ICom IC-7000 Jeep Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-01-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ICom IC-7000 Jeep Install

Looking at purchasing an ICom IC-7000, for use at home as a pseudo base station, as well as for in the Jeep as a mobile station. Would probably only use 2m on the road...but could consider HF as well down the road, while camping etc.

I have the Tuffy trunk, so was thinking I can mount the base unit in the secure trunk for theft prevention, and then mount the faceplate on the dash.

Anyone done a similar setup? Problems encountered, etc etc.

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

thats a nice looking rig.

i had a Yeasu FT100 mounted remote in a ZJ. that radio was preceeded by a FT90. the 90 was also remote mounted with the main chassis under the rear seat. i found out that wont work, even with that little radio. it produced massive amounts of heat. when i mounted my FT100, i put the main chassis in the rear cargo area, in the open. i mounted it behind the spare and it worked out great there.

I'm only a tech, so i never got any HF time on the radio, other than just scanning the bands. its a neat boredom-killer on the road.

Personally, i think if you remote mount the radio, put the chassis where it can get max ventilation. i think the 100/50/35 is pretty universal. I'm not sure how well the Icom will handle it, but in a confined space, its liable to overheat. If you can tuck it away out of sight... say under the driver's seat, right up against the bottom... or under the dash or even rear seat... it would be better off. reading the review on the radio, the author notes that the radio did very well in disipating heat.. but i do imagine that was in a wide open area. remote mounting alone allows separation of the unit and is a good theft deterent in itself.

73's
KG4KPI

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b1pig; 04-02-2011 at 01:03 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Granite Guru

I remote mounted my FT-857 in the rear package tray and so far no overheating issues. I do plan on taking out the carpet in the tray and putting a tuffy cover on it; should help with temp control.

Pictures are kind of dark but all I have right now.

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Granite Guru

Nice setup! I'm thinking about buying an FT-857D for the Jeep but I'm still trying to figure out the antenna situation. I'm leaning toward an SGC-237 and a cb whip. Any thoughts on this setup? I'd use it for road trips, camping, etc.

How well does HF work in the Jeep? What antenna(s) are you using?

Thanks,
Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #5 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Granite Guru

so do all of you have a ham lic. to run those radios? (KG6ENX)
post #6 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Rock God

Keep in mind that you may find yourself in some deep water. My friend lost a remote mount radio (behind the front seat) when he got stuck in some deeper-than-he-thought water and it filled his cab.
73's
KF6UIO

P.S. It is a good idea to end any posts about operating a HAM radio with your call. Not only can other HAM's see it, bt it reminds non HAMs that a liscense is required to operate one.

Last edited by Eugene; 04-10-2011 at 01:36 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca starman View Post
so do all of you have a ham lic. to run those radios? (KG6ENX)
Yep, but life got crazy for a while and I haven't bought a radio yet.

Bryan. (KJ4LNZ)

Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #8 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt3073b View Post
Nice setup! I'm thinking about buying an FT-857D for the Jeep but I'm still trying to figure out the antenna situation. I'm leaning toward an SGC-237 and a cb whip. Any thoughts on this setup? I'd use it for road trips, camping, etc.

How well does HF work in the Jeep? What antenna(s) are you using?

Thanks,
Bryan.
I plan on the ATAS-120 and FC-30. I know a couple of people running this setup with good success. Never used the SGC but it sounds pretty robust, i like the waterpoof feature of it. I'm also using a SSB-680SB for 2 meters and 70CM, works pretty well. Easily opening repeaters 30+ miles away with 50 watts on 2 meters. Lots of bonding issues though; invest in 20 ft or so of flat braid cable and bond everything.

EDIT: FYI right now I'm using a couple of HAM sticks for HF and it works pretty well. I also plan on carrying a couple of dipole antennas in maybe 20, 40 and 80 meters (ATAS doesn't tune to 80 m so for sure I'll carry one for that) for setup when I'm camping etc.

Stone White

Last edited by oO_Rogue_Oo; 04-13-2011 at 10:45 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to W3ZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo View Post
I remote mounted my FT-857 in the rear package tray and so far no overheating issues. I do plan on taking out the carpet in the tray and putting a tuffy cover on it; should help with temp control.

I have not ripped into my JK much yet. Did you run new wires to the back or is there 12V accessible there ? Just getting ready to install my Kenwood D700A.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ZR View Post
I have not ripped into my JK much yet. Did you run new wires to the back or is there 12V accessible there ? Just getting ready to install my Kenwood D700A.

You will have to run power back there.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to W3ZR

Thanks for the info, that will save some rooting around !

Bob , W3ZR / VE3SXZ
post #12 of 14 Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah as has already been said; you will need to run power. You'll want to run it direct from the battery to keep noise to a minimum.

Stone White
post #13 of 14 Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

I've been looking at hardware a bit more, and I was wondering how often people bounce around between the HF bands? It would be a lot cheaper to skip the whip/tuner or screwdriver and just build a single-band bug-catcher type antenna. The only real downside is that i would have to stop to change taps or swap coils.

If bouncing around the bands is a pretty regular thing, that would be a PITA. If not, then it would be nice to save a ton of $$$ and just build a good single band antenna and maybe a couple extra coils.

Any thoughts?

Bryan (KJ4LNZ)

In Progress
To Do
post #14 of 14 Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

since i have the FT8900, i'd like to get hold of a Diamond CR8900A for my radio.

when i had the Ft100, i had a long CB whip... i think it was around 100" long. i had the tuner which was designed for the Ft100 in the Jeep with it. it tuned most bands within 1.5 SWR.... had a friend of mine hit two contacts on it. one in Colorado (typical with elevation) and one in Brazil. that was before techs had 10m voice IIRC. one reason why i let go of the radio.

Diamon HV7A would probably be a good option in the one-4-all range.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 04-21-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode