Bully Dog GT - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Bully Dog GT

Has anyone played with the new Bully Dog programmer / monitor for the JK?
I saw it today at 4wheel parts and it looks pretty slick. I love the monitor function.
Just want to see what your opinions are if you are running it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Wheeler

Both my cousin and my brother just picked it up and I helped my brother install it over the weekend. It's real nice, I was almost tempted to sell my super chips. It is quite smaller than what I thought it would be but that's even better. One thing I was not real impressed with is the fact that it stays plugged in to your obd2 port. So if you have a stick shift you might as well plan on relocating that so you don't tear up the plug with your left leg. It seemed to have just about the same options as my superchips as far as performance programming. From what I was told you can go through the screens and sibley all of your traction control which seemed like a nice feature. Overall i'd suggest it.

08 Sahara Unlimited
Red Rock
Teraflex Leveling Kit
285/65/R18 BFG A/T's
Volant CAI
Gibson Exhaust
Superchips Flashpaq
Clear Markers and Signals

08 2dr X
Detonator Yellow
BDS Shocks and eveling Kit
285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers A/T
Nite Shaded Signals, Tail Lights
Recon Smoked Markers
Color Matched Vent Bezels
post #3 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Rock God

x2. The Monitor function kinda rocks, lol. I only got to see it for a brief time before it went on it's merry way, but everything I saw in it's presentation was that it had everything the others did and added a few more features as well. One nice thing that I don't know if the others are capable of is that you can run the special features on the '11 JK (not the performance junk, but all the other stuff like locker control, RPM REV, etc).

It's actually one of our featured products this month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
x2. The Monitor function kinda rocks, lol. I only got to see it for a brief time before it went on it's merry way, but everything I saw in it's presentation was that it had everything the others did and added a few more features as well. One nice thing that I don't know if the others are capable of is that you can run the special features on the '11 JK (not the performance junk, but all the other stuff like locker control, RPM REV, etc).

It's actually one of our featured products this month.
JKO 50% discount code?
post #5 of 28 Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Ditto! More info with pics! I just upgraded from the rubi tires to 315 duratracs and have no clue how fast I'm going so I am trying to figure which tuner to get, and yes I want a tuner/programmer and not something like the Aev one. Does it also improve throttle response like a added bonus instead of the sprint booster module?

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 Old 04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Rock God

Can't wait to hear more about this!

2009 Deep Water Blue Wrangler Unlimited X
37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on KMC Machetes
Synergy 3" Coils/Rancho 9000XL Shocks
Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
Front/Rear ARB Air lockers
post #7 of 28 Old 04-08-2011, 06:38 PM

Unhappy

I just got mine today but it seems that the bully dog web site is down.Is anyone else having this problem.I acually took the day off to get this installed so i can play with it over the weekend.
post #8 of 28 Old 04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

I like the options of disabling TC and working the lockers and swaybar!

Tuning Levels:
OFF ROAD:
11.5 HP, 15.3 TQ, ENGINE FAN TURNS ON HIGH SPEED AT 200 F COOLANT TEMP LEVEL. The off road tune is very similar to the Reg/ Tow Tune power wise. However, to make the tune more effective off road the throttle sensitivity has changed up. Our throttle mapping is less sensitive than OEM tuning at lower throttle % engagement to give off-roaders more control over the actual power that they put to the ground.
REG/TOW:
11.5 HP, 15.3 TQ, ENGINE FAN TURNS ON HIGH SPEED AT 205 F COOLANT TEMP LEVEL. This tune is great for everyday driving and towing use. Meant for use with regular octane pump gas but any OEM approved fuel will work.
PREM/SPEED:
15+ HP, 20+ TQ, ENGINE FAN TURNS ON HIGH SPEED AT 205 F COOLANT TEMP LEVEL. This tune is meant to maximize your potential horsepower. A minimum of 91 octane gasoline is required to avoid risk of engine damage.

Download Features: features only available by downloading.
Speed Limiter: Adjust from 45mph to 200mph.
Rev Limiter in Drive: Adjust from 5000 rpm to 6500 rpm.
Rev Limiter in Neutral: Adjust from 5000 rpm to 5700 rpm.
Transmission shift point: Modify shift points at Wide Open Throttle on an automatic.
Calibrate Speedometer: Adjust from a tire size of 23.2" up to 45.5".

Special Features: These features can be used with or without installing a download.
Engine Fan: Turn the engine fan on or off.
IDLE Up: Change engine idle when in park or neutral.
TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system): Air down to under 10 PSI without a light.
Disable Traction Control: Completely disable traction control, great for off road.
Sway Bar Disconnect: (Rubicon only) Disconnect the sway bar up to 30 mph automatically, there is no physical installation required.
Lockers: (Rubicon only) Engage lockers in 2wd 4wHi and 4wLow, this feature is recommended for those who know how lockers work.

Jeep 3.8L Dyno Charts
Special Edition Jeep 3.8L JK - GT Gas product info sheet

All the info is here!
http://www.bullydog.com/jk_tuning.php
post #9 of 28 Old 04-09-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I read all that on their site, but I want real world experience.
post #10 of 28 Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Wheeler

I'm running this lil' puppy, I like it. If you have a clutch, expect to one day curb stomp the adapter/your obd2 port. If you plan on buying this also plan on relocating that port! The adapter that the hdmi cable and acc. power wire plug into has a switch on it (and fuse) so you can turn it on and off each time you want to use it (since obd2 has constant power), or you can set it to power on with the acc. wire that's included. Left mine on a couple times too many and decided to wire in the acc. wire for its power.

Once you have it installed all the special features like sway bar disco, lockers anytime, traction control disable, idle up/down, pressure up/down, YADA YADA will work without installing/touching your computers programming. For shift points, HP and TQ. gains, etc, you need to backup your stock jeep computers programming to a SD card in the bully dog (probably would suck if someone stole this...), and install the new 'bully dog' programming into your jeep.

Anywho, if you can get this for $300 it's a cool thing to have. Tons of features, I think even some not listed. Maybe not so cool if you don't have a rubicon edition, as sway bar disco and lockers anytime won't apply to you. The traction control disable is really amazing. I thought it would disable about as much as the stock disable button... I was quickly shown that it disables every safety system it seems. The only one I'm not sure about is the rollover system, but lots of lights come on in the cluster. Probably the best feature this unit has. Don't be afraid to try this unit out guys, you'll probably like it!
post #11 of 28 Old 08-05-2011, 11:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

One thing I don't see on their list of specs is adjusting for different gear ratios or entirely disabling TPMS. Are these features available? Also, is there a support forum??

Considering replacing my Superchips with one of these.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #12 of 28 Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Ditto! More info with pics! I just upgraded from the rubi tires to 315 duratracs and have no clue how fast I'm going...
Not to derail, but, roll-out calculates to about a 12% gain from stock to 315's. So, at 60, you're really doing 65-ish.

-M
post #13 of 28 Old 08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Got it installed yesterday. SMALL!!!! Like a cc card, it's smaller than my iPhone. Seems a bit peppier though nothing significant. I like it so far now I installed it right.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Mechanic

So this tuner is the only one on the market that works on the 2011 jk?

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #15 of 28 Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 PM

Garage
No tpms disable (YET)

I called them about the tpms disable a couple weeks ago, No go as of yet, but they are working on it. I will likely get one once they have this feature. If anybody gets any updates on it, post it up!
post #16 of 28 Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008fx4 View Post
So this tuner is the only one on the market that works on the 2011 jk?
The accessory functions will work, but not the actual tuning functions. So far, no one has been able to bypass the security coding in the 2011 PCM. Sucks for us, especially since the 2012's are officially on the market now.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.

Last edited by ShortBus; 08-11-2011 at 08:48 AM.
post #17 of 28 Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 PM
Wheeler

Guess i won't be doing my locker bypass tomorrow. I like the clean and correct method of doing it and the million other features it offers. Too bad the Wifes B-day is next week, gonna have to wait till next month
post #18 of 28 Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 AM

Ive been running it for about 2 weeks..My JK (07) definately runs better with it...I have a stick and it still made a big difference..alot smoother and better power band..I also have an after market intake and exhaust. I can stay alot longer in 6th gear now..before the smallest incline in the road and I was outa 6th looking to 4th

Ive tried both the offroad and towing settings..I didnt like the throttle delay in the offorad setting so I went back to the towing..the cool thing is all the settings are totally adjustable.

I got mine at 4 wheel parts for $399 which is like $50 bucks more than you can get it if you shop around..but I had to have it now..after getting like 8mpg down to moab last month I was ready to cry..now I'm sitting around 13 mpg with 4.88s on 37s and a 4 inch lift..not bad for an areodinamic lifted brick.
post #19 of 28 Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Wheeler

I've been running the GT for about a month now, nothing but positive things to say about it. Did it and put in 5.13's at the same time and have no complaints. They do not have a tire pressure disable but after about 2 weeks running the tuner my tire pressure light shut off and hasn't came back on, don't know how it happened or what changed but its nice to not have to look at the light all the time.
post #20 of 28 Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Granite Guru

Download Features: features only available by downloading.
Speed Limiter: Adjust from 45mph to 200mph.

07 Sahara Unlimited, Jeep Green Metallic

Last edited by cbass; 09-28-2011 at 01:23 PM.
post #21 of 28 Old 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I can not seem to find if you can correct your tire size and gear ration with this tuner. Does any one know if it possible? If it is not possible can you run the Procal and the tuner together?

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #22 of 28 Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by garner View Post
I can not seem to find if you can correct your tire size and gear ration with this tuner. Does any one know if it possible? If it is not possible can you run the Procal and the tuner together?
Tire size - yes
Gear ratio - no

Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
post #23 of 28 Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
Tire size - yes
Gear ratio - no
So can you run it with Procal?

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #24 of 28 Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Rock God

I would never recommend mixing stuff with the computer...that's my 2cents.

Currie Antirock
Yukon 5.13's
Sleeves/Gussetts
JKS Rear Trackbar
ProRock 44
post #25 of 28 Old 10-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

You can compensate for gears by adjusting your tire size down. Not that I've tried this, but:

{tire diameter} * ({stock gears}/{new gears}) = {new setting}

I.E.: 35" * (4.11/5.13) = 28"

ought to get you in the neighborhood. Then go out and run some measured miles or drive past "Your speed is" radar signs to fine tune.

I also would recommend not using two tuners on the same vehicle. The Bullydog will probably not let you modify the engine/transmission settings if it sees non-stock programming. The ProCal is a simpler device and probably won't look for, and might overwrite the Bullydog mods, screwing things up.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 10-16-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode