Got Rid of the DARN Door Chime with Chime Buster - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Talking Got Rid of the DARN Door Chime with Chime Buster

I hate door chimes. I hate opening my Jeep door and having the chime blare. I hate trying to listen to the radio while woking on the Jeep and having the door chime drown out the tunes. I hate nannys.

I asked the Jeep dealer to use their computer programming and turn the damn thing off, some lil service managerette told me that they couldnt as "it is a safety issue". Safety issue my butt!! As much as the current corrupt regime in DC would want it, I dont need no nanny. I didnt want to destroy the buzzer cuz it probably shares some other electronic stuff that would mess up dash warning lights etc, so I looked to Australia for help.

Enter the DTec Chime Buster.

DTec sent their Chime Buster to me complete with simple installation instructions.

To install all you need is to access the wiring under the fusebox along with wire cutters, knife, tape, and a soldering iron and some solder. I guess one could install the Chime Buster without soldering the connections, but why?

Follow the instructions and find the correct connector and wire.

Cut and splice in the wires of the Chime Buster.

Get some power, as per instructions.

Tape it up..

Secure the wiring harness as it was before you started messing with it and secure the Chime Buster so when you close the fuse box back up everthing fits nicely.

Its a simple modification and well worth it. The Chime Buster is able to 'learn' different chime setting but I chose to leave it in its default setting of allowing the door chime to chime for 5 seconds then shutting it off. I figured even tho I dont need a chime indicating the key is in the ignition maybe some Jeep mechanic or some friend accessing my Jeep might. I can live with a 5 second chime.

*Disclaimer. I have no interest in Chime Buster, or DTec, financial or otherwise. I am just a satisfied customer and which to pass on my experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the heads up.

Just an FYI about soldering the wires. I completely agree they should be soldered. I found an excellent connector at Home Depot when I lengthened the wires for my Harley handlebars.

It looks like a crimp butt connector but you put both ends of the wire into it and hit it with a heat gun. It solders the wires together and heat shrinks the wires all in one step.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Just use a key , finger, or screwdriver to shut the latch on the open door.

Remember to operate the handle before closing the door.

Fast n free!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hrmm. I'm pretty interested in this. Might have to give it a shot.

Thanks for the lead

post #5 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Just use a key , finger, or screwdriver to shut the latch on the open door.

Remember to operate the handle before closing the door.

Fast n free!
Yep, been there done that. It can be a hassle for someone like me that basically never takes the keys out of the ignition. Now with the Chime Buster I dont have to carry a screwdriver to stick in the latch or get my finder greazzy prying the latch. I can now hop out and open gates, grab something form the back, whatever, and not listen to a stupid chime.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds fine. Are you related to the company at all? Most first threads aren't that good at such detailed information like that. Just wondering..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Sounds fine. Are you related to the company at all?
Incase anyone missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangoman View Post
*Disclaimer. I have no interest in Chime Buster, or DTec, financial or otherwise. I am just a satisfied customer and which to pass on my experience.

Quote:
Most first threads aren't that good at such detailed information like that. Just wondering..
This may be my first thread here, but its not my first thread on internet forums. Jeeps arent my only interest.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

I just told the dealer that I wouldn't sign the contract and take delivery until they shut them off with starscan.

They did it in under 5 minutes!
post #9 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Granite Guru

I don't know how I feel about hard wiring some little box that looks like someone made in their basement. you and get rid of your seat belt chime by reading the manual and other than that take your key out or turn it to the ON position.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

that's awesome, one of the most annoying things about the Jeep - been pissing me off for 4 years!

but $65?? plus shipping??
dayum thats a little pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Wheeler

This might make me sound like an ass---but:

Why not just unplug the door wires like you were going to take the doors off and just leave the doors attached??.....

(Above obviously only works for those of us that do not have the power windows/locks)....
post #12 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by henthorn View Post
This might make me sound like an ass---but:

Why not just unplug the door wires like you were going to take the doors off and just leave the doors attached??.....

(Above obviously only works for those of us that do not have the power windows/locks)....
I think everyone. I worked on a base all manual jk the other day that still had a door plug. I assume for this issue and lights
post #13 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedle4 View Post
I think everyone. I worked on a base all manual jk the other day that still had a door plug. I assume for this issue and lights
Think you misunderstood my post.....

Yes, of course they all have the plugs. Unplugging the power lock option doors and you will loose the feature---unplugging the standard non-power group doors and you loose nothing----except for the damn chime etc. Been doing it for the last year or so....
post #14 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Kind of cool, but my concern would be with the salty nasty shite we have on the roads here in the winter corroding the hell out of that splice.

Granted, this chime buster works way better and will have far fewer issues working under adverse conditions:

post #15 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmedicJ View Post
I just told the dealer that I wouldn't sign the contract and take delivery until they shut them off with starscan.

They did it in under 5 minutes!
This sounds better, $87.48 USD (shipped) for a Chime Buster and I have to play with the wire harnesses myself doesn't sound that great to me. $20-$30 would be one thing, almost $90 is ridiculous.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

for me it's more that it serves no purpose other than to annoy
really chrysler, if you chime at me for 5-10 seconds that I left the keys in, thats probably good enough. perma-chime serves no purpose whatsoever.
If the keys are still in it after 5 seconds of chiming, chances are pretty good theyre gonna stay there.

yeah you can unplug the door, but if you leave it unplugged, you lose power windows/locks and keyless entry if equipped - you lose your dome light on entry too.
true they arent 'necessary' but neither is a radio - but I like having it.

you can set the dome light to off - I think its called 'party mode' in the owners manual so you can have the radio on at the beach or whatever-but the damn thing times out anyway, so thats pretty useless, plus if you have the door open you get ding ding ding ding.

like I said, yeah unplugging the door bypasses it, but its the fact that it serves no logical purpose other than annoying me that, well - annoys me!

I gotta take mine in for state inspection anyway, I'll see if they'll turn it off with starscan.
problem is the guys at my dealership dont really know how to use the starscan tool very well
they couldnt reset the psi threshold on the TPMS on my dads new ram truck "it's not an option".

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode