Tire Preassure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-09-2009, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Tire Preassure

As a new member

I am trying to understand the pressure that I need to put in the tires.

The car has BF Goodrich A/T

with 265/17/70

The manufacturer gives 36PSI 2.5Bar

The car feels quite rough with this.

I am now using 31PSI 2.1

Can you recomend the correct tire pressure

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Wheeler

Draw a line all the way across the tire with a white crayon. Drive down a smooth flat road for a couple of miles. Get out and look at the line. When the line is wearing evenly across the whole tire your at your approximate optimum air pressure for tire wear.

If you go any higher you will get a rougher ride, better steering response, wear out the center of the tire faster and get better gas mileage...if you go any lower you will get a smoother ride, mushier ride (less steering response), wear out the edge of your tire faster and get worse gas mileage.

It may take some time to do it this way but then you will know. From the factory they take a lot of variables into account, steering responsiveness, tire wear out, gas mileage, etc. when setting the recommended pressure.

You obviously give some things up and get some things when you raise and lower the pressure. The 37" tires on my 4 dr JK are set at 24 psi after doing the test. They are wearing evenly across after 15,000 miles but I'm sure I could get better mileage if I bumped it up.

I am not an expert in this area (I sold tires for 9 years and am a mechanical engineer so I consider myself at least knowledgeable :-) but have found this method to work quite well through the years and do it on every new vehicle I purchase and every time I buy new tires for a vehicle (all tires are different).

Medsker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode