04-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
I have to say, that looks great. PN for those lights??? If you only were to do one light per front fender, which location would you have chosen?

Thanks,
Brent
I don't have the part number. Just go to the oznium site and look at the marine lights. You cannot miss them. If I were only going one light per fender it would depend. If I had good flood illumination in the front it would be the rear position. If not, the front.

Next up is a Rigid 6 incher in flood patter on the back bumper. The OR Fab rear bumper has two bolts perfect for mounting it...
post #10 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Rock God

http://www.oznium.com/6w-flood

These them? That's kinda high.....

Sent from my iBrick
post #11 of 13 Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackr6 View Post

These them? That's kinda high.....

Sent from my iBrick
Nope. They are
http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light
These list at $18 each if you get 3 or more. I bet the ones you listed are really nice and bright. At that price though, they better install themselves and wash and wax my jeep when done. Oh, and bring me a cold one.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

They are priced better than the ORO ones that I got. I mounted mine lower on the frame by yours look very cool

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I thought about looking for lower mounting points. The problem is trail dmg. I think that the underside of the fender support will be the safest place while still being effective. The spots they are mounted are a bit recessed due to their angle. This angle also works wel as it naturally points the lights outward. It was a very fun DIY project. Now that I am satisfied I will go back and solder the wires and setup a weather proof quick disco for the electrical connections to allow easy removal of the fender support. Sure wish I had replacement supports. Maybe I will see what I can get some for from the dealer... I would love to recut with the rock lights in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode