cb antenna - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question cb antenna

I probably already know the answer to this question, but hopefully somebody can verify it for it.

Is there an antenna out there that gets good reception that won't go over the roof the JK?

Reason i ask. My jeep is garaged kept and i barely fit in the garage now. If i have an antenna go over my jeep i'll end up ripping it off by shutting the garage door and I really don't want to take off the antenna and put the antenna on every time i get in/out of the garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Short and good reception don't really go together. There are plenty of stubbies out there that work fine, but you'll have to spend some time setting it up. On my other rigs I would mount the antenna on the front fender or bumper. It still hit the door going in and out but once your in the door doesn't jack with it (unless you back in). If you really want to look funny find a 1/4 wave whip and mount it on the rear bumper; buy the tip holder that attaches to the windshield and bow the antenna forward. It will only rubs and doesn't catch anything.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Not exactly what you asked for but try the Wilson FLEX CB antenna. You can bend it up to 180 deg. and not worry about it breaking. It's made of Fiberglass and about 1/4" thick, like an "ugly stik" fishing rod. I run a 4' antenna it with a Cobra 75 and get a SWR of 1.3-1.4. The antenna sticks out above the roof about 1'.

I have mine installed on my license plate holder and can bend it out of the way to get into a parking garage; even if you forget to move it out of the way, you don't have to worry about it breaking. Also good if you have to valet and don't know where they're going to park your car.

Here it is upright...

Here it is out of the way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

The other option is use a quick disconnect. I allways thought the quick disconnect + the spring was a good idea. Give flexibility on the trail and easy to take on/off with your hands. You can also get the firestik 3ft. It fits in the back of the jeep under the storage cover (always with you and can't be stolen). It fits from sub to the other side and is never noticed. If you don't have sub, you may be able to go longer.

Quick disconnects:
http://www.walcottcb.com/accessories...8_354_446.html

Springs:
http://www.walcottcb.com/accessories...8_354_445.html

Coax:
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-k8...ath=28_355_437

CB:
http://www.walcottcb.com/cobra-75wxs...th=340_377_379

Also, getting a ground can be a challenge. My mount has no grounding, so I ran a wire from the base of the antenna mount to a good ground in the jeep. I have the sub, so I use one of the sub mounting bolts, but there are lots of good ground locations. To attached the ground wire I bought a battery connector from Auto Zone and attached it to the coax threaded head.

Alright, more info than you asked for, but with those 6 items (CB, Coax, mount, quick disconnect, spring, ground wire) you should be go to go.

Hope that helps.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats

Last edited by Ruskin; 03-01-2009 at 06:17 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

I took my antenna mount - I forget the kind it is - and flipped it. It's the mount that attaches to your rear tire carrier and is designed to go on the upper right hand bolt (2:00 position). I flipped it upside down and attached it to the lower left hand position (7:00 position). So now my antenna sits about 6" above my roofline (thereabouts).

It's a 4' firestick btw. Get the 3' firestick and you're golden. Hell, you only need reception for about a mile or so anyways - right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode