Pass. rear brake/turn signal not working!?!? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Pass. rear brake/turn signal not working!?!?

Can anybody help me out here?

I was driving around town today and I noticed my right turn signal on my dash was flashing very rapid. I figured no big deal I probably burnt out a turn signal bulb.

So I check it out and the rear turn signal isnt working. Pick up new bulbs from Auto Zone and pull the tail light. Both original bulbs looked OK so I was a little confused. Put the new bulbs in anyway and still nothing. Checked the fuses under the hood and they were OK (unless there's another fuse panel I dont know about?). Took the Jeep to my buddys to test it with a test light. There doesnt seem to be any power going to the tail light.

However the running lamp does work, but the front side marker on the fender flare is out too, when the running lights are on.

Any thought or suggestions??? Please help.

Thanks,
Bryan

2008 2dr. Rubicon Red Rock Crystal Peral
AEM Brute Force CAI: LOTS of PSC stuff: 37" KM2's: 17" Spyderlock's: Currie Anti-Rock: Warn 9.5Ti: Dynatrac PR 44 front housing w/ARB : RCV's : Yukon 5.13's: Viair Onboard Air: custom lift w/ front coilovers: 3.5" front stretch: hydro assist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Figured it out!!! Man am I an idiot.

I installed my new Rock Hard rear bumper a couple weeks back, and when I removed the factory hitch I just stuck the wire harness up behind the bumper. Well thats not such a good idea because.......it then bounced around and the rubber cap laid against the muffler, which then melted it and grounded the white/yellow wire which is the right rear turn signal / brake wire.

I wondered why it didnt blow the fuse?? And the only thing I can think is that the muffler has enough resistance to not act as a dead short. But was the path of least resistance and kept the power from going to the rear tail light?? I could be wrong, but thats my theory and I'm sticking to it. LOL.

So long story short....make sure to keep ALL wiring away from hot objects.

Bryan

2008 2dr. Rubicon Red Rock Crystal Peral
AEM Brute Force CAI: LOTS of PSC stuff: 37" KM2's: 17" Spyderlock's: Currie Anti-Rock: Warn 9.5Ti: Dynatrac PR 44 front housing w/ARB : RCV's : Yukon 5.13's: Viair Onboard Air: custom lift w/ front coilovers: 3.5" front stretch: hydro assist
post #3 of 30 Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Dang I thought it was something else, mine went out n I cant seem to figure it out either, still running stock bumper but did have an or fab tire carrier installed @ 2 mths ago so I doubt it was the wires getting burned... Any other ideas anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had a similar problem. Turned out the front bulb was burnt out and the rear connector was loose...just happened at the same time. Glad you figured out your problem.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM

really need some help here, im stumped. now both turn signals are dead, i took off harness and tried it on drivers side and drivers side on passenger to see if maybe thats what it was and we i made things worse, fuses are fine although im wondering if there is and independant fuse for blinkers (checked M 18&19) those two are good...brake and driving lights work its just the turn signals that dont. i bought the jeep used so i dont have a service manual, any help would be appreciated.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0666_07X View Post
really need some help here, im stumped. now both turn signals are dead, i took off harness and tried it on drivers side and drivers side on passenger to see if maybe thats what it was and we i made things worse, fuses are fine although im wondering if there is and independant fuse for blinkers (checked M 18&19) those two are good...brake and driving lights work its just the turn signals that dont. i bought the jeep used so i dont have a service manual, any help would be appreciated.
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem. I can plug the passanger side light into the driver's side harness and it works fine. Tail lights work fine, just no brake/turn signal on the passanger rear.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Granite Guru

Can't speak about the rears but have had the passenger turn signal issue multiple times. Usually after I come out of the mud or a hard rain. But lately it's been doing it allot more. I just pullled the bulb and cleaned the bulb and socket with a contact cleaner. usually I'm good for a few months
post #8 of 30 Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

I have had this same problem with my 2007 for years.

Symptom: Right turn signal (interior) starts fast flashing (indicating a bulb is burned out). First few times I determined which bulb wasn't working (always right rear) replaced bulb and it was fine for a couple months. It took me 3 or 4 times to figure out it the bulbs were fine. DOH !

Finally took it to the stealership. They "fixed it".

Whatever they did lasted 6 months or so.

Still does it regularly. Last couple times I just popped the rear taillight housing off, take the bulb out of the housing. Jiggle the wires a little, then put it back together.

Seems to be some kind of ground issue. I hate chasing electrical problems.

A definative answer on this would be nice.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Anyone come up with an answer for this I am having the same problem tail lites work but the passenger rear turn signal does not work ,yes I changed the lamps also.I am stumped

Black Jeep
post #10 of 30 Old 07-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVHVAC View Post
Figured it out!!! Man am I an idiot.

I installed my new Rock Hard rear bumper a couple weeks back, and when I removed the factory hitch I just stuck the wire harness up behind the bumper. Well thats not such a good idea because.......it then bounced around and the rubber cap laid against the muffler, which then melted it and grounded the white/yellow wire which is the right rear turn signal / brake wire.

I wondered why it didnt blow the fuse?? And the only thing I can think is that the muffler has enough resistance to not act as a dead short. But was the path of least resistance and kept the power from going to the rear tail light?? I could be wrong, but thats my theory and I'm sticking to it. LOL.

So long story short....make sure to keep ALL wiring away from hot objects.

Bryan
Well finally found my problem got a chance this morning to check it out better and there it was the trailer harness melted to the muffler,glad i didn't make appointment with the dealer.

Black Jeep
post #11 of 30 Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 PM

I'm having a similar problem. Right rear, works fine the first time I use it after even just turning the ignition on. Then right rear turn signal stops working, and gives me the fast flash inside. No aftermarket anything yet, although LED rears are coming soon. Would like to solve this before I throw another variable into the mix.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-19-2011, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
I'm having a similar problem. Right rear, works fine the first time I use it after even just turning the ignition on. Then right rear turn signal stops working, and gives me the fast flash inside. No aftermarket anything yet, although LED rears are coming soon. Would like to solve this before I throw another variable into the mix.
Do the front and rear lights actually "work fine" the first time...or are you going by how fast they "blink"? The rate in which it blinks is determined by a module, not by resistance like older vehicles. The first time you hit the blinker will always blink at a "normal" rate, until the module determines a bulb is out and increases the rate to inform you a bulb is out..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 30 Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

I am having this same issue but on my drivers side. The rear blinker is not working nor does it light up when I press the brakes. But it will light when I turn the lights on. No idea how to troubleshoot that one.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Dredging this one up. Tonight the RR turn signal and brake light quit, got rapid flasher with front TS working fine. Pulled the taillight assy and looked at the bulb, appears to be fine. Seems to be pretty common problem, but does anyone have a fix?
post #15 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Wheeler

With mine, the bulbs looked fine but the brake light I believe was actually blown. The filaments are so small it's tough to tell they are blown. I swapped bulbs between the brake/blinker to see which one was blown. Easy and cheap fix.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Had his happen on my 07. Turns out it was the wiring harness for the taillight. More specifically it was the black plastic thing just before the actual taillight housing.

Sent via Pony Express

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #17 of 30 Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Pulled it this AM and it was just the filament on the right rear brake light / TS bulb. New bulb and all's well.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-01-2014, 04:47 PM

Tail Light Isuues

I'm having the same issue as most on my 2012 JK. Taillights will work fine and at random I get the fast dash light flash indicating a bulb is out. I check and it shows my passenger side rear blinker, tail, and stop doesn't work. I pull light to check bulbs and they are fine. Put it all back together and they work fine for a while. I never had this issue until after I installed an after market receiver hitch with the pigtail for hookup. Sometimes killing the engine and pulling key and then restarting resets the issue. Thought it was a grounding issue but a technician advised that the extra 3 foot of wiring harness for hitch is just enough draw current to trip the circuit, not blowing a fuse but just tripping circuit. He advised to install a little bit larger fuse to make up for the loss. Just learned this today, will give it a try.
post #19 of 30 Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Driver side tail light problem

I am new here but been reading forums about my issue. On my 2011 jk Rubicon I have a problem with the driver side tail light. When I turn on the lights it lights up like the brake is onand stays on all the time until I turn off lights. It burned one bulb and started melting the plastic where the contacts are. And when I turn to make a left hand turn when the lights are off it acts like 4 ways on and even the license plate light blinks. When lights are on it just blinks the front. There is no fast signal and the fuse looks good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #20 of 30 Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 AM

I have a 2009 Rubicon I bought 6 months ago. I am having the same intermittent RR blinker problem, all of my wiring is stock. Did the larger fuse solve the problem? This is frustrating, I consulted the dealership and they suggested it may be a problem at the steering column. They also suggested cleaning all the connectors with electrical parts cleaner, that didn't help. Any answers would be appreciated!

Last edited by OrangeRubi; 05-09-2014 at 07:08 AM.
post #21 of 30 Old 05-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeRubi View Post
I have a 2009 Rubicon I bought 6 months ago. I am having the same intermittent RR blinker problem, all of my wiring is stock. Did the larger fuse solve the problem? This is frustrating, I consulted the dealership and they suggested it may be a problem at the steering column. They also suggested cleaning all the connectors with electrical parts cleaner, that didn't help. Any answers would be appreciated!
The blinkers have no fuses.

You say your right rear blinker doesn't work.
Do you get the rapid blinking when you select the right blinker?
Does the right brake light work as it should?

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #22 of 30 Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Yes the break light works when I'm having the issue but is appears dimmer. Most of the time it works fine and then it starts acting up. It's been 2 days ago that I cleaned everything and it seems to working fine so far.
post #23 of 30 Old 11-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Koa

I have the same issues. What fixed the RR indicator was to take of the rear light housing, jiggle the wiring harness a little, put it back. Then I changed the fuse (the old fuse still looked good, though). After about 20-30 minutes of driving around, the RR indicator decided to work.

No I am going through the same incantations with the LR indicator. (It must have been jealous from all the attention the RR indicator received.)
post #24 of 30 Old 05-16-2015, 01:57 PM

I'm having an issue with my left rear blinker/light. I removed the housing bulbs are not burnt, I even changed them out to make sure. Fuse is fine, can't figure it out. I checked the connections they seem fine, not sure where else to look...

I'm losing my mind.
post #25 of 30 Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
I'm having an issue with my left rear blinker/light. I removed the housing bulbs are not burnt, I even changed them out to make sure. Fuse is fine, can't figure it out. I checked the connections they seem fine, not sure where else to look...

I'm losing my mind.
Can you describe the issue you are having?
Also, I'm curious which fuse you looked at to determine it's fine, as the directional lights have no fuses.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode