ETC Electrinic Throttle Control Problem - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ETC Electrinic Throttle Control Problem

I have done a search and came up with nothing that showed “ETC “ or Electronic Throttle Control.

Any how this is the problem I encountered today;

While driving down the road this morning (40MPH) the 2009 JK accelerated. Miles 22,500, I tapped the throttle twice, removing my foot from the Throttle it kept accelerating, I turned off the key. As I was coming to a stop I turned the key back to the on position (the engine was still dropping from the high RPM’s) it started racing up again. I turned it off again until it stopped. The “red” ETC warning light was on! After waiting for the traffic to clear, I started it again with the engine racing and foot on the brakes, I dropped it in gear and with my foot on the brake hard turned into the parking lot off of the road.

I caught my breath and got out the owners manual to see what it said the symbol was the Electronic Throttle Control. The light showing I followed the instructions of turning the key on and off, but not starting the vehicle. This cleared the warning code from the dash. I then started the vehicle and it did not race again. I called the dealer and then the 866 #. They arranged a tow to the dealership. They had this about 9:30AM today (3-14-11) the service writer said they would let me know what they found. By 5:00PM today I had not heard from them, so I called them. They have not done anything to the vehicle, as they are waiting to here from the Jeep to see what they want to do. The writer said because of the Toyota Electronic Throttle Control problems they want to have Jeep’s input on the problem.

The question I have has anyone else had this problem?

Frenchie La Chance
Western Adventures 4X4 Driving School & Guide Service
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

760-415-7071
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow. First off, glad you kept your wits about you, and didn't end up in an accident (or worse).

This is the first I have heard of the JK's having this problem. I hope the dealership can get you sorted out and back on the road soon. And safely .........

Anthony

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #3 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You probably thought you were in a Toyota for a min.... good job keeping everything under control and good luck with the dealer finding the problem.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
I have done a search and came up with nothing that showed “ETC “ or Electronic Throttle Control.

While driving down the road this morning (40MPH) the 2009 JK accelerated. Miles 22,500, I tapped the throttle twice, removing my foot from the Throttle it kept accelerating, I turned off the key. As I was coming to a stop I turned the key back to the on position (the engine was still dropping from the high RPM’s) it started racing up again. I turned it off again until it stopped. The “red” ETC warning light was on! After waiting for the traffic to clear, I started it again with the engine racing and foot on the brakes, I dropped it in gear and with my foot on the brake hard turned into the parking lot off of the road.

I caught my breath and got out the owners manual to see what it said the symbol was the Electronic Throttle Control. The light showing I followed the instructions of turning the key on and off, but not starting the vehicle. This cleared the warning code from the dash. I then started the vehicle and it did not race again. I called the dealer and then the 866 #. They arranged a tow to the dealership. They had this about 9:30AM today (3-14-11) the service writer said they would let me know what they found. By 5:00PM today I had not heard from them, so I called them. They have not done anything to the vehicle, as they are waiting to here from the Jeep to see what they want to do. The writer said because of the Toyota Electronic Throttle Control problems they want to have Jeep’s input on the problem.

NEUTRAL put it in NEUTRAL, that way you keep your power steering and brakes.

I think its completely Stupid they won't work on it till Jeep tells them what to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #5 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
I think its completely Stupid they won't work on it till Jeep tells them what to do
I agree and blame lawyers. The dealer is probably afraid on liability issues if they do anything before hearing back from Jeep.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

update on ETC

Service writer just called;
Test show a sensor is acting erratic. Code showed gas and brake applied together. Ordering part and Jeep rep. is coming down to check it out on March 16th.

Service writer said;
"Code showed gas and brake applied together." I will say the gas was on but it was not me! It was me on the brake hard and not the gas. If this is the case of pressing the brake and gas at the same time we all could do this in out driveway.

Frenchie

Last edited by Frenchie; 03-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Rock God

Glad you are OK. I would think if pressing the brake and gas at the same time was an issue Jeep School's video would have been a bit more interesting. I don't believe that at all.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kickerman View Post
Glad you are OK. I would think if pressing the brake and gas at the same time was an issue Jeep School's video would have been a bit more interesting. I don't believe that at all.
Thanks!
I know that the service writer dose not know me from Adam. He also dose not know what I do for a living. I will let them try and put out the BS then I will come in and introduce myself to him. He will see me again on April 30th. at his dealership when I am doing seminars for the dealership. I do not know it all by a long ways, but I know some. With 40 years of 4 wheeling and 26 years as a 4X4 trainer I know BS, if nothing else. This was me a week ago at the TDS Safari (last photo). http://www.off-road.com/trails-event...ari-53164.html

Frenchie La Chance
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071

Last edited by Frenchie; 03-15-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Granite Guru

Is he saying that pushing both pedals caused the issue or just that that's what the error code means? Did he deliver this information in an accusing way or just FYI?

Since the first instinct when a vehicle takes off on you is to apply the brakes, if the throttle was stuck on something when you pressed your breaks, it makes sense there would be a code in the log showing both the brake an throttle were depressed at the same time. This doesn't mean that code was the cause of the issue just a side-effect of the situation.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post
Is he saying that pushing both pedals caused the issue or just that that's what the error code means? Did he deliver this information in an accusing way or just FYI?

Since the first instinct when a vehicle takes off on you is to apply the brakes, if the throttle was stuck on something when you pressed your breaks, it makes sense there would be a code in the log showing both the brake an throttle were depressed at the same time. This doesn't mean that code was the cause of the issue just a side-effect of the situation.
"Did he deliver this information in an accusing way"

I was not sure at first myself, so I asked again. The feeling I got was more of a "I" was the problem. I then repeated the situation I described above and what I did. Then he mentioned the test showed a sensor is acting erratic. I think he is trying to cover Jeep's back side.

I am not mad or upset about this problem (yes, I was scared after it happened). I do not place a lot of faith in computers (I believe we all have our stories about computers). I would like them to say they had a bad part and they fixed it. The main reason I placed this question to the form is, I had not heard of Wrangler having this problem. The Jeep Grands had a bit of a similar problem a while back. We will know what is up in a day or two, I hope.

Frenchie La Chance
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #11 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Rock God

I wouldn't take offense to the code for brake/accelerator pedals at the same time.
The computer accelerated the engine because a malfunction made it think you pushed on the pedal.
Not wanting to accelerate, you pushed on the brake.

It should not mean any more than that. They need to concentrate on what made the computer accelerate the engine.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

There seems to be a lot of dealer hate on this forum and was wondering if this dealer was getting beat-up on because he actually has done something wrong or if it was just that bias coming through.

I personally don't hate all dealers but there are some I stay away from. For example, I can see a Harley-Davidson dealership out the window of my office and occasionally go there during break to browse the bikes; but because of a trust issue I have with them, I take my bike to another dealership 30 min away if there's something I just need a dealer shop for.

Fortunately, I also live relatively close to a number of Jeep dealerships so if I feel like one of them is jerking me around, I can always go somewhere else.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Rock God

I want throttle cables back damnit.......

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #14 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosDad View Post
There seems to be a lot of dealer hate on this forum and was wondering if this dealer was getting beat-up on because he actually has done something wrong or if it was just that bias coming through.

I personally don't hate all dealers but there are some I stay away from. For example, I can see a Harley-Davidson dealership out the window of my office and occasionally go there during break to browse the bikes; but because of a trust issue I have with them, I take my bike to another dealership 30 min away if there's something I just need a dealer shop for.

Fortunately, I also live relatively close to a number of Jeep dealerships so if I feel like one of them is jerking me around, I can always go somewhere else.
I am sorry that the statement came across as if I was dealer bashing. I may have a slight opinion of a bias with the service writer and his way of dealing with a customer. I will explain, When I called the dealership where I bought the Jeep they had me call the “Roadside Assistance Phone Number". They made the call to the tow truck company and told them where to take the Jeep. When I talked with the service writer after he received my vehicle by flatbed tow truck (I did not go with the vehicle to the dealer, only talked to him over the phone). He called back about 10-15 minutes later and we discussed the problem again. During this call the service writer said he would let me know what was going on and what they found. He said they would let me know by mid afternoon. As I stated I had not heard from him by 5:00 PM and I called them to find out what they found. I reminded him that he said he was going to call me with what they found. At some point he talked with Jeep and made a decision! He could have contacted me at that time. I did not expect to have the Jeep back at that time, I wanted to know what was going on. As per his statement he would let me know. With it being 5:00 PM they were going to close and I wanted to know what was going on before they closed.

The following day March 15th. we talked twice and he apologized both times again for not following through as he said he would.

I have not mentioned the name of the dealership or the service writer. If I was bashing anyone I would have surely mentioned these pieces of information. Fast forward (Also note that this dealer was selected by Jeep as it was the closest to my location. I have never been to this Jeep dealer location. The 3 others in my area were 3 miles., 8 miles and 12 miles further away from my location.)

I am a very easygoing person, up to a point. Then stand back. I blow my top as they say, then I get over it and it is done. You may be better at seeing me from the outside, then I do from the inside.

With the more then a dozen Jeeps I have owned since 1971(as many as 5 Jeeps at one time). I have been a loyal Jeep person. This includes the “Lemon” I had (correct that “Lemon Law” Jeep to a “Factory Buy Back” Jeep. I can not talk about it as I had to sign a “Non -disclosure” paper.

As a businessman I know what it is like to have a good reputation. I came from the age when a hand shake was worth more then a piece of paper, it is amazing how times have changed. I pride myself on my word as gospel.

FosDad Thank you, for pointing out that I may have come across in a way I did not attend for it to. I did forget that words on paper are different then the same words spoken face to face. The tone of a voice can say more then what the words themselves at times.

Frenchie La Chance
I4WDTA Certified Trainer
Tread Lightly Trainer

760-415-7071
post #15 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

Yea it sucks when people don't follow through on a promise. I too have had service departments promise a call only to get nothing. What is even more annoying is when rather than giving you a call as soon as you vehicle is ready, they wait till the end of the day and call you 5 min before closing to let you know its ready for pick up and there's no possible way to get there before everybody has left.

To hopefully save this from a complete hijacking rant, hope everything works out well with your Jeep and in a timely manner.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah it happened to me too... Twice actually. Took it into the dealer and got the same shit from the writer. He told me that i probably pressed both pedals at the same time, yes he was accusing me, and i told him that i might be a smart ass "kid" but i know how to drive.
I agree on the freaking out part, both times it happened was at night so there was nobody around thank god! But stay safe and next time it happens, just let it take you all the way into that service "advisors" office

VOTE # 13 FOR 2011 TTC!!!!!
post #17 of 25 Old 03-22-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The saga is playing out

I got the Jeep back after 5 days. I can not say anything at this time as it not over. I will post the information later if I can.

Frenchie
post #18 of 25 Old 06-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Unintended Acceleration

I own a 2012 JK Wranger Sport and I experienced the exact same thing this past weekend. I was at a light and pressed accelerator and felt that the Jeep was accelerating on it's own. I pushed on the brake with both feet and it kept accelerating. I was able to turn off main road and I used the tiptronic to bring it back down and was able to shut off the engine. I turned it back on and it seemed to be ok, I got it to a parking lot and immediately had it towed to the dealership. The engine was extremely hot and the smell of burning parts was evident. The dealership initially said that they drove it around the block and it seemed "fine". I told them that that was not suffecient, we aren't just talking about a rattle or something. They basically said that the only thing on the report that showed up was that the gas and brake were applied at the same time. I told them that yes, I WAS STANDING ON THE BRAKE, and the accelerator was operating on it's own! They sent me home without doing anything, I am afraid to drive this vehicle!
post #19 of 25 Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

If the dealer can't find anything wrong (or won't give you a good explanation of why it happened), then you are kinda SOL. Without the problem occuring while they are driving it, they will just give you the old "cannot duplicate problem", and send you on your way.

This may sound crazy, but is there any way that your floor mat got wedged under the pedal, and caused this problem? Did you recently remove the mats. for any reason? I ask because many moons ago, I was driving my '86 Grand Prix, and the floor mat would slide underneath the gas pedal from time to time. If the floor mat was in just the right position, and the gas pedal was pressed just the right amount, it would get wedged and stick open. I figured this out after doing an accidental burnout in a parking lot once..........

Hope you guys get it all sorted out!

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #20 of 25 Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
j5
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickfilet View Post
I own a 2012 JK Wranger Sport and I experienced the exact same thing this past weekend. I was at a light and pressed accelerator and felt that the Jeep was accelerating on it's own. I pushed on the brake with both feet and it kept accelerating. I was able to turn off main road and I used the tiptronic to bring it back down and was able to shut off the engine. I turned it back on and it seemed to be ok, I got it to a parking lot and immediately had it towed to the dealership. The engine was extremely hot and the smell of burning parts was evident. The dealership initially said that they drove it around the block and it seemed "fine". I told them that that was not suffecient, we aren't just talking about a rattle or something. They basically said that the only thing on the report that showed up was that the gas and brake were applied at the same time. I told them that yes, I WAS STANDING ON THE BRAKE, and the accelerator was operating on it's own! They sent me home without doing anything, I am afraid to drive this vehicle!
Quite the first post. Welcome.
post #21 of 25 Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post

Frenchie,
Hi, i am new to JKOwners.com. I came across your issue. TC Electrinic Throttle Control Problem. Did you ever get an answer to the problem? I had the same extact issue on the Toll road this weekend. I am trying to find out what could have happened. Thanks for your time.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

Did anyone find out what the cause was?

What I don't understand, why can the auto manufactures not put a line of code in the software that if the brake is applied, the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) goes to 0.

All of these fly-by wire things are getting out of hand.

What was wrong with the throttle by wire?

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #23 of 25 Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 AM

This just happened to my girlfriend. The dealer tried to pass it off as she had the floor mat under the brake and over the gas peddle. have any of you been able to determine what is causing this? Is your dealership being any more helpful than ours?
post #24 of 25 Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 PM

I know this is a year and a half later but I wanted to respond. This actually happened to me today. I was driving on the interstate and went to accelerate a little. Suddenly the Jeep just took off like a bat out of hell. I let off the gas and hit the brake a little. It wouldn't slow down and I realized the gas pedal was to the floor. The light came on the dash. I tried to pump the gas but it wouldn't release. I started pumping the brakes and it finally stopped. I put it in park and turned the ignition off. I tried to restart it but it wouldn't turn over. The light was still on. I did this three times with same result. I panicked of course cause I was stuck in the middle of the interstate. Called 911. After I hung up with them I tried one more time. Started right up and I drove it home with no problem. We were going to take it to the dealer in the morning. After reading your comment about the floor mats I went out to the Jeep and checked the floor mat. Sure enough there is a small lip on my floor mat that when I pushed the gas pedal down it did get stuck on that lip. So my husband checked to see if it would start while the gas pedal was pushed down. It wouldn't of course. So problem solved. It actually was just stuck on the floor mat and while I was waiting for someone to come help me I must have moved the floor mat with my feet just enough to release it. Thank you for your comment or I never would have figured this out.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Yes, just purchased a used 2015 Wrangler JKU Sahara automatic and 6 times in the past two days under normal street driving when I tried to stop and applied the brake the throttle increased to the point I was spinning the rear wheels while trying to brake! had to shift to neutral for it to stop. Same thing continues on an intermittent basis...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode