e-disco failure - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

e-disco failure

any body have to replace their e-disco yet. Mine quit working on my 07 at 27,000 mi. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it. They also said that the cause of the failure was water and mud getting into the unit and shorting it out. I do not put it in the mud very often so I was thinking WTF OVER. I guess after the warranty is out, if it goes bad again, i will get manuals. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 06:29 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I have heard of some failures in the past. Even some that failed for no apparent reason. On the other hand, mine refuses to die and I have used it as a jackstand and the wiring connector as a skid plate.

I too will go to manual disconnects once my push button units gives up the ghost. It is very convienent but doesn't allow enough travel for my suspension as I am always ripping the connecting rods off of the front axle.
post #3 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Yeah somthing is up with mine the damn light flashes all the time. I might just remove it and run a currie or teraflex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

#1, Unplug it (at the disconnect mechanizim) then plug it back in. See if that doesn't fix it.

#2, Alternativly I have seen putting the transfer case in 4wd and drive for a bit then turn the disconnect on and off. Once it is off, put the transfer case back into 2wd. (all on limited traction surface of course)

#3, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. Should reset the brain and might stop the blinking once you drive a bit.

#4, I have seen this end up resulting in a complete replacement of the e-disco. Under Warranty from the dealer.
post #5 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Dealer wont do anything on my jeep since I have used it off road. I also flipped the disco motor so it probably got water in it.

|
|
post #6 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Find another dealer.

I wheel with the owner of our local dealership. I never have had a problem bringing mine in for factory service. And mine is slightly modified and has been on a dirt road or two.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i went thru multiple e discos and ended up just going with the currie and we dont get a wholelot of rain or mud here in socal

www.jeepasylum.com
post #8 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine has crapped out twice. I remove the connector at the motor, clean and reconnect and it starts working again. I'm not sure I'm cleaning much as the inside of the connector looks pristine each time. I will go to a standard swaybar when this happens a couple more times!
post #9 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Pull the connector apart and clean it up all nice and pretty.....

Then smoother it in axle grease and stick it back together. That will keep a lot of dirt and water out of the connection.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 02:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i had to replace the plug on mine and it fixed it, but only once so far

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #11 of 30 Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Cleaned it, lubed it, beat it, still lit up

|
|
post #12 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

The dealer should replace it if its still under warranty. I know some of you gents have had problems with warranty coverage but we need to fight with them. My dealer told me that the trail rated badge says that for a reason. So if they will not replace it if its under warranty just because you took it offroad, give em hell TEXAS. He also told me that as long as a mod does not affect the failed part it will be warrantied. ie. If you are running 37" tire, they will not warranty the bearings or axles, But everything not directly related to the oversize tires is still under warranty. When I first took mine in, the desk weenie told me that because i had a 2 1/2" lift, no warranty. I just told him to get me the owner. Problem solved.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Cleaned it, lubed it, beat it, still lit up
Did you try all the other steps outlined above? If so and the light is still coming on, then yes there is a problem with the disco and you will have to replace it. Then clean and lube it up.

Also note that there is sensors in the positioning of the arms on the connecting rod from the disco to the axle. I say this because everytime I have ripped the swaybar rod off of the axle it would fault the on board computers and depending on the angle of the twist even put the JK into limp mode once. So if you have rotated the disco, maybe try to put the arms into what would have been the stock position, disconnect the battery then reconnect. This fixed my limp mode issues steming from the disco being free from the axle.

This pretty much expires my knowledge on the disco. Hope it works!
post #14 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Did you try all the other steps outlined above? If so and the light is still coming on, then yes there is a problem with the disco and you will have to replace it. Then clean and lube it up.

Also note that there is sensors in the positioning of the arms on the connecting rod from the disco to the axle. I say this because everytime I have ripped the swaybar rod off of the axle it would fault the on board computers and depending on the angle of the twist even put the JK into limp mode once. So if you have rotated the disco, maybe try to put the arms intowhat would have been the stock position, disconnect the battery then reconnect. This fixed my limp mode issues steming from the disco being free from the axle.

This pretty much expires my knowledge on the disco. Hope it works!

All aside from trying another dealer. The light would stay off for a few minutes and then come back on. When I did get it to turn off I put it in 4w and disconnected it the reconnected it and the light started the flashing again. I appreciate the help, but I think it has crapped out. Time for some antirocks. Phil, oh Phil, I have another order for ya.

|
|
post #15 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

The AntiRocks are a better option, anyway.

Sorry I couldn't help.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Antirocks & procal module. The procal will turn off the dash light when you've removed the e-disco bar!
post #17 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
The AntiRocks are a better option, anyway.

Sorry I couldn't help.
No, you did help and I appreciate you taking the time you did.

|
|
post #18 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Antirocks & procal module. The procal will turn off the dash light when you've removed the e-disco bar!
Already got the procal

|
|
post #19 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Granite Guru

Mine died the second time I had it offroad. Szott Jeep in Michigan replaced the whole unit without giving me any grief. - I've had no problems since and that was over a year ago.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #20 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For you guy that are have some good help with greasing the connector. Some grease has graphite, which is conductive. Try picking up some DC-4 (Dow Corning #4) or sparkplug silicone lube. It is non conductive and is designed to work on connectors. Just some info. Now that I've heard this I'm going to be sure to keep the connector lubed up.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #21 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

I used dielectric grease

|
|
post #22 of 30 Old 02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I used dielectric grease

Thats the word I was looking for, I knew there was a generic term for it. I have tubes of the stuff all over the place, we stuff cannon plugs that are exposed to the elements with it.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #23 of 30 Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM
HDC
Wheeler

Does the lifetime drivetrain warranty exclude the Rubi lockers? Might be moot as the OP has an 07 and I'm not sure when Chrysler started that warranty.

Edit: Duh, this is about the swaybar. Still I wonder if that is covered in the lifetime drivetrain warranty. Probably not.
post #24 of 30 Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by reviving this thread but this e-disco problem hit me this week end after some rock crawling in my 07 rubi. The e-disco would not reconnect after getting back to the highway. The 'Sway Bar' light would continue flashing. It continued flashing whether I tried to go back to disconnect or re-connect (I lost track of which I was trying to do since the switch is a toggle-on/toggle-off). I tried removing and re-attaching the connector several times (it looks clean). I checked the 30 amp fuse (it's good). I tried disconnecting the sway bar links manually and worked the sway bar halves to get it to reconnect, to no avail. It was not until today when I found this thread that I tried going back into 4-Lo to try to re-connect. It will still not re-connect but now I can hear a click or whatever and the light goes 'on' steady, indicating a disconnect state. This will happen consistently, but will still not re-connect (light flashes and it is definitely disconnected). I then disconnected the battery for 10 or 15 minutes and that made no difference.
So I have to assume that the unit is bad but I am wondering what goes bad. Is there a shear pin or shear bar or something that is an easy fix? I am looking for a diagram or repair manual now to help me with this. I will go to the dealer for warranty replacement (hopefully) but I really want to understand what is happening here.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

stick look about half way down the page, starts with HOLY CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode