Firestik antenna length - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Firestik antenna length

Hey guys, need some advice regarding firestik antenna's. I plan to fit one using a dome mount on my spare tire mount but unsure on what length to run with.

I'm not after 20 mile range but looking for decent range for minimal height as I occasionally wheel where overhanging branches are an issue.

So what do you guys suggest would be a minimum height to run to get an acceptable range?

And will 18 feet of coax reach from the antenna to the radio running up the roll bar through to the windshield?

Any help would be appreciated.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM
Rock God

I got a four foot with spring mounted to my ORFAB carrier it flexes really well and haven't had issues with in in the trail

Sent from my iBrick
post #3 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I got a three foot "no ground" mounted to the rear bumper - barely reaches the top of the roof, which most people will say the minimum is over the roofline...

however I have never had an issue where I have not been able to hear someone within a few miles and no problems on the trails...new england trails too.. with lots of trees !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
'merica

I have a 3 footer on a spring no ground and works great with my Cobra 75 WX ST and it is above the roof line. Just remember most radios are line of site so if trees, hills, mountains and distance get involved then you may have trouble; also make sure you find someone with a SWR Meter to make sure its tuned (truck stops usually have radio shops).

U.S. Army

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KJ6OIT
post #5 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks guys, I should've pointed out that I'm posting from OS so if your thinking, why doesn't this fool get off his arse and get down to his local radio shop and have a look for himself, is because am cb's aren't that popular here and anything associated with them is getting harder to find. (Quality components that is ) One company (that I know of) sells the Firestik brand, but are 1700 kms away........

So I'll run the 3 footer mounted on the tire mount. Cool, that's sorted. I've searched around (on fleabay) and noticed numerous mounts that I could use, then I see different connections on the coax, damn! Too many options lol.

Since I'm purchasing from the US and having it shipped over to me, I dont want to be buying the wrong combo.

So I'm looking at the Firestik 11 FS3-B3 or the Firestik FL-3, opinions??

Would the coax with the fire ring be more resistant to corrosion ( eg salt water spray) than the standard screw fitting?
And if so, what base would I use between coax and spring?

Rod

Last edited by Rodjk; 03-24-2012 at 07:23 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

No one willing to help?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96080_11.htm

this is the kit I ran for a while and worked great with LONG range reception! then I switched to a cobra 75....shouldnt have done it.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 04:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The Firestick needs the spring mount to allow it to flex. Otherwise it will snap when making contact with trees. I run a Wilson 4' flexible antennae for this reason.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...b-antenna.html
post #9 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have found that this setup from Cool Tech works well with a medium spring installed - http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_gatemount.shtml I got my SWR readings <1 by turning the adjustment screw on the antenna all of the way down. The medium size spring I got at Radio Shack, and I have seen them in truck stops as well.

Not sure about the corrosion resistance, but the mount is aluminum, and the fire ring seems to have a good amount of protection, but I know that salt air penetrates everything.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon
Currently: Henderson, CO
post #10 of 12 Old 04-28-2012, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for taking the time to reply people, I've been offline for awhile so apologies for the tardy reply....
post #11 of 12 Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
The Firestick needs the spring mount to allow it to flex. Otherwise it will snap when making contact with trees. I run a Wilson 4' flexible antennae for this reason.
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...b-antenna.html
There are multiple types of Firestik. The most popular I think is called the firestik II and needs a spring. There is another one that is 40% lighter, more flexible, and more top wound that is called the "FireFly". The name will have FL in it . Like FL3 or FL4. This one below is on a cooltech ultramount. I don't have one but it is the one I am planning on getting. From what www.rightchannelradios.com says it gets better reception than the wilson flex.
3' Length: 3 to 4 miles vs wilson 2 to 3
4' Length: 4 to 6 miles vs wilson 4 to 4

post #12 of 12 Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks guys, had a good look around www.rightchannelradios.com so I'll get my gear from them. Shame the shipping through USPS will cost around 60 bucks.......Thanks once again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode