KC lights & wiring after winch bumper install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

KC lights & wiring after winch bumper install

This Saturday, if everything falls into place, I will be installing a RR XHD bumper w/ stinger and a Superwinch EPi9.0 w/ synthetic line.

The previous owner had a pair of KC lights mounted to the stock bumper and has a rocker switch on the dash that lights up when turned on.

I want to remove the two lights and save them for a later date for possible reinstallation but I'm not sure what to do about the left over wiring. I looked under the bumper and tried to follow the wires but can't really be sure how its all hooked up. Especially the ground wire and how it ties in with the switch on the dash. The positive wire (red) hooks up to the battery, the negative wire (black) is not connected to the battery. I know NOTHING about electrical hook ups so use "baby words" if you choose to try and help me out...

So then, as far as the ground is concerned - looks like it runs along with the positive , just under the windshield along the back of the engine compartment; then splits off and goes back up to where the right front parking light is. I really don't know... There is a small terminal right back in there, impossible to reach, that has a bunch of wires going into it. I do know however that there are definitely no plugs to the lights from the wires under the bumper that I can see.

Is it safe to just snip the wires at the bumper end and tape them up with good electrical tape, disconnect the positive lead to the battery and tape that up as well and call it good? Or, should I just get rid of all the wiring (if possible) and start fresh if and when I choose to remount them to the bumper at a later date.

And lastly, are there any good pointers or tips about where I should route the winch cables that lead to the battery. Never did this before... Thanks!

Here are some pictures: The wire in my hand is the positive for the KC lights.
http://gallery.me.com/dpk123#100596

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

If the current lighting system works. And you think that you might reuse it. Then just simply cut the wires at the bumper. Leaving enough wiring to resplice at a later date. Tape up the ends real good. And don't worry about the rest. Route your new winch leads accross the pasanger side of the engine bay. Closest and shortest route possible.

"The Green Monster"
2007 2 Door X Jeep Green with Freedom Top
16" Painted Aluminum Mopar Wheels
Grab Bar Mod on front bumper
130w KC Daylighter Driving Beams on grab bar
130w KC Daylighter Long Range Beams
on
Smittybuilt Windshield Brackets
Rock Light Mod
Reverse Light Mod
Mood Light Mod
post #3 of 3 Old 03-10-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode