HIDS (which brand) 2 7.41%
Old school halogens (which brand) 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

help me decide on aux lights

hey guys,

been wanting some aux lights for the windshield, cant decide what I want to go with though. I like the rigid duallys alot and they seem like the best option, but doesnt hurt to look at old school hella halogens either. what do you guys think? cant decide on pattern either, probably would go with a spot as these will probably the only aux lights I go with. Also what brackets are best to go with? thanks in advance!

Mike

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Dually's are the way to go... I've got some D2's on my windshield brackets... love them. They are the driving beam.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Wheeler

I don't have any experience with any of the other lights, but the Rigid LED's are impressive. I have a 10" bar in the flood pattern and it is amazing. I also have two dually's mounted on the back and they throw off an impressive amount of light too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomar View Post
I don't have any experience with any of the other lights, but the Rigid LED's are impressive. I have a 10" bar in the flood pattern and it is amazing. I also have two dually's mounted on the back and they throw off an impressive amount of light too.

Rigid!!

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The Rigids are pretty awesome....but I'm a fan of the old school big-ass housing look. That being said, I have 7" HIDX lamps on HIDX brackets and I love 'em. They're a driving beam, but they illuminate everything for almost a mile. Take a few seconds to fully warm up, but once they do, they're blinding. I ordered mine from Trail Duty, but I think GenRight stocks them, too.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Surprisingly, I have pimped out Rigid for a while and I still very much love my D1 Floods. That being stated, I actually did the unthinkable and removed them from the windshield brackets and replaced them with the Hella 500FF's they originally replaced. I put the D1 floods down on my bumper hoop because the light spread and output is better down lower. As Shortbus said, the Dually housings look strange compared to traditional round aux lights so that was another reason for the move. The Hella's put out a reallllllly long beam that give a ton of distance vision. The D1's light up the area in front of the Jeep really well up to about 50 feet. I will eventually add a spectre SR bar and repurpose the D1's as rear trail floods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

I vote Rigid Daully's. I too have them on my windshield but unlike Chris, mine are spot pattern so they serve me well there. They pack so much light into a small package and draw less power than an HID and Halogen.

I too am going to add a 10" SR series flood on my winch fairlead.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I have 7" Rugged Ridge HID on my bumper and 5" Rugged Ridge HID on my A pillars. I DO NOT recommend them,only had them for 3/4 months and have returned for warranty for bad ballast 3 times and counting. Will def go with Rigid in the future.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Rock God

What is your budget?
I am really happy with my 4" hidx hid and rigid led's
Attached Images

post #10 of 11 Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

^nice setup you got there. I was looking to stay under $200 for a set of lights on the windshield. The duallys seem to have the best bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike
USCG 04-Present
Just another JK on 35's
post #11 of 11 Old 04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

Another thing to consider is how often you will turn them on and off. HIDs like to stay on because they take a bit to warm up. Around here, I seldom can have my aux lights on much more than a mile before I have to turn them off for a car to pass. HIDs just would not have worked for me.

LEDs don't care how often you turn them on and off. But, I have no experience with their light output or pattern, so I can't comment on that.

I went with the LightForce 170s with the combo lenses. They are pricey for a halogen light but are worth it to me. They have survived numerous tree branch impacts. Even in the winter in sub freezing temperatures.

If you are going to run windshield lights, be prepared to keep your hood clean. There is a ton of reflected light off a dusty hood.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode