Intermittent 'no power' - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Angry Intermittent 'no power'

Alright, I've had 'no start' situations two days in a row now - which now means that until I figure out what's going on I can't trust it and I can't go camping, or any place where I wouldn't be close to a friend to pick my ass up.

Last night I was ready to go home after dinner, unlocked the doors (via the remote), got in, tried to crank and all the lights on the dash came on but the starter didn't turn. Tried again, same thing. The headlights turned on fine, all the dash lights did their normal 'starting up' thing but nothing. I called the wife to let her know not to leave (she had her car, we met at the restaurant after work). While I was on the phone with her the Jeep started right up, no hesitation at all.

When I got back home I shut it off and started it back up several times without problem.

Started up fine this morning to go to breakfast.

After breakfast, unlocked the doors with the remote, got in, tried to crank and everything immediately went dead - couldn't turn on the headlights, the power door locks would not do anything, no dash lights.

Got out, opened the hood, glared at things, nothing appeared shorted out, touched the wires on the battery, the horn honked & wipers turned on (the knob was off), and then things started up just fine again.

It feels like something is shorted out, but I don't know what to do. All the connections seem tight. None of the wires off the battery have melted insulation or anything. I've got a dual battery kit with Optimas, both reading over 12v, so it isn't likely that the battery has gone dead. That was all installed nearly a year ago so it is installed correctly.

Now that I think back there have been two other 'weird' incidents. Last month I got in, cranked up, there was a 'beep' and the clock radio reset itself - started up fine immediately.

Back in January I was driving home and all the gauges went dead (dash lights off, needles to 'zero') and then came back while I was still driving. Happened twice within a few minutes, never happened again.

Zombie Killer - 2010 Unlimited - Dark Charcoal Pearl
Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Wheeler

No Start issues

Forums are rampant with this issue! Do a search here (I know you'll get a million threads/posts) and you find many different methods to try and fix this.
My best recollection is: 1) pull M30 (white) fuse, wait 5min, install fuse and try start. 2) pull batt pos+ cable and pos+ cable going to "dual batt" solenoid, carefully, momentarily jump a wire from those two pos+ cables to a ground source, wait 5min, install pos+ cables to batts and try to start. 3) Go to stealer, explain problem, they'll probably REFLASH your computer; and that may end up being the best solution.

6" FTLA w/HD TB & SS,
JKS spg rets., rr spg mnts.
37" BFG KM2, 17x9 MT clssc II, Blstn 5100,
Finishline West RB, LoD FB, SB XRC10
PP mod'fd boat sldrs, ARB rr DC's, TERA 44 frt xl hsg,
Sup'r CrMo xls, 5.13 R&P, Reel 1310 DS,
Kilby Evap, Bnchmrk KISS, B&M Trans culr,
sPOD; Aeroforce, FlashPac, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow relo,
Cobra 75, 4' Firestik, Woods Hood & TG holds
post #3 of 3 Old 04-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Rock God

I'm having a similar issue. I pulled the J13 fuse and put it back in and the jeep started fine. It has happened 3 times in the last 3 days. Once the jeep starts it will start up fine the rest of the day. My issue doesn't sound like the TSB below. The battery has juice just won't crank over. The first time I tried starting it 3 times and on the 4th it started fine. I tried different keys and same issue.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode