Researching Dual Battery Setups - Do I need it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Researching Dual Battery Setups - Do I need it?

Right now I don't have any accessories on the JK except for a Viper alarm.

My Warn M8000 Winch will be there this week. In the near future, I plan to run either Rigid Industry or KC lights.

Will I need dual batteries for the winch?

Also, from my searching it seems like Benchmark is the system to go with.

Does anyone have a wiring schematic of a dual battery system? I want to understand how everything is setup and why.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

No. Just upgrade to a deep cycle battery. The Odyssey batteries are the best IMO. I have alot more accessories, and I still run a single battery.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #3 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I gots the dual battery ...it's cool. Caused me some major issues (my fault). All things considered, for the money, if I did it over again, I'd probably go with one top shelf battery and a sPod.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Rock God

The only reason to have a dual battery system is if you want to run power hungry accessories while the vehicle is OFF.

When the vehicle is ON/RUNNING, electrical power is being generated/supplied by the vehicle's alternator. If the battery is being utilized while the vehicle is running then the alternator is TOO weak for your application. If this is the case then an upgraded alternator is required. Generally speaking, the role of the vehicle's battery is to supply power for the starter to crank the engine; that's it. There can be situations where the battery is called upon but by and large, when the vehicle is running, the alternator is the source of power.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #5 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Agreed with all you said but this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
Generally speaking, the role of the vehicle's battery is to supply power for the starter to crank the engine; that's it. There can be situations where the battery is called upon but by and large, when the vehicle is running, the alternator is the source of power.
Don't want to start a big debate but your altenator keeps your battery charged, and your battery is what runs everything electrical on your vehicle. If your altenator craps out while you're driving down the highway, your vehicle will not stop functioning until all of the juice in your battery is used up. Of course, that length of time depends on what accessories you're using and how many amps they are pulling.

..hijack over.

Mike
I'm in the same situation. I think I'm just going to upgrade the battery. Probably a Red Top.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #6 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post

Don't want to start a big debate but your altenator keeps your battery charged, and your battery is what runs everything electrical on your vehicle. If your altenator craps out while you're driving down the highway, your vehicle will not stop functioning until all of the juice in your battery is used up. Of course, that length of time depends on what accessories you're using and how many amps they are pulling.
Different way of saying the same thing. All he was saying was the total current draw under normal conditions (be that running a ton of lights, big stereos, or long hard winching) shouldn't exceed the amount of current the alternator can put out. One can run over the alternator's capacity for a bit, but eventually you'll drain the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
Thats a special kind of stupid right there.......
post #7 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post

..hijack over.

Mike
I'm in the same situation. I think I'm just going to upgrade the battery. Probably a Red Top.
Your statement is true but not 100% correct. The alternator generates ALL of the vehicles power, period. If the alternator is functioning properly and as a result the battery is always fully charged, then the electricity exits the alternator, hits the battery and gets passed on to any device that requires it.

If the alternator cannot keep up with the vehicle's draw, whether it's due to defect or being under powered, then the battery is called upon to meet the vehicle's electrical needs. If the alternator is strong enough to meet the vehicle's electrical needs then the battery is nothing more then a passive conduit for the electricity that is being generated by the alternator.

As far as I know, there is no switch that turns off the alternator when the battery is fully charged and turns on the alternator when the battery needs juice. Due to the nature of electricity there isn't a need for this type of switch as the power will simply flow through a fully charged battery while on it's way to power the vehicles electrical components.

Again, the only time the battery is called upon is when the alternator cannot handle the vehicle's electrical draw. Are there situations where this is common? Sure there are. But if this is the case I would upgrade the alternator before adding a second battery. Why? Because if the alternator is having a hard time supplying the vehicle's electrical needs then how can I expect it to meet the needs of keeping a second battery charged?

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #8 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
.....As far as I know, there is no switch that turns off the alternator when the battery is fully charged and turns on the alternator when the battery needs juice....
Actually the alternator regulator controls the output in accordance to demand and to maintain battery charge otherwise you'd get an overcharged battery ( not a good thing).
post #9 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamon Creel View Post
Actually the alternator regulator controls the output in accordance to demand and to maintain battery charge otherwise you'd get an overcharged battery ( not a good thing).
True. My bad on that brain fart. I got wrapped up in on/off. Hate it when that happens.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #10 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
True. My bad on that brain fart......
<=== Sprays some Air freshener, whoa what have you been eating
post #11 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Granite Guru

Along the same lines, I'm looking for a dual battery setup but have heard horror stories about Benchmark and their customer service. Any other options for a good dual battery setup?
post #12 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Garage

Not to say I am anti dual battery but so far I haven't seen the need.. I run a winch, 4 Hellas, compressor, ARB Fridge, etc... not once have I said.. "Damn, I wish I had done the dual battery mod". <shrug>

I'm not ruling out ever doing it, but it is pretty far down on the wants list.

Right now the single Yellow Top does me fine.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #13 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Not to say I am anti dual battery but so far I haven't seen the need.. I run a winch, 4 Hellas, compressor, ARB Fridge, etc... not once have I said.. "Damn, I wish I had done the dual battery mod". <shrug>

I'm not ruling out ever doing it, but it is pretty far down on the wants list.

Right now the single Yellow Top does me fine.
This is my dilemma,the return on investment. As it stands now I really only want a dual battery system so I can bump my stereo when camping. I really want it but I just can't pull the trigger for the limited use it will see.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #14 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
This is my dilemma,the return on investment. As it stands now I really only want a dual battery system so I can bump my stereo when camping. I really want it but I just can't pull the trigger for the limited use it will see.
That and lugging around a second battery... not exactly prudent in my case since I am trying to shave some pounds.. not add them.

I guess I can see the need for a multiple battery system in a rig that is more set up for Expedition type stuff... it is nice to have a back up if needed if your out in the middle of no where alone. Me, I'll just ask someone in my group for a jump.. they will probably have dual batteries!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #15 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

like hit said, its more for a redunancy(sp?) setup where your to far out to have a battery/alt fail and leave you stranded. i run 2 batt in my pontoon boat as im terrified of something happening and the batt going dead, one just for starting and when im floating around i switch it to another for music/lights.
off topic does anyone offer a high output alt for the jk yet?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #16 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'll probably just upgrade the battery to a Die Hard Platinum (Oddessy rebrand).

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #17 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Dual Battery

New member so forgive if I do this wroing. I installed a Benchmark battery set up and two hard plastic lines run to a valve, they are bent the wrong way for a clean install, also this valve is kinda blowing in the wind as mount was removed with the orginal battery box. The way the tubing is bent it wants to hang over where the second battery is suppose to be. Can I heat this tubing up and rebend it or???? Oh yeah, 2009 Sahara model, if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance
post #18 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

i have read people talking about mean green high output alternators, but know absolutely nothing about them.

http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #19 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Rock God

I run the dual battery for a lot of reasons but the main one being that I use my JK to go camping and tote along a welder that requires 24 Volts.

post #20 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogoble View Post
New member so forgive if I do this wroing. I installed a Benchmark battery set up and two hard plastic lines run to a valve, they are bent the wrong way for a clean install, also this valve is kinda blowing in the wind as mount was removed with the orginal battery box. The way the tubing is bent it wants to hang over where the second battery is suppose to be. Can I heat this tubing up and rebend it or???? Oh yeah, 2009 Sahara model, if it makes any difference. Thanks in advance

Pics, Not understanding ? Do you mean the smart isolater (ie. valve)? Plastic lines: Battery cables? Flapping in the wind ?
post #21 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Pics, Not understanding ? Do you mean the smart isolater (ie. valve)? Plastic lines: Battery cables? Flapping in the wind ?
I think he's referring to the EVAP Purge valve and the corresponding hard lines. I'm not sure I would be comfortable applying too much heat to these, as they contain gasoline vapors. As far as "flapping in the wind", Benchmark newest tray has a mount for the valve, and others have made their own.

See what search can find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
post #22 of 34 Old 04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i eventually want to get dual batteries but its just hard to think about dropping 500 for 2new batteries and the tray and wiring.

check out 12 volt guy hes got a dual battery system just need a tray to make it work or something else

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #23 of 34 Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
so I can bump my stereo when camping. .
So your that guy.....

2008 JKU Rubicon
TerraFlex 4" coils
Fox 2.0's
Smitty SRC Bumper
Smitty XRC Winch
Hella Rally 4000's
Hella H4 Headlight conversion
K&N CAI
Diablo In Tune
Ripp Headers
American Racing Mojave 17x8
Cooper AT3 315/70/17

140K pretty much trouble free miles despite the constant abuse.
post #24 of 34 Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Rock God

If you are interested in a very clean, easy kit to install go this route.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43375

post #25 of 34 Old 04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use my back up battery to run all the mumbo jumbo acc. The jeeps electrical sytem is far to complex and is very sensitive and unless you understand the BS of Canbus. Its nice isolating all your aftermarket goodies to a sep batt. Mine is set up so the jeep has its own starting batt and also can jump start its self if need be......

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode