Backup alarms - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Backup alarms

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of these...

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=926

How difficult could it really be to wire it? I'm thinking it'd probably just hang out in the cavity behind the tail light and tap into the reverse light wiring, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-31-2012, 07:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Why ya looking at putting in a back up alarm?

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #3 of 37 Old 03-31-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Because I'm tired of people walking behind me when I'm backing up and I can't see shit out the back with that freakin' 41 up there. Figure I'll at least give them a fair heads up...

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Because I'm tired of people walking behind me when I'm backing up and I can't see shit out the back with that freakin' 41 up there. Figure I'll at least give them a fair heads up...
I think you should hit a dixie horn or something, maybe put a duck call on your baby air-horns and activate it in reverse

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 37 Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

How difficult could it really be to wire it? I'm thinking it'd probably just hang out in the cavity behind the tail light and tap into the reverse light wiring, right?
I'm guessing, but if this is just a standard alarm, then it's one solid tone. You need the electronics to make it beep. Could be wrong but you might want to check with the vendor first.

There's a ton of actual back up alarms on Amazon-dot-com. Just search on "back up alarm".
post #6 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, so I'm gonna do this. Just ordered a cheap back up alarm off Amazon and I want to put a toggle switch on the dash (or thereabouts) to use as a kill switch.

Can someone walk me through this? I think I kind of know what I want to do, but I need reassurance (yeah, I'm high maintenance). I was planning on pulling the power for the alarm from my back up light and running the ground to the switch and then out of the switch to the ground. So, I'd just be interrupting the ground to turn off the alarm. I definitely want this kill switch in there because I'd freakin' kill someone if I have to listen to the backup alarm go off every time I put the bitch in reverse while wheeling.

Also, which wire in the back up light do I tap for the power? I'll need to tap the same wire for the power to my backup camera that I'm going to run to the Superchips TrailDash.

Quote:

post #7 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 06:34 AM
JKO Addict!

I think you should let Darwin handle those folks dumb enough to walk behind a moving vehicle.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #8 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Switching the ground for the alarm/beeper is a good idea, and how I would do it. As far as which wire? I think it's time to learn how to use a multi-meter before you get too much further into your electrical adventures.

Turn the key on, put it in reverse [parking brake applied] and just see which wire back there has voltage applied to it when in reverse; that will be your wire.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #9 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

why not just find your trailer wire connection for your reverse signal?
post #10 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireTrail741 View Post
why not just find your trailer wire connection for your reverse signal?
The most common one on a JK, 4-pin, does not have a reverse output.

post #11 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I should strongly consider one of these

It was like 4-5 am, dark, raining, started backing up and I stalled... at the street = maybe the tranny's slipping?

Start her backup, realllllly give her some gas then I hear the snap, crackle, pop of a Mitsubishi four door sedan. My alcoholic neighbor across the street (theoretically came home drunk) parked at the bottom of my driveway.

I go across the street, pound on the door “hey can you move your car? Your blocking my driveway, I have to go to work…” Dum-Dum moves his car into his driveway and I go to work. He was so drunk he didn’t notice I caved in his windows, doors, etc. (remember it was raining). I called my wife “if they ask, you don’t know anyyyything."

After work, go home, knock on their door, wife answers, he’s not there “I’m sorry about his car, let me know how you want to handle this….” The woman was shaking in fear or relief I don’t know; probably both, figuring her hubby had pulled a hit and run?

Oddly enough my 60 year old alcoholic neighbor recently got a DWI, and now parks in HIS DRIVEWAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I'm surprised no one has gotten their hands on your throat and choked the fucking life out of you yet.
post #12 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Switching the ground for the alarm/beeper is a good idea, and how I would do it. As far as which wire? I think it's time to learn how to use a multi-meter before you get too much further into your electrical adventures.

Turn the key on, put it in reverse [parking brake applied] and just see which wire back there has voltage applied to it when in reverse; that will be your wire.
Depending on the load it draws, small I am sure, you MAY need a relay. I'd try it without first but the TIPM is sensitive to adding extra load on the lights. I wouldn't think this small load would be much of an issue but just a heads up in case you wonder why your lights no longer work at all

You could also use a multi meter on the housing where the reverse bulb plugs in and see where it goes to figure out which wire.

Should be white/grey or white/lt green.
post #13 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Not putting it on my Jeep, but I am about to install this on my wife's car:

http://www.amazon.com/XD-066-Display...ords=autosonar

I think it is a better option than the alarm.

Just my 2 cents...

2010 Rescue Green JKUR
-37” Pit Bulls / Raceline beadlocks
-RJ60 rear / 5.38's / Detroit
-Rubi 44 front / sleeved and trussed / RCV's
-PSC hydro assist / Synergy TR & Drag Link
post #14 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
I think you should let Darwin handle those folks dumb enough to walk behind a moving vehicle.
But Obama won't allow Darwin to do that anymore.
post #15 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerfttam View Post

Just my 2 cents...
Until they are covered in mud or ice. I think they are a great thing on toad driven vehicles. But they'd be prone to early failure on something wheeled.
post #16 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
Until they are covered in mud or ice. I think they are a great thing on toad driven vehicles. But they'd be prone to early failure on something wheeled.
At a whopping $20 for the whole kit, I think I can live with replacing a few sensors now and then...

2010 Rescue Green JKUR
-37” Pit Bulls / Raceline beadlocks
-RJ60 rear / 5.38's / Detroit
-Rubi 44 front / sleeved and trussed / RCV's
-PSC hydro assist / Synergy TR & Drag Link
post #17 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Just my 2 cents...
Eh, the camera and alarm should do the trick. Would a simple test light work to show me which one is getting power?

Quote:

post #18 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper41 View Post
Why ya looking at putting in a back up alarm?
He's just jealous of dumptruckrich.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #19 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

That will work. This might be easier if it fits into the light housing:

http://www.etrailer.com/Lights/Hopkins/HM20101VA.html

Just replace one of the bulbs and done. No wiring needed.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #20 of 37 Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
Bonecollector is going to rake your shins if she hears about you driving on toads.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #21 of 37 Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
That will work. This might be easier if it fits into the light housing:

http://www.etrailer.com/Lights/Hopkins/HM20101VA.html

Just replace one of the bulbs and done. No wiring needed.
Yeah, but I'm guessing a kill switch would be a little harder to wire into that. Maybe not, but I've already ordered the alarm so I'm going this way. I did see those and opted not to go that way.

Quote:

post #22 of 37 Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
At a whopping $20 for the whole kit, I think I can live with replacing a few sensors now and then...
Totally agree, I was hinting at the troubles of putting them on a Jeep that get's wheeled.

The only problem I have with them (in my wife's car and some of my work trucks) is I get used to them, then I get in a work truck that doesn't have them and forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Bonecollector is going to rake your shins if she hears about you driving on toads.
HA!

Quote:
Eh, the camera and alarm should do the trick. Would a simple test light work to show me which one is getting power?
Yes, as long as it's in reverse with the key on. The wire colors I listed should be right, the left hand light just lists white/grey and white/lt green as the two possibilities. You won't have both wires unless they are connected to each other. But I'd still put a test light to it and make sure I had the right wires before cutting.
post #23 of 37 Old 12-01-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Ok, so I've got a question. If I want to run my kill switch to my sPod, would I just run the negative from the alarm to the negative in the sPod controller?

Quote:

post #24 of 37 Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

Negative of what on the spod controller? I'm assuming the SPOD controls the low side of the relays under hood. Then yes, you could run it to the switched side of a low. Depends on the wiring but I'm assuming this alarm is low enough current. Certainly the Carling switches the SPOD runs can handle the alarm, its up to the wiring of the SPOD, that would be your weak point. But again I am assuming this alarm only pulls a couple amps AT MOST, I'd expect it to be in the mA range.

I'd probably hide a toggle under the dash or somewhere and save my SPOD for other things.

I'll see if I can find a SPOD schematic.
post #25 of 37 Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yes, the alarm is a very low draw. The spod is just setup for a +/- off of the part.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode