Can I use the factory Hood Switch wiring for my SmartStart remote start? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Can I use the factory Hood Switch wiring for my SmartStart remote start?

Ok, so here's the deal, I had the Viper SmartStart installed a couple weeks back and they did not install a hood switch to disable it if the hood is open. Upon investigation I found that my JK came prewired with the hood switch wiring, just not the actual pin connector that it plugs into or mounting bracket. I now have both those pieces.

So my question is, can I simply tap into that wire and connect the wiring from the SmartStart directly to it? If this is not ideal, the directions on the factory remote start instructions (Pg 6), shows exactly where that wire is routed to in the factory pigtail. Would it be possible to simply remove it from the pigtail and connect that to the SmartStart wiring? To my knowledge the Jeep has to be flashed by the dealer to be told to even look for the hood switch, so I'm thinking that simply removing it from the pigtail won't effect anything and might be the best way to connect the factory wiring to the SmartStart wiring, it's just more work than splicing in, closer to the hood switch itself.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

id say take it back and make them do it, i put a mercury switch on mine, i could be wrong but unless you have a early 07 with a hood light then you dont have anything to hook to. where did you get it installed?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
id say take it back and make them do it, i put a mercury switch on mine, i could be wrong but unless you have a early 07 with a hood light then you dont have anything to hook to. where did you get it installed?
Best Buy it was a Xmas gift that I finally had the free time to take in. And yes they absolutely should have done it. The guy even ran the wiring, but since only a ball bearing type switch was on hand, he opted not to do it. I guess some people don't care or notice when stuff like that is done.

And actually to my knowledge only later 07s and on have the wiring there. I never knew it was until I went looking for it, because I read in the Mopar remote start instructions that it may very well be there and just unused. It's tucked in front of the washer fluid, covered in a piece of foam.
This first pic is the wire loom that it is in, the second is what I pulled out and obviously the third is minus the little foam hat they gave it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i belive what you have there in the pic is the temp sensor. only reason i say that is it looks exactly like the intake temp sensor. a hood switch would have to be somewere around the latch unless its in a hood light but only early 07's have a underhood light. if he ran the wire under the hood id just looks for a mercury switch online somewhere

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

You may be absolutely right, as I do recall the temp sensor looking like that, although I believe it's actually behind the grill, because I pinched a wire on it at one point and had temp readings of 140 degrees. lol Here's what led me to believe it may be the mysterious hood sensor. The location pictured is exactly where I found it. I guess when the pin arrives that it's supposed to plug into that will really let me know if I'm a huge dummy or just a moderate one for not knowing from the start. lol
Attached Images

Last edited by SaharaBlackNo1; 04-12-2011 at 04:59 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

The sensor your are holding is your air intake sensor for you Gen 1 Ripp supercharger. it was put there when you replaced the factory intake tube.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeglock View Post
The sensor your are holding is your air intake sensor for you Gen 1 Ripp supercharger. it was put there when you replaced the factory intake tube.
lol SO that's what it is. Ok then. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just mount the pin switch I have into the factory pieces and connect that way. I was just sort of hoping I could just plug stuff together and tap into it and be done. Well, thanks a ton for clearing that up.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to joeglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1 View Post
lol SO that's what it is. Ok then. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just mount the pin switch I have into the factory pieces and connect that way. I was just sort of hoping I could just plug stuff together and tap into it and be done. Well, thanks a ton for clearing that up.
no problem
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

On my '09 Sahara the hood switch is tied into my factory remote start. One of the guys I work with has a '10 X, no switch at all on his.

'13 JKU Rubicon - 3" Teraflex Lift w/ 8 Flexarms, LoD Rock Sliders, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
post #10 of 11 Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Wheeler

to the OP-did you tap into the factory alarm yet? How did it go? My 2011 has the hood switch for the remote start, but it does nothing for the alarm. I would like to see specifics-wire colors/plug locations etc. Thanks.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Wheeler

bump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode