Show me where you mounted your CB Radio - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Show me where you mounted your CB Radio

Been looking for a thread like this, but no joy. Lots of antenna mount threads, but very few to see about the radio itself.

I would like to see the various solutions people found for mounting the radio.

On a related note, I was thinking about a magnetic, 2 piece mount. That way I could mount it in the passenger leg space and just pull it out to lock it up, get it out of the way etc.

Anyone ever done that?

I also though about just rigging a sling for the radio that hangs from the passenger oh-sh** handle and has a shoulder strap for taking it with you. With a light plug for power, you can just attach the attenna.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Granite Guru

I mounted it under the driver's seat...

2007 Stone White Rubicon

Last edited by jdrogers; 03-05-2009 at 05:59 PM.
post #3 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like this one because I can stash it when I am not using it. It also doubles as a handheld. Has worked great for me so far. My iPod goes there when not on the trail...

I like the under the seat option,.....

I will most likely go with a full size cobra once I get my Tuffy center console though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How do you like that Midland? I was looking at that and comparing it to the Cobra 75.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #5 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

I mounted mine on the side of the shifter console using the existing bolt. CB on the driver side and 2m on the passenger side.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan View Post
I mounted mine on the side of the shifter console using the existing bolt. CB on the driver side and 2m on the passenger side.
Auto or 6sp?

The reason I ask is that the only installations I have seen like what you mentioned have been on autos... I wonder if there is a reason for that or just a coincidence?

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #7 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
How do you like that Midland? I was looking at that and comparing it to the Cobra 75.
I like it just fine but there are many who don't. Most like the Cobra 75.... I think that N2 is running a 75.

I only use it while on the trail and most of my trails are close enough to have cell service and I don't wheel alone. If I were to ride into the back country or somewhere remote I would have a much better CB with an amplifier just in case. I used a CB to contact one of the pump stations on the Dalton highway in AK when someone was broke down on the side of the road (400+ miles of bad road) - that dude could have froze to death or been someting's lunch.... so I am a big fan of a CB in case you get in a bind.... sorry for the ramble ---> the Midland will be fine until I can get a better one. Gotta get the Tuffy first.
post #8 of 55 Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
...I only use it while on the trail and most of my trails are close enough to have cell service and I don't wheel alone. If I were to ride into the back country or somewhere remote I would have a much better CB with an amplifier just in case....
In my experience a CB is only good for communicating on a trail ride. For reliable communications I have a 2M/70CM rig in my JK. The main unit is behind the driver's side dash and the display is mounted above the mirror.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #9 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Rock God

post #10 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 04:55 AM
Granite Guru

there is a spot under the glove box where the metal frame widens out enough to drill and mount one bolt. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC02245.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC02246.jpg you can just make out the bracket below the glove box here.
post #11 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
there is a spot under the glove box where the metal frame widens out enough to drill and mount one bolt. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC02245.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC02246.jpg you can just make out the bracket below the glove box here.
That looks like a cool spot, but have you had any complaints from passengers? Seems like a small unit would fit nicely there.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #12 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 AM
Granite Guru

This is the way I got my set up done.. This is a ARR mount

This is how NOT to do it...

USAntigoon
post #13 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

I made a bracket that goes between the left front floor bolt on the passenger seat and the screw on the right side of the shifter console. Its sturdy enough to hold a Cobra 29 that barely fits in that space. My wife complained about back when she used it as her daily driver. It's really not in the way. The bracket is made of 1/8" x 1 1/4" steel.
Attached Images

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #14 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Sadly.... I can name most of those radios and scanners. And NO, this isn't mine.

I installed the 75 for space concerns but put the module under the heater unit behind the computer. My big box ham radio is on the drivers side wall above the left foot area. The head is a remote head an dis installed on the ARR bar next to the GPS. The handsets for both are on the instrument tower with the CB on a tab off of the radio and the ham controller hanging off of a plastic hook double stick taped to the passenger side instrument tower and down low to not interfere with the glove box or the passenger.
post #15 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

THI IS MINE

07 JK 4 DOOR X WITH HIGH ROCK FRONT WINCH BUMPER APPROACH ROLLERS/WARN 9.5TI WINCH WITH CUT-OFF SWITCH/2.5" RC SPRING LIFT/HYDRO SHOCKS/1"M.O.R.E BL/1" front leveling pucks/33" BFG KM2 ON STOCK 17"/RIVER RAIDER ROCKER GUARDS-SLIDERS/OFF ROAD HEROS FASTBACK SOFT TOP/GIBSON DUEL EXHAUST/CUSTOM MADE TRUNK/HELLA FF300/HELLA500 W-WINDSHIELD MOUNTS/DELTA SKYBAR/CARBON FIBER DASH KIT/GUAGE PODS WITH VOLT-OIL PRESSURE-OIL TEMP GUAGES/COBRA 75/HIGH LIFT/AND A LOT OF RECOVERY GEAR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.
post #16 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Rock God

I waited till I installed my Sports Cage, then, using it, I put my COBRA over the rearview mirror and made it rotatable 180 deg.

Quote:
JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #17 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Plastic's plastic for me - will get all messed up anyhow, so I just went the lazy route. 3 screws in the plastic header and the frame the CB came with:

!c
post #18 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Granite Guru

No problem from passengers. i have the cobra 3 from walmart. just like the one jkdrone has above.

i rotated my rearview mirror 180 so it sits higher (gives me better vision) and wont allow the radio to mount above it.

even with the doors off, you have to look twice to see it. (mic in the glove box). and if someone steals it (again) i'm only out $30.
post #19 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
No problem from passengers. i have the cobra 3 from walmart. just like the one jkdrone has above.

i rotated my rearview mirror 180 so it sits higher (gives me better vision) and wont allow the radio to mount above it.

even with the doors off, you have to look twice to see it. (mic in the glove box). and if someone steals it (again) i'm only out $30.
I think you have a fine idea.... about the value.

I have a couple of cheapies that work just fine... $25-$30 each. I may just mount it and risk it. If someone steals it, no biggie.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #20 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Auto or 6sp?

The reason I ask is that the only installations I have seen like what you mentioned have been on autos... I wonder if there is a reason for that or just a coincidence?
Mine's an auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
I made a bracket that goes between the left front floor bolt on the passenger seat and the screw on the right side of the shifter console. Its sturdy enough to hold a Cobra 29 that barely fits in that space. My wife complained about back when she used it as her daily driver. It's really not in the way. The bracket is made of 1/8" x 1 1/4" steel.
Mine looks about like about only with a smaller unit and not the floor bracket.

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

post #21 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Granite Guru

Midland 1001z mounted in the center console. I used industrial strength double sided tape to mount it. The coax, power and external speaker wires are run through a hole I cut in the bottom of the console.

Still enough room to store small stuff. I don't really keep anything in there except my ipod when I have it with me.

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #22 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Interesting.... the only downside is having to keep the compartment open when you want to use it.

Anyone know if there is a console type 4-pin mic connector? Run a short jumper from the radio to a conector you put through the side of the console. Then you can connect the handset outside and close the top....

Hmmm... more research needed!

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #23 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Interesting.... the only downside is having to keep the compartment open when you want to use it.

Anyone know if there is a console type 4-pin mic connector? Run a short jumper from the radio to a conector you put through the side of the console. Then you can connect the handset outside and close the top....

Hmmm... more research needed!
If you find one can you post the info. I like the setup inside the center console.

JKOutcast Member
post #24 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONLYSUPER View Post
If you find one can you post the info. I like the setup inside the center console.
How's this?

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idproduct=1243

!c
post #25 of 55 Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdrone View Post
Damn... I love this place!

Thanks!

I think installing the CB in the glovebox would be even cooler with this doohicky....

I even found a replacement panel for the one just under the glovebox... a whopping $14!

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'

Last edited by Preacher; 03-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode