XM & Serious going tits up - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

XM & Serious going tits up

X-M and Serious radio are in bankruptcy talks. My free year just passed. Glad I didn't sign a new contract this month. Do not renew, they will swallow your money.

POG MO THOIN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Rock God

They won’t be going any place. The only reason they are in trouble is that it cost so much to get started. If the banks would actually loan money they would be fine. They have like 40,000,000 subscribers paying 12 bucks a month or more. Ok let’s see 40,000,000 x $12 = $480,000,000 x 12 months = $5,760,000,000.
If they can’t get a loan they will “reorganize” or someone with deep pockets will buy them. Or lets not forget the government might bail them out. Oh wait that won’t happen they don’t like Howard Stern. I mean the gov has been investigating him for years instead of doing the job they were supposed to do. Like stop investment scams, stop greedy banker from screwing the people and checking to see that these same bankers who beg for the bailout cash so they can buy bigger houses for themselves and not put the money back into the economy like they were supposed to do.
Well it looks like I went a little off topic but oh well.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Garage

Yeah.. they may be hurting... but they aren't going anywhere...

How do you reposes a friken Satellite!!

°lllll°

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook Page
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

If I recall, it is only the Sirius side of the corporate structure that is in this mess. It sounds like the guy who funded a lot of their activities (or at least backed them), will be the one to scoop up the stock at a discounted price. He will put money back into the company and will have a majority share.

The XM side isn't as bad off. They spent a good portion of their money on the technology side of things, like satellites and terrestrial repeaters....whereas Sirius spent all their money on Howard Stern and other personalities that did nothing to bolster their performance or their subscriber base.
Now that the two have merged, I think they are struggling to find a happy medium with which to make back some of the money that has been spent to create the large parent company.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

post #5 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well.... I'm not giving them any money. That would be just foolish. My gym membership is coming up too and I'm going to go month to month on that because the place is starting to look like a grave yard anymore. People are cutting back on these type of things and these places are going to go out of business soon. Don't kid your self, it's alot worse than you think.

POG MO THOIN
post #6 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDailey4 View Post
Well.... I'm not giving them any money. That would be just foolish. My gym membership is coming up too and I'm going to go month to month on that because the place is starting to look like a grave yard anymore. People are cutting back on these type of things and these places are going to go out of business soon. Don't kid your self, it's alot worse than you think.
So I am suppose to stop doing things because "It is alot worse than you think".

Sorry... that dog doesn't hunt with me.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #7 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

There's an old saying that goes like this..... 'A fool and his money are soon parted'.

POG MO THOIN
post #8 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Banned

I have no problem w/ giving my money to sirius. As long as they keep channel 32, the grateful dead channel - we're getting along just fine. A gamble I'm more than willing to take.

Terrestrial radio is the dying breed. Satellite radio is in its infancy and if XM/sirius fail, they will be gobbled up (at a bargain) and continue operations as is. Hitch your cart to terrestrial if you want - I dont dig commercials myself.

post #9 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
There's an old saying that goes like this..... 'A fool and his money are soon parted'.
Hmmmm ... Im 38 and have money and been making the same decisions I've always made... I guess if I did it your way I would be a gajillionaire!!!!!!

Wow... i'm so dumb. Where were you and this golden advice 20 years ago!!!!!

Gah!!!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #10 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:18 PM

now children !
post #11 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

There's another old saying by Scarlet Ohara: "I'll worry about that tomorrow."

post #12 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
So what you are saying is that we should stop spending money and save it all??? I think that will do more harm than good. This is why the economy is hurting. Lets say I do what you are saying and don’t buy anything, the store I was going to buy from wont make any money so they have to lay people off. Well those people don’t have any money so they can’t spend any. Now that store has to lay off more and so on and so on. Those who have money now need to keep going with the day to day life and things will get better.
Including satellite radio, it is far better than old fashion radio.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophvytoy View Post
now children !
Its all good mom.. sometimes we play rough in this sand box, but we always have each others back when the sand hits the fan.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i also think its not going anywhere, even if they go belly up someone else will buy them and keep it goin. ive had sattelitte since it came out, first i had xm then switched to sirius and i dont think i can live without it, and now i get it for free thru my job so its even better, but i wouldnt hesitate to pay for it agsin if i had to.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #15 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
lbh
Rock God

after the crappy customer service I just recived this week, I would LOVE to see them collapse!

2007 JK
post #16 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I have no problem w/ giving my money to sirius. As long as they keep channel 32, the grateful dead channel - we're getting along just fine. A gamble I'm more than willing to take.

Terrestrial radio is the dying breed. Satellite radio is in its infancy and if XM/sirius fail, they will be gobbled up (at a bargain) and continue operations as is. Hitch your cart to terrestrial if you want - I dont dig commercials myself.

I don't think free radio will go away, if you can't get a signal inside a building then the radio is worthless. Even then, if it does start to go the way of the Dodo, commercials will move to XM and all will be lost. A lot of people said the same thing when cable and Satellite TV started up. They forced old school TV to go digital and now they've moved the transition date because the Gov't couldn't keep up with the coupon request. Sounds like there is a lot of people out there that still watch free TV.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Wink

Nobama will save them......

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #18 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Banned

Oh I dont think it'll go away. Never said that. I said it's a dying breed. There will always be some sad state terrestrial garbage out there, but the mainstream is going to go satellite. Just makes sense.

Hell, there are people out there loving every second of their black and white TV w/ rabbit ears, snow, and big dopey dial you spin on the front of it.

As far as commericals go - I think it'll be pay for play in the future. You pay, they dont play the commercials. We'll see. Either way, I completely dig not having to listen to car lot, lawyer, and every other kind of commercials every 10-15 minutes. Not to mention the illusion of variety in talk shows - 2 radio bands owned by the same 2-3 corporations - spouting their political agenda over and over. Blech.

Who knows which direction satellite radio will go re: pay vs. programming. I remember 15 years ago everyone was paying $19.95 a month to get onto aol and spending an hour listening to busy signals to do it. 3 years before that they were paying $2.95/hr to chat! Now? It's free. Technology moves fast.

I literally have never turned on my FM or AM dials since I got the Jeep. And I was a commuting radio junkie before.

Last edited by karnuvore; 02-12-2009 at 10:13 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
You don't. You just bash an old Russian satellite into it.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #20 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Rock God

I didn't even know my jeep had a radio. When I saw the locker and sway bar switch, I guess I stopped looking at stuff. Once I cut the muffler off for that little bit of extra low end Horsepower I probably cant here it anyway. But I guess I have to agree that sirius is probably not going anywhere. They make take a hit like everyone else but they will bounce back I am sure.
post #21 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 06:21 AM
Granite Guru

Last I read yesterday Sirius/XM was in talks with DirecTV to help them out, DirecTV would just have TV and Radio divisions which I think would be beneficial to both parties...

'07 Stone White X 2-Dr

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity"
post #22 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post

Government could sent the space shuttle up there and repo them
post #23 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
I literally have never turned on my FM or AM dials since I got the Jeep. And I was a commuting radio junkie before.
I have one AM station programmed (local talk radio) no FM stations programmed. I’d miss satellite radio if it went away, it’s awesome on long drives in the middle of nowhere out here in the West.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

I will keep paying as long as they keep me from having to listen to the craptacular stations that traditional radio has to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode