Cobra 75 CB Placement - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Cobra 75 CB Placement

I would love to see some pics of everyones mounting ideas for the Cobra 75 CB in the new 2011 JK's... I am pondering ideas but have not nailed down anything just yet.

2011 Mango Tango JK

CEO/President

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Executive Board Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Pets Assisting Wounded Soldiers)

2A/E Engineer
Military Sealift Command
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Granite Guru

I have a 4 door 2011 mounted it under the passenger seat. Lost of unused space. I tapped the 12v in the front dash and ran it in the center console. When I trail ride I hang the Cobra between the 2 front seats from the roll bar. I use a long piece of Velcro strap plus a CB gator so both passenger and driver can use it.

2011 RUBICON UNLIMITED TAN
RIPP SUPERCHARGED
RACELINE RT231 MONSTER BEADLOCKS 4IN BS
IROK SUPER SWAMPER 39.5"
ROCK KRAWLER 5.5
FRONT SUPERWINCH 9.0
G2 ALUMINUM DIFF. COVERS
5.38 GEARS
post #3 of 17 Old 03-26-2011, 11:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't cut up or permanently modify anything to run your 75. Use the search engine and you will find that few last more than a year, range is very weak, and sound sucks (worse performance than a CB that costs half the price). You will eventually switch to something better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Don't cut up or permanently modify anything to run your 75. Use the search engine and you will find that few last more than a year, range is very weak, and sound sucks (worse performance than a CB that costs half the price). You will eventually switch to something better.
Interesting... I have used one for a couple years now with no problems. Granted I dont get the opprotunity to wheel that often due to being overseas 85% of the time.

2011 Mango Tango JK

CEO/President

Executive Board Member

(Pets Assisting Wounded Soldiers)

2A/E Engineer
Military Sealift Command
post #5 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

So which model do you recommend then?

2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Bone stock, but not for long!

/(O|||||||O)\
| |-------| |
|_|.......|_|
post #6 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I too have had mine for a couple of years.
I also plug mine into the aux jack of my radio for sound.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #7 of 17 Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:

x2....I mounted mine on the first Jeep, then sold the Jeep but kept the CB so had to swap out dash panel pieces for the hole issue.

Then on the new Jeep mounted it as well the same way, but have had issues with the Cobra 75 since I moved it over...sent it in for repair and received a new one only to have it stop working after a few months. Going to put the Uniden back in the Jeep until I can try and get the 75 working again.

U.S. Army
post #8 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
'merica

I've had my Cobra 75 for about 1 1/2 years and no issues. I installed it behind the glove box out of site and drilled a whole for the plug to stick out.

I am also setting up a YAESU FT-857D on the Jeep for when I'm out in the boonies and the cell phone don't work.

U.S. Army

KJ6OIT
post #9 of 17 Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
Rock God

do what I did. Pull out your glove box and zip tie the electronics body to the support below the back of the glove box. Glove box comes out easily by pushing in the back sides of it to release the two tabs. Tap the power into the switched charger recepticle and leave the CB handheld connection hanging below the dash from behind the glove box. Connect it when you want and the rest is invisible...except for the large antenna trailing your Jeep. No damage done. No permanent install.

RubiRed Unlimited

ARB bumpers
Superwinch 9.0i
3.5" AEV premium lift
35" KM2s, OR-Fab tire carrier
Viair on board air
post #10 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 02:08 PM
AOR
Granite Guru

I have been running Cobra 75 models for years
I even had one submerged in water that came back to life. however I am now having issues which I am not sure if they are CB related or not
I recently purchased my JK with the CB installed. I used it this past weekend for the first time and when I key up the dash lights would sometimes flash as well as the wipers would turn on. Today I pulled the dash apart and soldered all of the connections but left the box where he put it which is basically where you said yours is. I am still having this odd issue. I tired another CB - Cobra 29 using the same antenna and I did not have the issues. Are you having these odd issues to? To answer the original posters questions. The previous owner put the CB in a nice convenient location which is where I have seen several others mounted. There is a a bracket made to put the CB in this location that looks nice and clean. but this location is the worst possible spot you can put it which is on the right side of the radio.
I am concerned what would happen if the air bag was to deploy. I think the CB may cause serious injury or death.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
I have been running Cobra 75 models for years
I even had one submerged in water that came back to life. however I am now having issues which I am not sure if they are CB related or not
I recently purchased my JK with the CB installed. I used it this past weekend for the first time and when I key up the dash lights would sometimes flash as well as the wipers would turn on. Today I pulled the dash apart and soldered all of the connections but left the box where he put it which is basically where you said yours is. I am still having this odd issue. I tired another CB - Cobra 29 using the same antenna and I did not have the issues. Are you having these odd issues to? To answer the original posters questions. The previous owner put the CB in a nice convenient location which is where I have seen several others mounted. There is a a bracket made to put the CB in this location that looks nice and clean. but this location is the worst possible spot you can put it which is on the right side of the radio.
I am concerned what would happen if the air bag was to deploy. I think the CB may cause serious injury or death.
I am now having these issues with mine. I have re-wired everything but nothing has fixed it

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #12 of 17 Old 05-06-2011, 05:19 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

I am going to check my antenna mounting and grounding on the antenna and use the SWR meter. Where is your CB box unit mounted? I heard from another vendor that there is a person that would key up and their engine would stall. It ended up taking out his PCM.
post #13 of 17 Old 05-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOR View Post
I am going to check my antenna mounting and grounding on the antenna and use the SWR meter. Where is your CB box unit mounted? I heard from another vendor that there is a person that would key up and their engine would stall. It ended up taking out his PCM.
I have mine mounted behind the glove box. The first time I had this problem was last weekend and I thought I was loosing my mind. I checked everything on my wiring and all looks good

08 Detonator Yellow Rubicon-RE Arms-37" Mt/R's with Kevlar-Riddler Diff Cover-LoD stubby with Stinger-LoD stubby tire carrier-Warn M8000 Winch-Rigid D2's-20" Rigid Light Bar-SPOD-PS Rocker Knockers-PS Body Armor-5.13s-hydro assist-RCV shafts-IPF-Corbeau LG1 seats-12" King coilovers-AEV Hood-AEV Snorkel-5.7L VVT Hemi-AEV hemi Install Kit-4.5" AEV Springs-ProRock 44-AlloyUSA Rear shafts-Spyntech Hubs-Raceline Monters-
post #14 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 06:14 AM
DaK
Rock God

Sounds like you guys are experiencing EMI from the radio, or some VSWR from the antenna. This stuff can creep along the body and still get into your electronics if things aren't grounded or shielded properly. If you can, try moving your radios from behind the glove box.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-07-2011, 07:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Attach leads from the radio to a cigarette lighter. Plug it in when on the trail and take it out when you get home.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #16 of 17 Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 AM
AOR
Granite Guru

I spent a little time looking at things. the Antenna was not grounded at all
It has this thing called a Firestick Firering which needs to ground to the mount
I got it grounded to the mount then ran a ground wire from the mount to the chassis and it still does it. With an Ohm meter I am not getting continuity between the pl259 connector at the radio and the chassis which means it's still not grounded and with an SWR meter the reading is very high in the red so at this point I am assuming there is a break in the cable between the radio and the antenna, I am not a fan of that firering
I am going to purchase a regular CB antenna cable of higher quality RG8x with more shielding and try that. I think I may also purchase a new Anrenna with an extra ground lead on it to be sure
post #17 of 17 Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
AOR
Granite Guru

I replaced the cable today
i tested the old cable with an ohm meter the ground portion is broken "open" somewhere in the cable. now I can talk and the wipers do not come on. that RG-8x cable is about twice as thick but I feel that it was a wise choice and to get rid of that firering cable which I dislike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode