light flickering on dash - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 76 Old 12-18-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerray View Post
I created a profile so I could log in and say this happened to my Wrangler this morning on the way to work. Looking for any answers. I'll disconnect my battery when I get home, but that all I've seen to try so far...and no explanation for why it occurs.

Mine is a bone stock 2009 model that I've had since new.

From what I gathered from the manual, the red dot is the sentry light, which is the alarm system. I don't know if that is for the key fob itself (dying battery?) or some other issue altogether.

Mine has been coming on with the TPMS light and flashing in sync for the past few months, except today. Today the were both flashing but out of sync. I tried to count the blinks of each light (maybe so many blinks mean something?) but couldn't because I was at a light.

I also have had the issue where the jeep wouldn't start right away and I would have to take out the key, put it back in and try to start it again.

Mine is an '08 and the only electrical mods I have right now are a cb and winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 76 Old 01-07-2016, 08:21 AM

I have an 08 JKU with 126k. I bought it late 2007. Almost stock. Remote Key Entry, electric windows/locks, etc. I installed a Winch and CB.

I just found this thread. Same issue TPMS and Sentry Light blinking randomly.

I have replaced:
All 5 TPMS,
Both Keys
Wireless Control Module (WCM).
Computer Flashed
Disconnected the Winch
Disconnected the CB

No relief.

I did learn the 20A fuse in position M13 (under the hood) can be used to rest the WCM. It will also reset the clock on the radio. So, there is some association between the two units.

With input from this thread talking about Heat(er) potentially being an issue and considering the connection of the radio to the WCM, I am wondering if there is an issue in the radio (a short of something), prompted by heat causing the issue.

BTW> I have also talked with my Jeep Dealer about this and had them perform some of the work above. They have no clue.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this thread. I have a few more things to try. Hopefully, we can figure this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 76 Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Seems to only come on with the heater on full blast here. Who knows. Its nolonger flashing like a short but now flashes with normal intervals

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 76 Old 02-14-2016, 10:25 AM
JKowners Vendor

Well it's showing its ugly head again. Off and on the past 6 months sometimes I would go to start the jeep and the engine shuts done after a few seconds, and the red security light is blinking and usually after some swearing and pulling the battery out for the key or disconnecting the battery from the jeep it will eventually start. Not anymore the jeep isn't recognizing the key at all now and I think it's gonna have to get towed to the stealership this week. I was able to run a code check and got p0513 incorrect immobilizer key jeep. I don't have another key to try but either the key is not transmitting the code back to the jeep or the WCM I think. Battery voltage looks good and I replaced the battery on the fob and still nothing. I left the battery unplugged from the jeep for about 20 min and still no change. I wish there was a way to disable the stupid thing

Last edited by bigworm36; 02-14-2016 at 10:27 AM.
post #55 of 76 Old 03-15-2016, 05:43 AM

low tire and security light flashing

hey all... had same problem. only with one set of keys. i changed battery in that set. went away. wanted to post because i see it all over web. no need to go to dealer. best of luck
post #56 of 76 Old 03-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Rock God

To the top! I have my tpms disabled so I just get the blinking red light. Also, it only seems to happen when the heater is on full blast.
post #57 of 76 Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone get any resolution on this? Mine has randomly started coming on/ flashing while driving. It seems to activate when going over bumps. I have a 2010 unlimited manual. Doesn't seem to affect anything but its super annoying.

2010 Surf Blue Unlimited

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #58 of 76 Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 PM

I'm joining the club 2013 manual transmission. Noticed while driving down the road. Mine has never came on before and it's blinking.
post #59 of 76 Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 PM

I'm seeing the same thing on my 2009. Flickers intermittently over bumps.
Also experiencing it popping out of first as you begin moving. Feels like you were rammed in the back. The red light seemed to have started to appear after the first time it popped
post #60 of 76 Old 10-10-2016, 09:25 AM

update from TeamKings

I have not seen this issue all summer. Now that the weather is getting cooler, I bet it comes back. I work with electronics circuit design. I would like to see a full schematic of the wiring on the Jeep. I've seen a couple of references to the heater blower on high when this happens. That makes me think it is a poor connection of the ground, or a main power wire to the dash, that is also feeding the heater / blower.

OR I suppose it could be the heat itself. If some connection or component in the dash display is getting too hot, it could show an issue.

Electronics talk here: I wonder if there is a CAN node in the dash display? (autos' computers send signals / data around the vehicle on a CAN communications network. If there is one of these processor nodes controlling the lights on the dash, and if it is getting too hot - there could be outputs turning on (the dash lamps) randomly for no apparent reason. Of course a bad ground or power connection could do the same to the CAN node. Need to test this winter with heater blower on high, but temp set to cold. But thinking out loud now, haven't I done that with the AC on this summer? and no problems....
post #61 of 76 Old 01-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Rock God

thats what i was thinking, maybe heat was triggering this to happen. mine does it more and more now.... how can no one know what this is, not even the dealer?

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #62 of 76 Old 01-06-2017, 06:09 PM

I don't believe it's heat/heater. 08 Auto, manual locks. I recently replaced the stock radio with an Android head unit.

I know I have a couple of bad TPMS sensors (maybe all by now). Once ambient air drops roughly below freezing, this will happen after about 30 to 40 minutes of driving. The TPMS light will extinguish and the red light will come on folliwed by 4 chimes (once for each sensor) and the TPMS light will come back on and the red light will go out. Once it starts, it will repeat itself several times (not sure how many).

To test the heat theory, i drove with minimal heat and fan at maybe half speed while ambient was about 25. No difference.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #63 of 76 Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
I don't believe it's heat/heater. 08 Auto, manual locks. I recently replaced the stock radio with an Android head unit.

I know I have a couple of bad TPMS sensors (maybe all by now). Once ambient air drops roughly below freezing, this will happen after about 30 to 40 minutes of driving. The TPMS light will extinguish and the red light will come on folliwed by 4 chimes (once for each sensor) and the TPMS light will come back on and the red light will go out. Once it starts, it will repeat itself several times (not sure how many).

To test the heat theory, i drove with minimal heat and fan at maybe half speed while ambient was about 25. No difference.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
whats happening to you is totally different than what is happening to me and a few of us others. I have my tpms disabled through my bully dog GT tuner, so thats not my issue.

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

post #64 of 76 Old 01-07-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
whats happening to you is totally different than what is happening to me and a few of us others. I have my tpms disabled through my bully dog GT tuner, so thats not my issue.
Okay, to clarify...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
Ok here's my info, 2008 JKU bought new in 2008. Mine is a soft top full door version with manual everything, no alarm or key fob or nothing. I drove it stock till the 36,000 was reached. Swapped wheels and tires but not the tpms sensors, that's when my tpms light came on and every so often while driving I get a chime followed by the tpms light and that red light alternating blinking for a few minutes with multiple chimes and then it goes off for a while. Shutting the rig down does stop the sequence but it will always come back eventually. No codes, and I only get the red light with the tpms system reminding me it's not reading any sensors so I know the red light is solely related to the tpms system on my rig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony2241 View Post
Well I suspect I know a whole lot less than many here but I do know this, I swapped the stock 16's for the 17's on my 09 JK, after a while the "tire" light came on and stayed on, no big deal, pressures are at 32 or 33...annoying but not a deal killer.

then..

this week all of a sudden the dash dinging takes over, then I get this LOW TIRE warning AND the RED security light starts flashing. SO, I do what every typical man does, jump out and check the tires. nahh..each hard as a rock. Then I drive away and the alarm goes off as well as the RED light....then it comes back on. Then off, then on, then off , then on...I feel like I'm on Candid Camera...

I put all the pressures up to about 40..the TIRE light stays on even after 10 minutes or miles, but I have not seen the LOW TIRE alarm or RED security light which in my mind are connected at the hip.

So, being the man I am , I ordered the Superchips 3570 FlashCal and will deal with this crazy TPMS system in very short order.

Somehow there is just something fundamentally wrong with driving down the road with 4 good, no, make that GREAT tires ( less than 5k miles) and your vehicle is telling you that you have a flat !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKings View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. I bought a 2008 2 door Rubicon about 6 months ago, and it is starting to have similar issues.

While driving at 65 to 75 MPH, night time, heater on, the red LED above the temp gauge comes on, and the low tire lamp comes on, and the transmission indicator (PRND below tachometer) gets very bright, for just a few seconds, then all goes back to normal. This happened about 4 times in 15 miles, after the Jeep warmed up.

My Jeep is all stock as far as I can tell. It does have just about all options except leather and heated seats. Has power windows / locks / remote start / alarm / factory 730N radio, automatic trans. and around 63K miles.

I'll try to do some more testing and get more information, but I have to think Jeep / Chrysler / Fiat must know about this by now since so many people are having similar issues.

I tried to video it tonight after it did it 4 times, but of course it did not do it again before I got to my exit.
These experiences echo mine.

If the TPMS is disabled via a tuner, does it truly take it out of the equation? I don't know the canbus interfacing between the modules or the programming, but I'm guessing it just prevents the low pressure light from illuminating by injecting a value in the stream. I doubt it would remove it from the system as that would require the code to be recompiled. Since no one knows WHAT the source of the problem is, I'm not ready to rule out the TPMS.

I just thought I'd add my experiences. If I didn't have the low warning light, the red light would indeed mimic what I've seen posted about the "flicker" and steady on states. Just my .02.
post #65 of 76 Old 02-08-2017, 12:24 PM

I've had this same issue happening to me for a few years. I read once before that it had to do with the chip in the key going bad. I had this issue when I had stock wheels on it, now I have aftermarket wheels and I don't have the TPMS connected but it was doing the same thing before. I did notice that if if it's been doing it for a while and I jiggle my key while it's in the ignition it stops for a while but always manages to come back. It's pressure light, red light, dings, lights go out, then TPMS comes back on (which I would expect since it's not connected). I was considering getting my TPMS connected again but after reading this thread, I don't know that it would help.
post #66 of 76 Old 06-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Red Light above Temp Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishphacurr View Post
Curious if any of you guys are also seeing an issue with your Jeep occasionally NOT cranking up? Because I have this issue you all are describing in this thread AND also have an issue with my 2008 JK not cranking at times. Already replaced the battery, and was looking into a new starter.... but I *think* my no start issue will be corrected after replacing the Wireless Control Module and Electric Steering Column Lock per Technical Service Bulletin 08-007-08 REV A. that I've come across this am. I'm also hoping that replacing these parts will also get rid of this annoying issue described in this thread 8-)
I have an 07 two door manual everything except trans (thats and automatic). Bought it nearly three years ago..... the last two weeks, i have had difficulty cranking the engine. and the light seems to come on quite a bit more while driving.
Like A LOT!!!!! Were you able to find anything out? You were the only person to mention the cranking issue in this thread.
post #67 of 76 Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM

Hi everybody, just bought a 2017 jeep wrangler sport. Driving it today I noticed a small red light blinking. Its above the temp gauge. Anybody have a clue what it means? Mind you it's 90 degrees out today.
post #68 of 76 Old 06-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorette Vuolo Connelly View Post
Hi everybody, just bought a 2017 jeep wrangler sport. Driving it today I noticed a small red light blinking. Its above the temp gauge. Anybody have a clue what it means? Mind you it's 90 degrees out today.

Is your engine temp ok?

I am a newer JK owner, but I think that the ref light above the temp gauge is a security light. Mine blinks when the alarm is set.

Are you having any alarm/key issues?

If it's a new 2017 then it might be a good idea to have the dealer look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #69 of 76 Old 07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Like TonyB's post above.

Check your engine ground wire. Especially above the catalytic converter on the passenger side. Look for heavy corrosion and broken strands.

Then double check the body and battery grounds.

Last edited by rudycon; 07-06-2017 at 11:04 AM.
post #70 of 76 Old 07-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Rock God

Ok folks, I might have the fix! I was told to try this...

"A dealership told me to turn off the jeep, put the keys in the driver door, and manually unlock and lock the doors using the switch, multiple times. Eventually it won't lock or unlock any more, then put the key in the ignition and start your jeep... and supposedly fixes the problem. Been 2 months and haven't seen it yet."

This was on Facebook about the same issue. If my alternator wasn't dead, I would try it and let you folks know if it worked!

Last edited by Monster Jk; 07-13-2017 at 08:44 PM.
post #71 of 76 Old 12-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Hi I have a Wrangler 2007 manual no electric window or door... it's happen to mee : Red security light come on while driving when heater is on... on floor position... I notice it from the last years ... the light only appear when i need to use de heater so in winter time... anybody have fix the problem? And if I cut the heater and feeling cold on my foot light goes off... but I don't know what if i don't stop the heater would my jeep shot off? Sorry for my english it's not my first language!!! Thx to helping Me
post #72 of 76 Old 12-28-2017, 04:27 PM

Talking Problem SOLVED

I had this issue for two years. I had the same assumptions of the heat, radio grounding, LED fog lamps, Cold weather, and even RF interference. Finally I saw someone post it cleared after getting their clock-spring replaced for the airbag system recall.

Well I went in for my recall this week. The light became consistently annoying along with the "Low tire" and TPMS indicator prior to bringing my jeep in. After the replacement of the clock-spring I have not had a single issue.

SOLVED
post #73 of 76 Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM

This was on a 2010 JKU. No power options. I'm not going to register on other sites. Please pass this information on.
post #74 of 76 Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg58.308 View Post
I had this issue for two years. I had the same assumptions of the heat, radio grounding, LED fog lamps, Cold weather, and even RF interference. Finally I saw someone post it cleared after getting their clock-spring replaced for the airbag system recall.

Well I went in for my recall this week. The light became consistently annoying along with the "Low tire" and TPMS indicator prior to bringing my jeep in. After the replacement of the clock-spring I have not had a single issue.

SOLVED
So Iím gonna go ahead and say no, itís not solved. I just had my clock spring replaced under warranty and now it still does it.... so itís still not solved.

post #75 of 76 Old 10-18-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycon View Post
Like TonyB's post above.

Check your engine ground wire. Especially above the catalytic converter on the passenger side. Look for heavy corrosion and broken strands.

Then double check the body and battery grounds.
Another Case here of the randomly flashing red dot above the temperature gauge.

I know someone else mentioned it here but I do recall that light possibly being used as a transmission overheating light with a recall. I'd take it with a grain of salt at this point.

In the last two years I have had a number of emmisions issues resulting in new catalytic converters, new 02 sensors, and subsequent running of a new ground wire for at least two and the turn signal lamps in the fenders. Recently (within a few hundred to 1000) miles my trouble code lit up again showing 02 sensor issues. Additionally the red light has been increasingly active especially at idle/coasting and when stopped.

I have ground issues in mine that the dealer has chosen to bandaid by running new grounds.

It seems the following needs to be checked:
1. Battery connections
2. Battery
3. Alternator
4. Corroded ground connections

I'll pay attention to heat sensitivity with fan on/off.

Any other thoughts?

All these issues that have recently come up are starting to make me question why I continue to hold onto it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode