Sirius Radio Help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Sirius Radio Help

I took my stock radio out and replaced it with an OEM radio equipped with Sirius.
My stock radio had one port for the AM/FM Antenna and a port for the Power Cord.
The OEM has an extra port for the Sirius antenna, which is where I plugged in the aftermarket TRAM Sirius antenna. My question is, Am I missing any other power cords? Should there be anything else to hook up. I have pics below to show what ports I am using, please let me know if anything is missing.

My stock radio

OEM Radio I purchased with Sirius Radio

Thanks, Matt.

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Jersey Kustoms Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders
Engo 10000 Winch
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
VHT Markers and Taillights
Jersey Kustoms Tramp Stamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

If you have the port that fits the Sirius antenna, one for your factory antenna, and the power, then you should be fine.

The Sirius antenna does not require any extra prower source if that is what you're asking.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
If you have the port that fits the Sirius antenna, one for your factory antenna, and the power, then you should be fine.

The Sirius antenna does not require any extra prower source if that is what you're asking.
Thats what I have one sirius, one am/fm and one power. Am I missing anything? Since I am not using the stock antenna?

Engo 10000 Winch
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Nope, your description is EXACTLY how my head unit and antennas are hooked up. You should be good to go.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #5 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Then I'm screwed! It is activated, signal has been sent three times. NO channels, no sound, nothing! Could the aftermarket antenna be the problem?

Engo 10000 Winch
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
post #6 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

First off, why aren't you using your factory antenna? Do you plan on never using AM/FM again? If you want to be able to, you need to hook the factory antenna back up as well.

Can you play CDs in it? If you hooked up the standard radio antenna, are you getting those stations? If not you may have to go to a dealership and have them unlock the radio for you. Depending on where you bought it from, some places have the ability to bypass the security lock, whereas others don't. If they don't you have to pay Jeep like 15-30 bucks unless you have someone there that will cut you slack.

As far as the SAT antenna goes, where did you buy it? Where do you have it sitting?

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but if everything else above checks out, are you sure you are pushing the Sirius button on the device? I know, I know, but I had to ask.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONNYDL View Post
First off, why aren't you using your factory antenna? Do you plan on never using AM/FM again? If you want to be able to, you need to hook the factory antenna back up as well.

Can you play CDs in it? If you hooked up the standard radio antenna, are you getting those stations? If not you may have to go to a dealership and have them unlock the radio for you. Depending on where you bought it from, some places have the ability to bypass the security lock, whereas others don't. If they don't you have to pay Jeep like 15-30 bucks unless you have someone there that will cut you slack.

As far as the SAT antenna goes, where did you buy it? Where do you have it sitting?

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but if everything else above checks out, are you sure you are pushing the Sirius button on the device? I know, I know, but I had to ask.
I am using the factory antenna. As you can see in the first pic, my original radio only has a spot for the am/fm radio. In the second pic you can see the second port for the Sirius. I hooked up the factory antenna to the original spot(it will not work in the other port) I hooked up the sirius plug to the only other available port. Then lastly I plugged in the power plug.

Everything else works. The CD player works, the am/fm works fine. I have a subscription to Sirius now and it does not work. Everything with the exception of the Sirius works.

Lol, I am very well aware of how to use the radio! I had one in my Sahara, this one did not come with Sirius and I miss it so I was trying to just replace it with a factory unit so I had no problems but I guess that was wishful thinking!

Jersey Kustoms Front Bumper
Jersey Kustoms Sliders
K&N Drop In Filter
Daystar Dash Panel
Tread Lightly Rubber Mats
Drilled/Slotted Rotors
post #8 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Granite Guru

Like I said, no offense was meant, but as I am sure you know... sometimes people trip up on the simple stuff! Now, here is what I personally would do... go to Best Buy, tell the guy what car you have and say you need a SAT antenna for the factory head unit, buy it and take it to the car and try to hook it up to see if you get anything. This is actually how I figured out my first Sirius radio ever was a dud. If it works you know it was your antenna. If it doesn't, it is somethin with the head unit and you can return the antenna to Best Buy with no penalty.

Last edited by SONNYDL; 04-04-2011 at 04:36 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Ok, after letting a few hours pass and getting a clear head, I went back out to try it again. I double checked everything and it seemed fine, so the only logical explanation is that they didn't send a signal to my radio. I called the back, I finally got someone that I could communicate with and figured out that the original person that I talked to from the morning wasn't doing his job. He sent out a signal and within 5 minutes of trouble shooting I had my radio up and running. I knew I couldn't be that bad at swapping a radio!!!! Thanks for the suggestions.

Engo 10000 Winch
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
post #10 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

doesnt suprise me, when i got my first JK i had a aftermarket sirius in my TJ so i dint need that anymore simce the JK had it and was free for a year, so i call sirius and tell them to cancel the one in my TJ since my new jeep had it already, so that was in nov of 06 and it still works to this day, they never turned it off, never got billed again either.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #11 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6 View Post
Ok, after letting a few hours pass and getting a clear head, I went back out to try it again. I double checked everything and it seemed fine, so the only logical explanation is that they didn't send a signal to my radio. I called the back, I finally got someone that I could communicate with and figured out that the original person that I talked to from the morning wasn't doing his job. He sent out a signal and within 5 minutes of trouble shooting I had my radio up and running. I knew I couldn't be that bad at swapping a radio!!!! Thanks for the suggestions.
Congrats. I have actually seen quite a few bad units being sold recently which is why I starting to think about the Head Unit.

The ones that really get me are the mygigs being sold with junk fans... people should be ashamed.

Now go listen to your radio.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6 View Post

this is why i reactivated mine myself, i went through the same thing in my old silverado which best buy installed, they tried 2 different radios and the same thing happened. finally i just went to the website at thier store and sent the signal myself and it was up before i even got back out to the shop lol. when the jeeps free year ran out i just went to the website after i had the money to renew it and resent the signal and was done in less than 5 min.

glad ya got it working, i went for a while without it and it sucked, i hate regular radio now lol

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #13 of 13 Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Granite Guru

When you are about 3 weeks from your subscription being up, if you call and ask for the cancellation desk and say you can't afford to pay the high price they knock 50% off. Almost no hassle, though I know some people who had to call back a couple times before reaching someone who could/would acknowledge the deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode