Wild Boar rear defrost and power sunroof wiring/switch suggestions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wild Boar rear defrost and power sunroof wiring/switch suggestions?

I recently installed a Wild Boar fastback hardtop on my 2010 JKU. It has a power sunroof, which you receive in several pieces with several dangling wiring harnesses, and ZERO instructions. Also, it has a rear defrost with harness (I did not order the rear wiper).

So first the defrost. As I had a soft top, I have no wiring or switch for the rear defrost. Since I do not have a rear wiper or washer fluid, I think the MOPARŪ Factory Hardtop Wiring Kit is major overkill. Does anyone have a forum posting and parts list for a clean rear defrost install/switch?

Second, this is probably specific to Wild Boar, but if by some miracle you've wired up a power sunroof in your JK, any pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Page

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sorry I can't help but the top looks very cool! Do you have pics of your sunroof from the inside?
post #3 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not a fan of Wild Boar but your rig looks great man...................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice looking rig!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would just setup a switch from the battery for the sunroofs. Could do the same for the defrost as well. You could also get an sPod, or call the 12Volt guy, both are really clean options for addtional switched wiring. It is difficult to locate switched and constant power in the JK due to the CANBUS system, the cigarette lighter wiring are also readily accessible,and constant/switched, but not the most ideal of situations IMO. You would be looking at a few hundred bucks to have the factory hardtop harness installed and starscanned into your computer.

I also have the fastback top, but I already had the hardtop wiring from my dual top setup.

Your Jeep looks GREAT! Congrats!

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JKrazed; 03-18-2011 at 01:05 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
I would just setup a switch from the battery for the sunroofs. Could do the same for the defrost as well. You could also get an sPod, or call the 12Volt guy, both are really clean options for addtional switched wiring. It is difficult to locate switched and constant power in the JK due to the CANBUS system, the cigarette lighter wiring are also readily accessible,and constant/switched, but not the most ideal of situations IMO. You would be looking at a few hundred bucks to have the factory hardtop harness installed and starscanned into your computer.

I also have the fastback top, but I already had the hardtop wiring from my dual top setup.

Thanks! I ordered a winch remote hardwire from 12Volt Guy a while back, I'll see what he has for the rear defrost and sunroof power. I already have a CB tapped into the cigarette lighter, so I'd prefer not to go there again...

2010 Mango Tango JKU
Teraflex 6" Long Arm, Teraflex Dana60 front/rear axles, RIPP Supercharger, Poison Spyder armor, and a ton of other stuff. The grill is still stock.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-22-2011, 09:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Its just like wiring any other thing into the JK.
Use a relay and pick your switch mounting location.
Call wild Boar and ask what type of switch is needed for the sunroof, it may be a momentary switch.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #8 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

UPDATE:

So, wiring the defrost, no problem. However, me and a buddy of mine (who is way smarter than I am on electrical) could NOT figure out how/where to get power to the Wildboar sunroof motor. There does not appear to be any available wiring from the motor or switch to hook power into!

Here's what the switch looks like (this mounts behind the "open/close" button on the finish trim piece):

And here's what the wiring looks like going into the motor:

Basically, I have four wires coming out of the motor, all terminating at the switch, and no obvious place to run power to (unless I solder something somewhere!)

Any thoughts on this? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

2010 Mango Tango JKU

Last edited by chrispage; 04-28-2011 at 07:35 AM.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post

Hey JKrazed, where did you run your power into the sunroof motor? Check out my pics above; did yours come the same way?

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #10 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM

Quick question..... Where did you get your CB "whip" I have been looking for that exact set up. Thanks
post #11 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGamer View Post
Quick question..... Where did you get your CB "whip" I have been looking for that exact set up. Thanks
I've got a Cobra 75WXST CB w/a CoolTech Versamount (interior mount) and what you see on the outside is the CoolTech UltraMount CB Antenna Kit w/4' Firestik antenna:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_ultramount.shtml

Took about an 90 minutes to install the whole thing (antenna system, running cable, CB mounting). It looks great, no problems other than getting the antenna caught in some tree limbs once off-road. The mount is super solid.

The Versamount is a great option for a place to mount your CB mic. Jeeps don't exactly have tons of room up front to spare:

http://www.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_versamount.shtml

Hope that helps,
Chris

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #12 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

i know the perfect fix for this...

i give you my hardtop and you give me that crappy thing thats not working correctly...

oh and my defrost works just fine

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #13 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NascarRubicon View Post
i know the perfect fix for this...

i give you my hardtop and you give me that crappy thing thats not working correctly...

oh and my defrost works just fine

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #14 of 21 Old 03-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Awesome thanks so much for the direction, also your JK looks awesome I also have a "Dozer" jeep, and was considering the Wild Boar fastback, any idea where I can view prices and options online. I will owe you big time for this one ( if you know of a site) Thanks once again for all the help ( I can use all i can get )
post #15 of 21 Old 03-05-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGamer View Post
Awesome thanks so much for the direction, also your JK looks awesome I also have a "Dozer" jeep, and was considering the Wild Boar fastback, any idea where I can view prices and options online. I will owe you big time for this one ( if you know of a site) Thanks once again for all the help ( I can use all i can get )
No problem, I don't know a whole lot myself, just learning as I go and having fun doing it.

About the Wild Boar, it was huge soap opera for me to actually get it, as the folks over there were changing manufacturers, and then other delays, and long story short it was something like 6+ months between the time I paid for it and the time I got it. I certainly assume that was a perfect storm of bad circumstances, and that the normal turn around time is a few weeks, and not half a year!

That being said, I LOVE the fastback hardtop. Coming from a soft top, it is amazing how much stability a single piece hard top gives your Jeep. On top of that, unlike the freedom hardtop with its unlined white fiberglass interior, the Wild Boar is lined inside with dark gray carpet, which not only looks good, but REALLY helps cut down exterior noise (especially if you're running off road tires on the highway ). Lastly, the optional sunroof is a nice touch.

The only downside of course is that the thing is a BEAST to get on/off. You will NOT being doing that regularly, and you'll want either a hoist in your garage or a good (and strong) friend or two to help you. Two can do it weight-wise, but it's a lot easier to guide it on without scrapping the crap out of your paint with three.

And of course, the look is very distinctive. Love it or hate it, there's not another one around here like it.

Their web site http://www.wildboarproducts.com/fastbacktops.html has a lot of info, but you'll need to shoot them an email for a quote. You'll also want to factor in shipping, which is several hundred bucks. They do a heck of a job shipping it though:

Lastly, you can check out this post for a list of upgrades I've done:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1088547

Like I said, I don't know a lot, but I can help a bit with anything on this list.

Hope that helps,
Chris

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #16 of 21 Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM

<<<< Inspired ;Wow!!! what a great set up, thanks you have given me some great ideas , I will look into the FB, look forward to seeing you around

Clear Eyes... Full Hearts.... Can't Lose !!!
Texas Forever
post #17 of 21 Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Wheeler

Hey Chris,

I love the look of your jeep. I have a Wild Boar on my JK as well. Sorry I couldnt help you answer any quesitons though, it was on there when I got it last summer. I will attempt to pull it off this summer for a while and see how it feels to go topless!! My wife really wants to run around with the top off...so we shall see how that goes

I love the sunroof option, and the rear defrost isnt even hooked up on mine. I have to keep in mind when I pull the top off to watch for the sunroof wires.

Andrew (SuMo)

2007 Black JKU, 4" Terraflex, 37" Nitto Muds, MagnaFlo, WildBoar slant back top, LS SWAP COMING SOON
post #18 of 21 Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I wired the sunroof of reagle's wildboar top and it had 2 wires coming out in the left rear corner - just a simple hot and ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #19 of 21 Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I wired the sunroof of reagle's wildboar top and it had 2 wires coming out in the left rear corner - just a simple hot and ground
Hey, just to verify, are you positive that powered the sunroof as well? I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I was pretty sure that the power in the rear left just powered the rear defrost...

2010 Mango Tango JKU
post #20 of 21 Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

yup I'm sure, his didnt have defrost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispage View Post
Hey, just to verify, are you positive that powered the sunroof as well? I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I was pretty sure that the power in the rear left just powered the rear defrost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #21 of 21 Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM

Just got my 2 door wild boar top this week. The two wires that come out of the left rear power the sun roof. I had to run a wire up to the front but once I hooked it up, sunroof worked without a problem. I did not get a rear defroster or wiper.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uqsjec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode