sanding teraflex cb antenna mount - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

sanding teraflex cb antenna mount

Where exactly do I sand the mount at. The two bolts that hold it to the tire carrier, or where the attenna attaces to it? Fawk me I ordered the firestick coax shit, and fogot to order a stud. To top it off, I think the hole in the teraflex antenna mount is too big, and may need a bushing for my fierstick antenna to work/ Help! I know I need a special stud to accomidate the fire wire coax thing, but do I need a bushing for the teraflex mount, or what>?

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust

Last edited by van7559; 03-10-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by van7559 View Post
Where exactly do I sand the mount at. The two bolts that hold it to the tire carrier, or where the attenna attaces to it? Fawk me I ordered the firestick coax shit, and fogot to order a stud. To top it off, I think the hole in the teraflex antenna mount is too big, and may need a bushing for my fierstick antenna to work/ Help! I know I need a special stud to accomidate the fire wire coax thing, but do I need a bushing for the teraflex mount, or what>?
I didn't sand the mount at all. I talked to teraflex and they told me all I needed to do was scuff the inside of the mounting holes with a battery terminal brush (worked great) and that should make a solid ground. I did that and got a great reading on the SWR meter (can't remember the reading though).

I noticed the thing about the hole being large too. I think my stud came with a nylon? washer that had a step-down which I placed upside down to help center the antenna in the hole but it still seemed like there was some slack. When I tightened it the antenna was solid though and about 2 years later it is still on there. All of my parts except the CB and the Teraflex mount are Firestik accessories and I used the coax with the fire-ring.

If I am wrong on my mounting of the antenna and the slack in the Teraflex mount please someone chime in as I would like to fix it if there shouldn't be any slack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got the teraflex mount and didnt sand or scuff it at all. I have a cobra 75, 4ft firestick, a quick disconnect and got 1.1 swr reading without any adjusting needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

To clarify, I didn't sand the mount at all....just scuffed the inside of the mounting holes for the tire carrier.

Quote:
Quote:
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

i had the same problem with the hole being to big, the original stud i had for was just barely big enough to work but the way it sat in the hole made the antenna crooked but it worked until i broke the antenna itself lol.

i found this mount at a truck stop and a quick disconnect. i just scrapped all the paint under where the mount attaches on the underside of the bracket and where the bolts go thru to the tailgate. if i remember right i got it tuned to 1.2 or 1.3 which is good enough for me, also a cheap antenna so it could prolly be better if i got a good antenna.

heres a pic of the stud, its pretty solid:

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #6 of 9 Old 03-11-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
I didn't sand the mount at all. I talked to teraflex and they told me all I needed to do was scuff the inside of the mounting holes with a battery terminal brush (worked great) and that should make a solid ground. I did that and got a great reading on the SWR meter (can't remember the reading though).

I noticed the thing about the hole being large too. I think my stud came with a nylon? washer that had a step-down which I placed upside down to help center the antenna in the hole but it still seemed like there was some slack. When I tightened it the antenna was solid though and about 2 years later it is still on there. All of my parts except the CB and the Teraflex mount are Firestik accessories and I used the coax with the fire-ring.

If I am wrong on my mounting of the antenna and the slack in the Teraflex mount please someone chime in as I would like to fix it if there shouldn't be any slack.
Did your firestick coax, come with all the coax connectors, on it all ready, or did you have to install the connector yourself? The one I got you have to attacth the connector, that will hook into the cb. The directions, are stupid shitty, and I don't have a clue how to do it. I do know it says you have to solder the inner piece to the inner part of the connector. Which I don't have any damn soldering iron or solder. Anyone got any good links on how to do this part?

07' Unlimited X
PSC Bumpers F/R
8k Warn winch
2.5" RK Max Travel
35" MTR's
5:13 yukons
Sleeved/Gusseted front
Dynomax pre-axle exhaust
post #7 of 9 Old 03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah, it came with the connector already attached. This is the actual coax I used. It has a small threaded conector that you screw the supplied regular coax plug onto. I used this because I wanted a clean install and it would allow me to fish that end of the connector through tighter gaps in the body. I ended up taking it through the tailgate through the rubber plug just below the Teraflex mount. I did this by using a soldering iron and burning a hole through the center of the plug which I let cool and used needle-nose pliers to expand enough to pull the cable through.

I just noticed the link above takes you to the main page even though I direct linked it....look under "coax, connectors & misc" for "2pc firering/pl" and that is the coax I used.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Hittnthebz; 03-11-2011 at 10:58 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Wheeler

I installed my teraflex mount and wired up my cobra 29. I ran the power ground to the firewall. there is a screw approx 1 inch above the hole in the firewall and thats what i used. I powered up my radio and had readings of 3+ on all channels. Im guessing there is a ground issue somewhere. Any ideas of where to start looking. Im running i dont want to trim my antenna to short since im not sure if thats the problem. I didnt sand my mount either. Someone on another forum suggested i need to ground my tailgate?.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-22-2011, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave413 View Post
I installed my teraflex mount and wired up my cobra 29. I ran the power ground to the firewall. there is a screw approx 1 inch above the hole in the firewall and thats what i used. I powered up my radio and had readings of 3+ on all channels. Im guessing there is a ground issue somewhere. Any ideas of where to start looking. Im running i dont want to trim my antenna to short since im not sure if thats the problem. I didnt sand my mount either. Someone on another forum suggested i need to ground my tailgate?.
^ X2, my antenna is bolts to the frame, my message is Antenna Fail and ground is to the Dash

08 Rubicon - AWE FAWK TOO MUCH TO LIST!

Last edited by andrelopez99; 05-22-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode