Need Help! Error Code P0883 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Need Help! Error Code P0883

Error code P0883
TCM Power Input High (as read by my Flashpaq)
Check engine light is on.

Havent been off road in about 2 months. Havent gone through water. Havent made any electrical modifications in the past two years.

I was driving on the road and my horn comes on a steady blast, windshield wipers turn on and winshield washer fluid starts spraying steadily, all at the same time. Everything else functions normal.

I pull over, open the hood, and while it continues to do the things mentioned above, I take the key out. Im looking at the battery and I wiggle the wires superstitiously. Has no effect, then on it's own, the horn starts to sputter like it has a bad connection, and everything stops. Duration was about 2 minutes.

Yesterday I opened the drivers door and the same thing happened before I even got in it, but it lasted about 10 seconds.

What is the TCM? Is that the Traction Control Module? Where is it? Seems like I must have developed a short or a bad ground somewhere?

IDK. Im confused.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock
from the service manual

P0883-TCM POWER INPUT HIGH For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W. Theory of Operation The Transmission Control Output circuit is used to supply power to the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly and to the PCM when in normal operating mode. The purpose of the Transmission Output circuit is to allow the Transmission Control System to turn off the power to the Transmission Solenoid/TRS Assembly in event that the transmission should need to be placed into limp-in mode due to a DTC. After a PCM reset, (ignition switch turned to the run position, or after cranking the engine) the Transmission Control System verifies that the Transmission Output circuit is open by checking for voltage on the Transmission Output circuits before the Transmission Control System request for the circuit to be powered up. The request is sent by a direct circuit control from the PCM to the TIPM. If voltage is detected on the Transmission Output circuits before the request is sent, the DTC will set. When Monitored: When the ignition is turned from "OFF" position to "RUN" position and/or the ignition is turned from "START" position to "RUN" position. Set Condition: This DTC is set if the Powertrain Control Module senses greater than 3.0 volts on the Transmission Control Relay Output circuits prior to a request from the PCM to TIPM to energize the Transmission Output circuits. Possible Causes TIPM DTCS PRESENT (T15) TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE (T16) TRANSMISSION CONTROL OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT VOLTAGE TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE Always perform the 42RLE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) Diagnostic Test 1. CHECK FOR TCM TIPM DTCS With the scan tool under TIPM, check for TCM Power Control circuit DTCs. Are there any TIPM TCM Power Control circuit DTCS present? Yes Refer to the Transmission category and perform the appropriate symptom. No Go To 2 2. CHECK TO SEE IF DTC P0883 IS CURRENT With the scan tool, check the STARTS SINCE SET counter. NOTE: This counter only applies to the last DTC set. Is the STARTS SINCE SET counter set to 0? Yes Go To 3 No Go To 7 3. TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY Turn the ignition off to the lock position. Remove the Transmission Control Relay. NOTE: Check connectors - Clean/repair as necessary. Install a substitute Relay in place of the Transmission Control Relay. Ignition on, engine not running. Does the DTC reset? Yes Go To 4 No Replace the Transmission Control Relay. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) 4. (T16) TRANSMISSION OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE Turn the ignition off to the lock position. Disconnect the PCM C4 harness connector and connect Miller tool #8815. Disconnect the TIPM C2 harness connector. CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform diagnosis. Ignition on, engine not running. Measure the voltage of the (T16) Transmission Control Output circuits in the Miller tool #8815. Is the voltage above 0.5 volts on any (T16) Transmission Control Output circuit? Yes Go To 5 No Go To 6 5. CHECK THE TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSEMBLY Turn the ignition off to the lock position. Disconnect the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly harness connector. Ignition on, engine not running. Measure the voltage of the (T16) Transmission Control Output circuits in the Miller tool #8815. Is the voltage above 0.5 volts? Yes Repair the (T16) Transmission Control Output circuit for a short to voltage. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) No Replace the Transmission Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly per the Service Information. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) 6. CHECK THE (T15) TRANSMISSION CONTROL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE Measure the voltage of the (T15) Transmission Control circuit. Is the voltage above 0.5 volts? Yes Repair the (T15) Transmission Control circuit for a short to voltage. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) No Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace and program the PCM per the Service Information. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) 7. CHECK WIRING AND CONNECTORS The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time. Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit. Wiggle the wires while checking for shorted and open circuits. With the scan tool, check the DTC EVENT DATA to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set. Where there any problems found? Yes Repair as necessary. Perform 42RLE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST (Refer to 21 - TRANSMISSION/TRANSAXLE/AUTOMATIC - 42RLE - STANDARD PROCEDURE) No Test Complete.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
JKowners Vendor

The JK uses the NGC ECM to control both the engine and transmission. Sounds like you may have a TIPM going south. Release the 4 tabs lift it up, check all the connectors and wires for shorts or opens. Check all fuses and relays in the TIPM for loose terminals. Try to scan the TIPM for codes. Jeep offers an updated TIPM for some JK's. Also check the solinoild pack connector at the side of the transmission, good luck.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Me 2

This actually happened to me today and I got the same error code (P0883).
I also got one that was P0890.
I actually do not know much (if anything) about Jeeps so I took it to O'Reilys and they did the diagnostic test on it and got these codes and told me they did not know what they meant just that something was wrong.

If you got yours fixed or fixed it yourself, how did you do it?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Wipers, fluid, and horn with a steady blow?

Hmm. Well, mine hasnt done it in three days. The last time it happened, I opened the hood, gave the TCM/Fuse box a little "percussive mainenance," and it stopped. Then I lifted the whole module up, wiggled the harnesses, and put it back in. Then I disconnected the two body grounds next to the TCM, wiggled them, and reattached them. We'll see if it comes back. Hasnt yet.

I think its just a bad or corroded connection.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
Viair on board air
post #6 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Owl
Wheeler

"percussive maintenance"

gotta remember that...........
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Be careful, it could be an issue with the TIPM. Mine has been in the shop for 5 weeks now. When you have a bad TIPM it does weird electrical things like youre describing. Do an internet search on it. Im not sayting this is your issue, just get yourself informed in case your issue continues and you cant figure it out.
My Rubicon was throwing all kinds of codes to include the one you state.

Last: RUCON - 2008 Rubicon, Silver 4Dr, Auto, RC 2.5" Lift, Superchips, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Schrockworks Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, KC SlimLites, Raptor Lined Fenders/Grill/Bumper/Hardtop
First: RECON - 2008 X, Flame Red 2Dr, 6 Spd, Trailmaster 4.5", 37 MTRs on 17" XD Addicts, Hypertech Programmer, Air Raid CAI, ORFab Front Bumper, KC SlimLites.
US Army (Retired) - Operation Enduring Freedom 2004-2005
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Mine was throwing codes last year left and right but they were different every time. Turned out it was due to a bad Optima Yellow top not having enough cranking amps. Replaced the battery then and havent had an electrical issue until now.

Havent had this particular issue again following the "percussive maintenance" and regrounding.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
Viair on board air
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Rock God

I have these problems. P0890 and p0883 codes now started to come up.

I have searched the web and threads and same thing every time. The thread goes dead. It's like the owner and the jeep fall off the edge of the earth.

Can anyone please give a happy result! I don't want to sink a lot of cash into this problem for not. What is the fix. So far from what I have read people replace the TIPM and I can only assume that's where it ends as there are no more posts.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode